QLC+ 5.0.0 Beta1 release

Public announcements of new QLC+ releases.

PLEASE, do not post bugs and issues here !
mcallegari

At last, after 3 tough years, I decided to release a new version of QLC+ 5.
I'm promoting this to Beta but WARNING: this is still not ready for production.
The goal of the Beta series though, is to fix all the existing bugs for this subset of functionalities.

If you have a look at the usual public spreadsheet, there are still a few things missing like some Virtual Console widgets and Input Profile editor.
Smoke 3D preview is also still missing cause of the lack of a graphics programmer.

Major changes of this version compared to Alpha3 are
  • LED panel 3D preview,
  • Palettes and fanning
  • Simple Desk with keypad
  • An integrated fixture editor...which is basically a whole application inside another application.
Unfortunately LED (beam) bars are still not previewed correctly.

Bug hunting season is open then!
Let's make this rock solid.
OddSocks

Wow.

Well done Massimo.

Looking forward to playing with this.
TristanYoung

Happy QLC+ 5 beta 1 release day!

Thank you Massimo for releasing the first beta.

I am keen to give it a try, probably tomorrow night.

Is there anything I should be aware of when installing QLC+ v5 beta 1 in parallel with QLC+ v4.x.x?
mcallegari

Is there anything I should be aware of when installing QLC+ v5 beta 1 in parallel with QLC+ v4.x.x?
On which OS? on macOS and Linux, the packages are self contained. On Windows you need to specify a new installation folder.
v4 and v5 share the same configuration file (plugins conf mostly) so, in case, make a backup copy first.
giacomo

Glad to see this new step.
Could it be possible that beta 1 writes its conf with a different name or to a different folder?
Because 4 and 5 will have a long life aside and it would be much easier if they don't overlap.
I'm starting a production and I'd like to test the beta 1 during the first days, can I switch later to 4 or you know already that the files are not exchangeable?
sbenejam

Giacomo, To not interfere with the installation of QCL+ 4 better if you use the create-image.sh script. And run ./Q.Light.Controller.Plus-x86.64.AppImage created in your home directory after compilation is done.
keukenrol

Thanks for the release, what is the best method to report bugs? Straight into the V5 forum?
mcallegari

keukenrol wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:30 pm Thanks for the release, what is the best method to report bugs? Straight into the V5 forum?
Yes, this section
TristanYoung

mcallegari wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:32 am On which OS? on macOS and Linux, the packages are self contained. On Windows you need to specify a new installation folder.
v4 and v5 share the same configuration file (plugins conf mostly) so, in case, make a backup copy first.
Hehehe, sorry Massimo. I wrote that while very tired. I usually remember to say I'm running Windows.

Ok, so as long as I change the install directory, I'll be fine. And always make a backup. Understood. Thank you.
mcallegari

For the record guys, saying "it crashes", "it is unusable" or similar, doesn't help QLC+ 5 to improve at all. (also because it is written in the annoying popup at startup)
I need exact details to reproduce crashes and misbehaviours.
Same as QLC+ 4 issue reports.
Come on. It's not difficult.
Thanks
TristanYoung

Hi Massimo!

I notice there are no sticky posts asking people to provide useful issue reports.

Perhaps a sticky post for the appropriate forums might serve as a reminder of what you require (for those that bother to read).

- Version/build of QLC+
- Operating system version/build
- List of affected DMX devices
- Description of expected results
- Description of actual results
- Steps to reproduce
- Include a sample QLC+ workspace

I dislike having to coax information out of people. Like when an error window opens up, and they didn't bother to note the full error, and can't tell me what it said, but want me to magically fix the problem with nothing to go on.
hypernurd

Fantastic milestone Massimo. Congratulations and thank you for all your hard work to date. Can't wait to get playing with it.

Aidan (UK)
giacomo

QLC+5 is very pleasant and really a better experience, after playing with it a couple of days it's difficult to go back to v.4.
I also like that there is no right click, my sincere compliments.
After the fix for the last v.4 release, could we all agree to move on to the new v.5?
Otherwise I'm afraid that it will never land if you keep fixing v.4 in your spare time.
Any update around after this year?
We should start to use it (beginning with the "safe" occasions) because it needs to be tested, I'll do it.
A good hot summer to everybody.
jruder

Hello;

As a full time developer I understand things taking time, no doubt!

Just curious if this is still being worked on and if you would like feedback still.
Happy to spend the time if so.

Best regards --

Joe

edit....sorry, I honestly just now saw the boards for bug reporting. Nothing like missing the forest for the trees.....
Will install and give it a shot, thank you.
giacomo

Dear Massimo,
are there any plans for a new beta in the near future?
It would be nice for the community to have some info about the state of the project.
Thanks.
keukenrol

giacomo wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:58 pm Dear Massimo,
are there any plans for a new beta in the near future?
It would be nice for the community to have some info about the state of the project.
Thanks.
Beta 2 just got released today!