Audio Input and Routing Problem with External USB Sound

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Mac OSX operating system
arretx

QLC+ 4.12.1
Mojave 10.14.4
Scarlett 18i8 1st Gen USB Audio Interface

QLC recognizes the interface and offers both input and out put checkboxes, but selecting the external USB as the input would presume that there's a signal coming from the Scarlett via Line in or Mic inputs.

In addition to QLC+, I'm using an audio app that can select audio in/out sources independent of the system audio selections. So, if I'm playing a song in that app and it's sending the signal to my Audio interface, there is no input for QLC+ to listen to unless I physically loop the signal back into the interface.

On the other hand, if I use SoundFlower 2CH as the output in that same app, I can see a signal in QLC+ when I test the input/output audio settings, but that audio isn't routed back to my interface so I can actually hear it...

...unless I use Ableton Live with monitoring by passing the signal through a track and out to the audio interface, which causes a latency problem between what QLC+ senses, and what I hear.

Is the audio triggering feature designed to be able to be triggered by audio playing on the same device that's running QLC+ or is it better to just have an external music source?

Should I be using something like LoopBack to run everything on the same system?