RasPi controlling lots of WS via ArtNet

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
metalshot

hello there
i'm using the mobile version of QLC on an Raspberry 4 4gb, Sandisk Ultra µSD
The Raspberry is overclocked at 2Ghz with a passive Headsink/Enclosure (such a full aluminium case with stamps on cpu, ram...)

Also the RasPi is set as a accesspoint (hard adressed, without dhcp). I'm sending via ArtNet (via QLC @broadcast) to some ESP32-WiFI-Notes with WS2812LEDs. Conntrolled by an Akai APC Mini via Midi/USB. webinterface running
Everythink is powerd by some USB-Powerbanks with "2,5A output". The Raspberry+Akai takes about 700-800mA (peak less <1,2A) on his own powerbank.
i think.. well.. as Massimo said, it's a Raspberry, but even if I try to controll 50 LEDs, the playback is stocking. but it works quite well
But at least i've tried to controll 144 LEDs (432channel). Well i never testet it at home such long, but on the field the Playback stopped after about 30-90sec and the akai didn't change colors when pressing a button. It seems, that the RasPi is hanging up. I have to plug out-in power to reboot the RasPi

the effects are scenes, at least with sometimes a lot of steps, because i've "exportet" different matrix (eg plasma, fill effects,..)

also i'm not a good pinguin keeper, i don't know how to see, if the RasPi is hanging or check other things. But the powerconsuming is falling at about 550mA if the playback is crashing

Could it be possible to run such a project with QLC@RasPi or expand it the possibilitys?

Thanks everbody
GGGss

Question: Why would one decide to overclock a Raspi, when there is possibly no need for that...
Only one universe? Raspi is well suited for that unless you have tad animations running on the screen. Add a little bit overhead for the wifi and some work when the web interface is refreshed and there you have it.
Or you have a power issue, or the Raspi simply hangs himself due to heat issues (overclocking). You measure the current consumed. What about the tension under load? How steady is the 5V supply?
Some users report a consumption between 3,8 - 6W (depending on the number of working cores - I assume all 4 cores for QLC+) = 760mA - 1200mA <<<-- this doesn't reflect your measurements.
Some users report a core temperature of 40-42°C in idle condition. Thermal throttling kicks in at about 80°C. I'd be surprised that this wouldn't be your case.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
metalshot

Hello
Thanks for your answer.

I#ve checked with a friend some thing.
i've overclockt at 1750mhz, not 2GHz. cpu-temp is around 50-55°C
well i've done it, because i thought, the playback would be smoother.

the powerconsumption ive messured with a laborety supply with stable 5,05V and i newer seemed to by undervolting ( vcgencmd get_throttled --> 0x0 )

i'm using one universe, because all my wifi eps32-notes connecting at the pi and i don't have to handle with ip-adresses. the notes have static ips, the pi don't do dhcp. so the pi can send at brodcast-ip .255 and all my notes are doing the same.

i don'T know how to set some overhead to wifi or the refeshing rate. at least, i dont need the webinterface. can you help me?

Thanks
metalshot

ok, sorry for doppelpost, but i've tried something

I've checked via top -p [qlcID] -H the cpu usage
at idle
%CPU task
~65-70 qlcplus
1 Universe
1 Qthread

with one scene (some LEDs flashing with 20ms on / 20ms of)
70 qlcplus
9 Qthread
1-2 Universe
by now, the playback is sometime leaking. without one task is freaking out.

With two scenes
70-75 qlcplus
17 qthread
10 Universe

with tree scenes running
for a short time
75 qlcplus
25 qthread
15 universe
- but after some seconds the qlcplus is crashing. cpu temp is around 50°C. wifi already running. ssh is working. webinterface not working
it seems to be such multicoring. one core is uccured the most, 1 to 2 cores seem to running the "QThread" and "universe"
i cant restart it with "sudo service qlcplus start". i have to replug the power source
GGGss

And what is your total system load? If QLC+ is consuming 70% CPU, it needs to share the rest of the processing power with the other threads running. My assumption is that you really are overstressing the Pi with 20ms timing.
I'm out of ideas -> @massimo to respond?
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
mcallegari

QLC+ consumes a lot of CPU when rendering graphic animations (e.g. faders running up and down)
Make sure to be on a "passive" page like virtual console.
Are you guys running o Xorg or not?
metalshot

Hello
i've tried something around
ive reinstalled QLC@pi with the newest Version
Ive just doing
- apt-get update
- installed dnsmasq + hostapd
- settet up my AP with static ip + DHCP (works perfect)
- reloadet my profile - bit "only" with 96 LEDs (288 channel)
- settet up my interfaces (ArtNet output @.255 broadcast + AKAI APC mini als input)

it has the same behavior as bevor. the playback sometime is leaking (even with slow timings), QLC takes about 80%@one core and if i'm acitivating the 3rd action, the QLC-task is crashing
now at first not overclocked

now 3 questions:
- @macallegari what du you meen with Xorg? i quess... i dont use it. i'm using the stock image from the download
- @GGGss what/how is to add wifi-overhead?

- i've tried the kiosk mode
in i've added the --kiosk but it seems not working. at the webinterface is already the simple desk. maybe this helps reduce the cpu-load...
i've also tried to deaktivate the webinterface, but this dont reduced the cpu-load :(

any idears?
mcallegari

Xorg is the window manager installed in most Linux distributions. If you're using the official image, then it's not present.

One question: how many universes are you using? QLC+ can span nicely on multiple cores if you use multiple universes.
Which network interface are you using to send data? Ethernet? Wifi? Some USB adapter?
metalshot

hello
i'm just using one universe. i'm sending via ArtNet with the biuldin wifi. Ethernet i don't use.

i have some little selfmade notes using an ESP32 (with integrated wifi) to controll WS2812-LEDs. Thise notes got a static IP. all in all i've got about 6 of them. therefor i don't have to controll which note i've taken (checking the IP of my note), QLC is sending at broadcast-ip (.255).
so all of my notes are doing the same - but i haven't to look, which one i've choosen - everyone is working the same and theoretecly i can use up to 252 notes without doing something in the project :-P
mcallegari

The network stack, even on a single universe, shouldn't consume that much CPU.
I would suggest (if you can) to try with another raspberry unit.
Also monitor the CPU temperature: if for some reason it is too high, the processor will lower the core frequency and the high CPU usage would be explained.