New logo design

This is a place for sharing with the community the results you achieved with QLC+, as a sort of use case collection.
You can share photos, videos, personal hardware/software projects, interesting HOWTO that might help other users to achieve great results.
marekjedrzejewski

Hi there! I just learnt about DMX and me being Linux nerd, QLC was pretty much obvious choice and it works pretty great, only things that I'm missing are ability to control things by oscillators and I didn't quite get synchronizing to music right (Lightkey for Mac does this pretty good IMO). Those are things I probably can't help with, but I am able to make a logo, which I also thought could use some love :)
Here's what I came up with:
Let me know if you like it, and if you'd like to use it, what files I should provide :)

Thats really nice, I love how you've made the plus become the filament of the light, it's very clean and modern.
marekjedrzejewski

I updated it a little bit, cause I didn't like 4 bars on the bulb base:

EDIT: Can't decide now. 4 bars version resembles letter Q more, and that was one of my goals, 3 bar version has big difference between contour width and base width and loses that a bit. I tried to make 3 bars version out of 4 bar version before, but that didn't look good, so I shrunk the contour to make it work without 4th bar. For 3 days I'm like 'yeah, it's fine now' and when I return I make another changes, cause I don't think that anymore :D
mcallegari

Hi, thanks for this.
I like it but I think it needs some more adjustments.
For example, what about a transparent background version? What if the background is black?
QLC+ logo is everywhere and it must look OK in any condition.
Can I send you an email so that you can send me a vectorial version?
marekjedrzejewski

mcallegari wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:16 am Hi, thanks for this.
I like it but I think it needs some more adjustments.
For example, what about a transparent background version? What if the background is black?
QLC+ logo is everywhere and it must look OK in any condition.
Can I send you an email so that you can send me a vectorial version?
I posted preview only, so I tried to show possible versions (black on white, white on black, totally flat, with a bit of gradients), of course it can have transparent background, should also work with different colors than yellow, but might sometimes need a little adjustment, but that's what different versions and vector graphics are for :)
Yeah, send me e-mail and I can send you files, and we can figure out what works best :)
memrex

Nice!

Keep in mind that logos usually are not displayed this big. In the colored scaled-down version the plus is hardly visible anymore due to its small size and contrast.

qlc20.png
qlc20.png (715 Bytes) Viewed 12291 times
qlc40.png
qlc40.png (1.38 KiB) Viewed 12291 times
qlc40bw.png
qlc40bw.png (1.15 KiB) Viewed 12291 times
mcallegari

memrex wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:09 pm Nice!

Keep in mind that logos usually are not displayed this big. In the colored scaled-down version the plus is hardly visible anymore due to its small size and contrast.

qlc20.png
qlc40.png
qlc40bw.png
This too
marekjedrzejewski

memrex wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:09 pm Nice!

qlc20.png
qlc40.png
qlc40bw.png
I believe for small sizes it would need another, simplified variant, something like this 16x16 version. For bigger sizes changes wouldn't have to be so drastic :)
16px_version.png
16px_version.png (1.71 KiB) Viewed 12282 times
marekjedrzejewski

I tried making size variants, but the fact that plus is not really visible on small sizes became apparent. Even on 48x48 which is not that small it was barely visible. It's much better with colors from the opposite site of color wheel. I don't know how important yellow color is for the logo, but plus should be white or whiteish at least in color version. If yellow is not that important, maybe using other color would be better option?
qlc_colorvariants_48.png
Anyway, here's svg if anyone else would like to play around with it (extension changed to .txt as forum wouldn't let me upload svg):
qlc_baseshape.txt
(4.52 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
marekjedrzejewski

qlc_logo_sizes.png
Tadam! Has yellow for lightbulb and plus is visible even on smaller sizes :)

Speaking as a graphic designer, I think the purple as a contrast colour feels a bit chocolate box, I agree with the need for the scaled icons, but the flat (no drop shadow) and black and yellow gives this a very clean, and contemporary look which takes the projects existing design and brings it forward into the 2020s rather than the 2000s. It does this by using the flat style and moving away from the skeumorphic style of the original.

