DMX-HUE on a Pi4 - service run order

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
studioben

I am trying to run qlcplus on a pi4b to control theatrical lighting and phillips hue bulbs with a single device. I've paid for and burned the image and succeeded at getting it to boot (after doing the hdmi forcehotplug fix from another thread) and it's functioning and reachable on the network but....

I need to be able to start up my dmx-hue bridge controller before the qlcplus.service starts up. I have created a dmx-hue service which starts up the dmx-hue software. But qlcplus is not successfully controlling the lights- there's a known error from the dev on github which states that the dmx-hue software needs to be started before qlcplus. I have confirmed this:- Qlcplus doesn't control my lights if I start up the pi with the qlcplus service enabled and my dmx-hue service enabled- QLCplus web interface does effect my lights if I disable the qlcplus service (sudo sysctl stop qlcplus.service), reboot, (leaving my dmx-hue service as enabled) and then ssh into the rebooted pi and startup the qlcplus service using sudo systemctl start qlcplus.service

So, how can I ensure that my dmx-hue service has started before the qlcplus service tries to start? The qlcplus.service file is auto generated from somewhere, so I've been unable to edit and have changes stick.

PS:
Firstly, much praise and gratitude for this excellent software! Secondly, I have to credit Sinedied with their build of Art-Net node to control Philips Hue lights with DMX, which I refer to here as Dmx-hue. Grab it on git-hub! Thirdly, I'm so excited to implement this build into our studio! It's going to be a magnificient combination of full color hues and color changing fixtures.
mcallegari

Hi, the file you might want to look into is

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/qlcplus
Maybe adjust it to avoid starting the web interface and to start the hue bridge before QLC+.
studioben

I ended up writing my own shell script for .profile so that I could control start times- I ended up needing about a 20 second buffer before calling each service to start.

Thanks for your help!! I am now controlling a huge set of theatrical lighting AND phillips hue bulbs with a Pi4!

Now I just need to make a remote control interface that people can understand....
richmn

I have this same problem. Can anyone provide a specific solution on how to start QLC+ later (or DMX-HUE earlier) on my pi? I tried adding an @reboot command in cron to start dmx-hue, but that appears to be too late. QLC starts and then dmx-hue cannot launch. Thank you for any ideas you can share!