Mackie Control Protocol issue [was: Can't bind ICON Platform M+ controller inputs]

Generic issues not specifically related to a QLC+ area.
Post here only if you can't really find the reason of an issue
mitscherdinger

Hi!
New cool tool for me: Icon Platform M+. Tried to use it with QLC+ and ran into problems:
Using gmidimonitor, I discovered the controller sends one pitchwheel event through one different MIDI channel, each fader/slider, in MCP-Mode. QLC+ can't handle this, or at least I don't know what to do to make QLC+ react to other MIDI channels than channel 1.
Is there a way to make QLC+ listen to more than one MIDI channel for one device? If not: Could [someone] please implement it?
Greets!
[Edit: added fader/slider in the sentence "Using gmidimonitor…"]
Last edited by mitscherdinger on Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
mitscherdinger

Checked a Behringer BCF2000 in "MC C"-Mode (which should tell us, we're using MCP):
This also doesn't works. MIDI Channel 2 is not recognized. (Besides other strange things as setting the fader back to 0 after using it, but this is not something I blame QLC+ for.)
So, this really looks to me like there is a problem with Mackie Control Protocol or just alternate MIDI channels than channel 1 and I'd be glad if someone (from developers or users point of view) could say something about it. I'd really love to use my new ICON for QLC+ - it has a master slider I missed in my recent setup.
[Edit: Typo in the model's name fo the Behringer device]
Last edited by mitscherdinger on Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitscherdinger

Come on, the Behringer BCF2000 is certainly one of the most used controller devices. Just power it on, set it up for MCP mode and try QLC+ with it!
Leave a reply, if you happen to make a MCP-device or make a MCP-device not work together with QLC+, whether it's Linux, MacOS or Windows!
GGGss

mitscherdinger wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:54 pm Hi!
New cool tool for me: Icon Platform M+. Tried to use it with QLC+ and ran into problems:
Using gmidimonitor, I discovered the controller sends one pitchwheel event through one different MIDI channel, each, in MCP-Mode. QLC+ can't handle this, or at least I don't know what to do to make QLC+ react to other MIDI channels than channel 1.
Is there a way to make QLC+ listen to more than one MIDI channel for one device? If not: Could [someone] please implement it?
Greets!
BCF2000 doesn't have a pitch wheel ... or are you reading (sniffing) a pitch wheel event in gmidimonitor?
Doesn't QLC+ has an option to listen to ch 1-16 in settings? I think so
Owning a BCF2000 I am completely happy with the way it's implemented (not using multiple pages / frames / ...) because I use it as a general/global intensity desk...
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
mitscherdinger

Reading my post again, I discovered I forgot to mention the word "fader" or "slider" to make it clear what's happening…
GGGss wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:34 pm BCF2000 doesn't have a pitch wheel ... or are you reading (sniffing) a pitch wheel event in gmidimonitor?
That's right: If you're setting the BCF2000 up to work in MCP mode, every fader sends a pitchwheel event in one different MIDI channel, each. Fader 1: pitchwheel event channel 1, fader 2: pitchwheel event channel 2, and so on…
GGGss wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:34 pmDoesn't QLC+ has an option to listen to ch 1-16 in settings? I think so
Really? I should have missed that preference, then… Where is it?
GGGss wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:34 pmOwning a BCF2000 I am completely happy with the way it's implemented (not using multiple pages / frames / ...) because I use it as a general/global intensity desk...
But your not using it in MCP mode, right? Would you please try that and give me a reply, if the QLC+/Behringer-combination is still working as expected?
mitscherdinger

mitscherdinger wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:33 pm
GGGss wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:34 pmDoesn't QLC+ has an option to listen to ch 1-16 in settings? I think so
Really? I should have missed that preference, then… Where is it?
Okay, found it! In Input/Output: Click on the MIDI-controller device and configure the plugin pressing the "tools"-icon.
I can set input and output to channel 1-16. Then, the sliders are all recognized.

So, this part is working, now.
Unfortunately, the ICON Platform M+ now behaves as the Behringer BCF2000: Using a slider in a configured slider matrix, it sets the right value, at first. But in the moment you stop touching the slider, it goes back to 0. The value doesn't go back, but if you want to change the slider position, you start at 0, again.

You can change slider position with the mouse - and everything works as expected. Besides the fact that this position is now the one that the controllers slider snaps back to…

This is exactly the same behavior I experienced with the Behringer Device - so, there seems to be something I missed in the preferences or QLC+ does have a problem, here…
Any clue?
GGGss

mitscherdinger wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:46 am
Unfortunately, the ICON Platform M+ now behaves as the Behringer BCF2000: Using a slider in a configured slider matrix, it sets the right value, at first. But in the moment you stop touching the slider, it goes back to 0.
WHY? If you set a hardware slider on the BFC it stays there. (unless you set an other value and the feedback mechanism (motorized controllers) does influence this behavior).
mitscherdinger wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:46 am The value doesn't go back, but if you want to change the slider position, you start at 0, again.
What value and which slider? The mechanical one? or the one on screen?
Again with the BFC (even after a feedback mechanism) it stays at its last position and you can alter this value around that point.
mitscherdinger wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:46 am You can change slider position with the mouse - and everything works as expected. Besides the fact that this position is now the one that the controllers slider snaps back to…
That is where the motorized faders come into place - being a very nice feature for that piece of hardware. If you use feedback - the hardware sliders follow the mouse movements on VC.
mitscherdinger wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:46 am This is exactly the same behavior I experienced with the Behringer Device - so, there seems to be something I missed in the preferences or QLC+ does have a problem, here…
Any clue?
I cannot confirm this behavior except maybe the MCP mode??
(and thinking about a pitch wheel, it has a spring forcing it back to central position ... maybe the way this is implemented???)
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
mitscherdinger

I made two videos which should describe my MCP controller problems with QLC+:
This one's made with the Behringer:
https://www.riotmusic.de/klau/index.php ... DFRaCL3fNK
As you can see: It's not exaclty the same behavior as the ICON's: Using the mouse with the second slider on the desktop only affects the first slider of the controller. Interesting!
The second one shows the ICON:
https://www.riotmusic.de/klau/index.php ... MmREYc7Qad
Hope, that shows the point…
djkevino

We're having the exact same problem with the platform M+. I have no clue what we're doing wrong..
mitscherdinger

GGGss wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:23 amI cannot confirm this behavior except maybe the MCP mode??
Hey, @GGGss!
Still wondering if your Behringer BCF2000 works with QLC+ in MCP mode.
As I wrote, mine does not. My ICON Platform M+ does not. And djkevino's ICON does not.
So, I guess: MCP support is broken, isn't it?
BUT: Supporting MCP on one device should theoretically mean that every device that can speak MCP could be supported by QLC+. This would add lots of devices to control QLC+ with…

Greets!
Mitsch
logarythmus

I have the same problems with the motor fader mit an BFC2000 and an Behringer X-touch - any new clues?