Simply put, the original colour scheme on the new vectors would likely look better.
marekjedrzejewski

0002 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:07 pm Speaking as a graphic designer, I think the purple as a contrast colour feels a bit chocolate box, I agree with the need for the scaled icons, but the flat (no drop shadow) and black and yellow gives this a very clean, and contemporary look which takes the projects existing design and brings it forward into the 2020s rather than the 2000s. It does this by using the flat style and moving away from the skeumorphic style of the original.

Simply put, the original colour scheme on the new vectors would likely look better.
I liked the original colors better too, though it really does make plus invisible on smaller sizes, and this version is fixing that.
Here's the size adjusted version with original colors swapped.
qlc_logo_sizes_yellow.png
Didn't make it flat, cause shadows help shapes be more visible, and plus is barely visible on 16x16 and 24x24 version and only somewhat visible on 32x32. Only thing that makes it visible is using darker color on it, and that's the thing that emits light in a lightbulb, so I don't think that it should be darker except for black on white version.

Anyway, here's svg version so you can play around with it too (but have to change extension first):
qlcplus_icon.txt
(48.63 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
mcallegari

I've added the SVG extension to the forum
Can you please attach the yellow version of the last screenshot?
marekjedrzejewski

mcallegari wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:56 pm I've added the SVG extension to the forum
Can you please attach the yellow version of the last screenshot?
I attached version with colors grouped together, so it can be easier checked how certain combinations look, unfortunately, I get
Error

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct.
Which prevents me from uploading it, so it's txt again:
qlcplus_icon_color_groups.txt
(41.68 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Yestalgia

I really love this look.

@Massimo would you be interested in myself and @marekjedrzejewski collaborating on a test version with new theming for QLC+?

I'm excited to help more on the Dev side and have some experience with graphic design. My plan would be to start with 4 then move to 5 once we're happy.

Keen to get your thoughts.

Cheers
Yestalgia

Hey Massimo,

I've modified the design based on your feedback. I'd really appreciate you taking a look and telling me what you think.

Here are the main adjustments:
  • Transparent Background concern has been taken care of through it being a circle.
  • Background can be any colour as there is enough padding to separate it.
  • Contrast has been increased through outlining the "+" and increasing the relative thickness of the "screw" relative to the "halo"
  • The impact of the "Q" is increased through moving the screw closer to the centre
  • The impact of the lightbulb image is increased through the addition of a "Live" terminal at the base.
  • QLC+ Users like to keep it simple. The drop shadows and small curvatures have been removed to aid this.
Big thanks to marekjedrzejewski for giving the starting point.

Here is an SVG.
V5.svg
(2.48 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Here are the 64 and 128 px exports:
logo-v5-64x64.png
logo-v5-64x64.png (1.83 KiB) Viewed 9753 times
logo-v5-128x128.png
logo-v5-128x128.png (3.82 KiB) Viewed 9753 times
If all is well I'd like to work on the other UI element icons.

Kind regards,
Lachie
mcallegari

I still have a concern regarding small icons.
For example, look at the Chrome tab above: you can still recognize a Q, while the + is barely visible (but getting closer is still a +)
This new icon becomes a black circle inside a yellow circle. Can't really recognize it compared to a larger version.
I played a bit with stroke weight in Inkscape and it improves a bit but I still need to think about it
Changing logo is not something trivial
marekjedrzejewski

How about something even more minimal, something similar to this?
mcallegari

Sorry, but this reminds me of THIS :)
Attachments
c870x524.jpg
GGGss

mcallegari wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:48 pm Sorry, but this reminds me of THIS :)
I couldn't resist Massimo...
You Nailed the Bullet?
YES YOU DID

-my deeply profound respect to you buddy-
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore