minor issue with X-Y Pad - Fixture min/max values

The issues found when using the Virtual Console
giacomo

hello,
today I've tried the X-Y Pad for the first time and I like it but I've found this annoying issue, I'm on Gnome 3.36:
when entering the min and max values for the Fixture's axis, I've to write first the max value and then the min value,
otherwise the min value changes when I enter the max value.
regards
giacomo

here a ready-made file to test it
Attachments
X-Y Pad fixture's axis.qxw
(2.13 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
sbenejam

I can confirm this issue. If you enter any value different from 1 in min value when change de max value min value changes to 1.
I'm on Ubuntu 20.04 with KDE Plasma.
edogawa

By entering min and max values, you mean directly in the XY area, dragging the small square end handles of the bars at the top and left side?

If so, I cannot confirm or reproduce this under KDE5 Plasma... here i can drag any of the end points of those "sliders" and that adjusts the green rectangle just as I expect.

If not, I don't understand at all ;-)
sbenejam

edogawa wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:57 am By entering min and max values, you mean directly in the XY area, dragging the small square end handles of the bars at the top and left side?

If so, I cannot confirm or reproduce this under KDE5 Plasma... here i can drag any of the end points of those "sliders" and that adjusts the green rectangle just as I expect.

If not, I don't understand at all ;-)
Entering the values directly in the minimum value and maximum value fields on the widget properties. I'm not tried dragging the handles.
edogawa

Ah my bad, I was not aware of that dialog...

indeed, I can confirm the behaviour - while entering the max value by selecting the current text and typing digits, the intermediate value gets evaluated immediately, causing the min value to reset to a number lower than this current max value...

the same happens the other way around, if you enter a min value higher than what's displayed for max, max is constrained to a value higher than the current min.

I've looked at the code in ui/src/virtualconsole/vcxypadfixtureeditor.[cpp|h] briefly. The QSpinbox widget is designed to work like this, it reports value changes immediately, and the application code reacts to that signal by running a slot function, which checks for the corresponding max/min boundary.

I'm not sure what to think of this, it indeed is annoying while entering values, but OTOH it makes sense to guard against physical limits.