QLAB 4 Lights to control / passthrough ArtNet via QLC+ to USB DMX Dongle

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Mac OSX operating system
mick2b

I have a USB DMX dongle that QLC+ see's but QLAB 4 won't see as compatible.

I have a bunch of sequences already in QLAB 4 that are mainly visual and audio and that have lighting cues timed into it. These lighting cues are I want to pass out to some simple dimmer only controlled DMX lights.

I was hoping I could use QLC+ to bridge the ArtNet that qlab can send out into the QLC+ ArtNet plugin and then pass it out again to the USB DMX. This would be all done on the one computer (not physically networking two machines etc if possible)

My QLAB lighting patch settings are Output: Art-Net, Universe: 0, Sub-Net: 0, Net: 0

In QLC+ I've created a bunch of simple dimmer type fixtures to monitor them for any input and have patched universe 1 output to the USB DMX dongle. I can slide the faders up and down in QLC+ and it works outputting into the usb dmx ok.

On Universe 1 I've got 3 Art-Net options to choose from for input plugin:
1. 127.0.0.1
2. 192.168.1.21 (wifi)
3. 192.168.1.44 (ethernet)

I can see receiving packets increase when I have 127.0.0.1 selected (I don't actually know what 127.0.0.1 is, not that tech savvy), but don't know what data it is being received, nor can I get QLC+ to respond when I move the lighting channel faders in QLAB.
I've tried using the passthrough check button both on and off, but nothing..
When I have 192.168.1.21 or 44 selected, I don't get any incoming packets received in QLC+ that I can see.

I have also tried it using a completely separate Mac running qlab lights and both machines can see each other on the local area network, but I still don't get any art-net data coming in one either the wifi ip ArtNet or ethernet ip ArtNet addresses..

Is there something I'm supposed to do with the "Profile" section? in inputs/outputs
Is there something else I should do to make the fixture groups? The first fixture is Universe 1 - Address 1 - last is Universe 1 - Address 18. Corresponds to qlab addresses correctly from what I can see.
Do I need to do something with channels groups?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..
mcallegari

The universe written in the ArtNet packages is fundamental.
You need to use the same universe in QLC+
djoubbs

I ended up here hoping to find a solution, many many hours later I found one myself I thought it would be a good place to share!
Don't ask me to go into details, I don't know, I'm just a user :D

The communication between the 2 softwares uses the wifi network interface (because I would never use wifi during a live show anyway).
Therefor to work, the wifi card needs to be activated!
The trick was to have it working when not connected to a wifi network.
I found a terminal command to add a virtual ip adresse (or at least that's the way I understood it)

Here's what you need to do :

In your mac terminal, type in "sudo ifconfig en1 alias 10.100.100.1/24 up"
This creates a virtual IP, you need to redo this step everytime you shutdown your mac it seems.

QLab : In Qlab preferences, set Artnet lighting network interface to automatic and tick the use broadcast mode.
In Light settings, add instruments and choose output artnet (with 0 ; 0 ; 0), don't forget to (auto)-patch.

QLC : In the input/output tab at the bottom, in universe 1, select Artnet 1:10.100.100.1 as input and DMX USB as output. Tick the passthrough box.

That did it for me!