How to control widgets with MIDI _and_ OSC ?

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
shivahoj

Hello,
I can assign a midi controller Knob or Button( AKAI APC40, in my case) to any Virtual console Widget (Faders, buttons etc. )
I also can control those widgets through OSC.
both of them work fine, by themselves.
But are they mutually exclusive?

Lets suppose, I want to control the Pan and Tilt of a fixture with the MIDI Controller, when I am at my desk, and via wifi with my iPad, when I am on stage.
how do I do that?
I can only enter one device a a time in the "external inputs" section of the "controller properties" window.
Fixture: GLP Impression Spot one w/ Artnet/DMX (2x)
Macbook pro, OSX 10.13.4, QLC+ 4.12.2
Generic touch screen PC, with debian 10 linux, QLC+ 4.12.2
MIDI: AKAI APC40, Doepfer pocket fader, Radium 49 Keyboard
DMX: enttec USB pro
shivahoj

I found a (wasteful) solution myself:
Make as many copies of the widget as you have input channels (in my case two, if you use one Midi device and OSC)
and assign the first widget control input to the first input device, the first copy of that widget to the second, and so on.

Hope this helps.
Fixture: GLP Impression Spot one w/ Artnet/DMX (2x)
Macbook pro, OSX 10.13.4, QLC+ 4.12.2
Generic touch screen PC, with debian 10 linux, QLC+ 4.12.2
MIDI: AKAI APC40, Doepfer pocket fader, Radium 49 Keyboard
DMX: enttec USB pro
Franzi

To avoid the duplication of your "console", I would made a "hidden" or "shadow" dimmerarray in a sepearte univers and map this to the "real world" widgets.
Now that the real vc widges depends on ony one loopback dimmer, I thinks it´s easier to mix and match.
However, the hidden controlls must be duplicated to be controlled by two different controllers of course.
Two inputs.qxw
(32.35 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
maquelle

Hello,
I'm really happy to find this post since it describes exactly what I want to do but with 2 MIDI Controllers (instead of MIDI and OSC).

I have a Behringer X-Touch Mini on which there are 2 layers and the slider uses a different control channel depending on which layer is selected.
So it's impossible to use this slider as 'Grand Master' on both layer.
I thought I could use the method described here but it doesn't work.

I downloaded your test file to understand but I can't get it to work.
When I move one shadow slider (59 top), it moves the real one.
When I move the other shadow slider (59 bottom), it also moves the real one.
But if I move another time the first shadow slider, nothing happens until I uncheck the red cross to reinit channel override.

Have I missed something or does this method works on a previous version only ?
I use QLC+ 4.12.2 on Windows 10.

Thanks for your help
dennismazzolin

hi everyone! I have a similar problem. I would to use two OSC controller for my virtual consolle. now I'm trying two touchOSC apps on iPad and iPhone, and in QLC+ I can receive inputs from every app. (iPad and iPhone have the same layabout with the same channel patch) How I can send the same feedback to two device? I have tried to use passtrouth universe and loopback but I have no idea how they work exactly. :?: :?: :?:
etchonmind

Why not do this externally?

QLC+ then only knows a single source of truth and you can mangle things to your liking. All you´d need is some software that allows to merge the different control data streams to a single one and a connector that links the output to QLC+.

As an example, let´s use two MIDI controllers that are utilizing one USB port each, so your OS and therefore QLC+ see them as separate devices. I´ll use Ableton Live as an example, but many other programs will work as well. I just don´t have any open source sequencer in use, but I´m sure there are options. Bome MIDI Translator Pro for advanced mangling.

1. Connector
On Windows, I use loopMIDI by Tobias Erichsen. Create a local virtual MIDI cable and set QLC+ to read from / send to that cable. Let´s name that cable "VMC-1" for this example.

2. Merger
Ableton track 1 is reading from USB MIDI device A
Ableton track 2 is reading from USB MIDI device B
Both tracks are set to output to "VMC-1" channel 1

3. Result
QLC+ reads from VMC-1, channel 1 and you can freely assign any controls you like.

You can add more controllers that way or do more complex setups with more channels, funny processing etc.

If QLC+ does not run on the same machine, use rtpMIDI instead loopMIDI to send MIDI over TCP/IP.
baldassauro

Hi everyone,
i was trying to do the same thing but no luck, but have you tested this thing in Qlc5 demo 3? It's seems working: apparently you can add as many input command as you want. hope it's not a bug haha
GGGss

baldassauro wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:08 pm Hi everyone,
i was trying to do the same thing but no luck, but have you tested this thing in Qlc5 demo 3? It's seems working: apparently you can add as many input command as you want. hope it's not a bug haha
Surely not, QLC v5 has been designed to support multiple inputs. Have a look at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... li=1#gid=0 in chapter 7
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore