Running QLC on Win XP

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Windows operating system
skyline1

I have just made a classic mistake I downloaded and installed the latest version of QLC+ on Windows XP on an old computer (2.4Gig Celeron)

I wondered why it wouldn't run but then I had a "lightbulb moment" XP is a 32 Bit O.S. and I was trying to run a 64 Bit program on it. The latest builds of QLC+ are 64 bit only.

I downgraded to the last version to support 32 bit (4.10.5) and everything worked great it will even support my 2 Touchscreens. I didn't think XP supported touch screens but gut it does and natively, it just doesn't support multitouch so no window resising with 2 fingers like on your phone or tablet but you can move the faders and scroll the screen with the scroll bars

Its like having a conventional fader desk but touch sensitive and huge. As many individual faders as you have Dmx Channels.

So if you are having the "this program cannot start" error it might be an idea to check what version you are running.

Massimo you were right it will run on a "Steam powered computer from a car boot sale" you just need to match your version to your system.

I know there IS a 64 Bit version of XP but I doubt this old processor will support it (I haven't checked actually) and driver support is patchy at best so you might have trouble getting devices to work.

A rackmount computer that cost me £30, two touch screens that I already had, a keyboard and mouse and I have a lighting controller to rival units costing thousands or even tens of thousands of pounds.

At the other end of the Cat 5e is an 8 Universe sACN Node Which probably cost under £200 to build and I have yet to fill 1 Universe let alone 8. If I ever need to expand above that (which is VERY doubtful) I could do it as there is no Max universe limit on QLC+ unlike most commercial offerings (unless you pay them loads of money of course)

So well done Massimo and keep up the good work I do hope V5 does happen although I appreciate how massive a task it is especially single handed with other things to do besides.

Best Regards Mark
mcallegari

QLC+ for Windows is still a 32bit application and v. 4.12.2 should still run on XP
skyline1

Hi Massimo

Versions up to 4.11.2 will run but not 4.12.0 onwards I get the "this program cannot start error" mentioned in other posts here

And the 2D visualiser won't work

On further investigation I think the problem may be not be with XP but the video card It is a Matrox Millenium G550 AGP with only 32 MB of video RAM (really ancient) I don't think it supports direct X or anything like that There is no mention of it in the spec

I was surprised that QLC will run at all with a video Card of this low a spec. Do you think this is the cause of the problem or is XP missing some support component required by QLC+

Best Regards Mark