Unable to increase audio input levels for audio triggers.

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Mac OSX operating system
arretx

QLC+ 4.12.1 / OSX Mojave

Spent a greater part of the day trying to a) figure out how to get QLC to detect an audio input signal AND route the audio back to the main device output and b) interpret the incoming audio levels, as they're far too low to be usable.

My audio widget tops out at about 15-20% (which I'm guessing, because I can't see any graduated markings or meter levels). I haven't had any success figuring out how to create a simple flash function that moves to the kick beat of a simple 4/4 song because I can't get the levels high enough.

If I'm guessing between a visible 20% of a total 100% where 20% = 100% then it's 5 times harder to narrow down a trigger point on any given frequency. Any ideas how to fix this?
GGGss

Sorry to say but I never got the audio input working in a decent way. Now I use an other product for the audio analysis and have it send me (5ch) signals through Artnet. Vise versa, I'm sending Artnet packets to the analyser to influence the way it analyses the audio.
By this I'm getting kick, mid low, mid high, highs, total energy or a 5 band spectrum analyses.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
arretx

What is the other product you're using? I'm looking for a solution. Thanks!
GGGss

I guess there are multiple solutions in the market.
I don't want to make publicity but I'm using Lightjams solely for that purpose. It has quite some nice features concerning audio analysis... You'll have to buy a license if you want to take into your production.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
arretx

Decent value. Thanks.
yokosuna

Fredje, thx for "not advertising" Lightjams. ;-)

After looking around the software a little - and after the
looking at impressive videos - I wonder why you don't rely
exclusively on this solution.
(Just curious)

Yoko
GGGss

70%+ of my work consists of realtime busking, 15% special EFX (highly hardware related interaction between visitors and lighting), 10% debugging faults made by others (dim curves in theater f.i.) and 5% stand in for theater (which I don't like: too much waiting hours and dead-time)...

So therefore:
* I don't like the LJ's workload - the way it is conceptualized... way way way off of the mindset you need with the big 4(5) desks GMa, Ion, Hog, Chams, (QLC+).
* Lacking a decent customization of the interface (QLC+ VC solution is a no brainer for the untrained)
* and 'ow boy' - radiant influence from input to output ... really? You get into trouble very quick.

Invest some time with it and you'll see...
yokosuna

Thx. As always, a very well-founded answer.
I´m leaving this forum and wish to say goodby, thx again.
Yoko.
Allan53

Hello, GGGss!

I have posted the same question, no answer. The author of the software claims, that everything is OK, but seems to me that this is an unresolved issue?

Allan53
GGGss

For me this is still an issue ...
Massimo does his debugging with his inbuilt microphone and gets a 'decent' level in... While we are using the input as line in... which on windows does not provide a sufficient level.
janosvitok

My gut feeling is that there is some error in the formulas, but I don't have the time to check.
sheddo

Hi All,

FWIW, I have been struggling with the low signal problem as well for ages.
After having a problem with the audio levels on another PC, I stumbled across this which greatly improved the signal strength on QLC+

This is using the latest updates for Windows 10, (as at 01/01/2020, and QLC+ 4.12.2.
This was also done with QLC+ Running, and playing music playing from Spotify, (Spotify volume set to max) so I can see/hear the effects of changing settings.

Apologies in advance if this has been documented previously, but I had not found it when I was looking for a solution.

Enable "Stereo Mix" (If you haven't already)
Settings/System/Sound - "Manage Sound Devices" (There is one under Output and Input. It doesn't matter which one)
Under Disabled Click "Stereo Mix" and "Enable"
Back One
Under Input - Choose Input Device set to Stereo Mix, (if it hasn't already by default)

** This was the big revelation** Then Device Properties, (Under Input) Set input volume to Maximum. (This seems to be at %50 by default)

Back One
"Advanced sound options" at bottom.
Should not need to do anything here but check that volume for qlcplus.exe is set to max. I also changed the input device from Default to Stereo mix. (Shouldn't do much as Stereo Mix is the default anyway. Might be helpful if i change the default in the future for whatever reason)

Now I am getting signals much higher in QLC+.
Note; The Music player volume will directly affect the Input strength, so should be left at maximum. Changing the listening volume with the master volume does not.

No idea if it will work for you. But it greatly improved things for me!

Happy New Year. Here's hoping 2020 is onward and upward!
Cheers
Shanness

Thanks for the windows info (I've just bought my first windows computer since moving to linux when I had win95 :) to run touch designer).

For linux users running pulse audio, here's how I solved this problem.

To pump up the levels, set qlc to use the monitor audio source for whatever output you are playing through, and pump up it's volume over 100%

Code: Select all

pactl set-source-volume alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.monitor '150%'

And that means you can adjust the master output volume (as long as you don't set it to 0) without fucking up QLC. (And can change the QLC vol control next to the bars if it's too high)

To find the name of the monitor source to use above and in QLC, run this. The one under "RUNNING" is the one that's active.

$ pactl list | grep -B4 'Name:.*moni' | grep -i 'Name\|State'
	State: SUSPENDED
	Name: alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo-extra1.monitor
	Name: alsa_output.usb-Logitech_Inc._Logitech_USB_Headset_H340-00.analog-stereo.monitor
	State: RUNNING
	Name: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.monitor
	Name: combined.monitor
And this is how it looks after the volume command (notice the 150%)

$ pactl list | grep -C9 'Name:.*moni' | grep 'Name\|State\|Vol' | grep -A2 RUNNING
	State: RUNNING
	Name: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.monitor
	Volume: front-left: 98304 / 150% / 10.57 dB,   front-right: 98304 / 150% / 10.57 dB
You can also just pump up the volume for the QLC output

Grab the output ID :

$ pactl list | grep -i -B24 'qlc'  | grep 'Output\|Volume\|qlc'
Source Output #9
	Volume: mono: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
		application.process.binary = "qlcplus"
		application.icon_name = "qlcplus"
		application.process.binary = "qlcplus"
		application.icon_name = "qlcplus"
Then use that to pump it up.

$ pactl set-source-output-volume 9 '180%'
$ pactl list | grep -i -B24 'qlc'  | grep 'Output\|Volume'
Source Output #9
	Volume: mono: 117964 / 180% / 15.32 dB
Loving QLC by the way, thanks to everyone involved in developing it and the people helping out in these forums!