Slow Startup on Mac

Generic issues not specifically related to a QLC+ area.
Post here only if you can't really find the reason of an issue
sstevemca

Hi

Wonder if anyone can help?

I have suddenly started to experience very slow startup of QLC+ on a Mac.

The program seems to hang as the startup progress bar is almost complete or after it has disappeared. I have tried reinstalling but it doesn't seem to help. Once the program is running all seems fine.

I am using the latest version of QLC and the Mac is fully up to date.

Thanks in advance.
PiotrNowik

It's not only Mac issue.
I experienced similar problem on my laptop with Windows 10. When I click on QLC+ icon it starts after 10-20 seconds.
I'm using still the 4.11.2
---
Generic USB-DMX box(es)
Korg nanoKONTROL2
Windows 10
nmaddix

I'm having the same issue, I think.

QLC v4.12.2 on Max OSX

When I open QLC+ I immediately get the mode selection dialogue box. If I choose fixture editor it opens right away.

If I choose Q Light Controller Plus, it takes 45 seconds (!) to load. Nothing is shown on the screen during that time.

It also takes 45 seconds to load a very basic workspace (one RGB fixture and one scene).

Worked fine when I first got it. What got corrupted?
mcallegari

I'd suggest to delete the QLC+ configuration file and try again.
See https://www.qlcplus.org/docs/html_en_EN ... uning.html to find the file.
Might be some plugin configuration slowing the startup.
nmaddix

mcallegari wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:16 pm I'd suggest to delete the QLC+ configuration file and try again.
See https://www.qlcplus.org/docs/html_en_EN ... uning.html to find the file.
Might be some plugin configuration slowing the startup.
Great, thanks. That fixed the slow startup time.

It still takes almost a minute to load a project file with one fixture and one scene.

EDIT: I created a new project with one fixture and one scene. That one loads in a second. The previous project with one fixture and one scene loads now in 15 seconds. There should be no difference, at least logically. Another project with more fixtures takes about a minute.
mcallegari

I guess it's the same issue: in the project file you're loading a plugin which is slow to load (maybe MIDI? Non-existant network interface?)
You could try to edit/empty the InputOutputMap block at the beginning of the project file.
nmaddix

mcallegari wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:57 pm I guess it's the same issue: in the project file you're loading a plugin which is slow to load (maybe MIDI? Non-existant network interface?)
You could try to edit/empty the InputOutputMap block at the beginning of the project file.
That seems to be the case, thanks!

Massimo, any chance you can take a look at my recent thread about jitter on the Artnet interface when enabling more than one universe? That's unfortunately keeping me from moving forward with QLC+ and I haven't been able to get it sorted out. Grazie!
techniek

Yes I have had this slow startup problem on PCs.
I prepared a 7 universe show, then copy the file to the production laptop and there it takes a few minutes to load the file.
Deleting the <InputOutputMap> segment in the file fixes this problem.
So it looks like the IP settings are giving this behaviour. Perhaps this can be looked at ?.
I any tesing is required I am offering my time ..
mcallegari

If a network interface is not found, QLC+ will retry a few times and see if it's just being raised by the OS.
This has been implemented for the Raspberry Pi, to catch a slow DHCP server or a lazy network interface.
Can be useful on PC too where QLC+ is started at boot time.

In other words: when porting a project to another PC you need to adjust the IO map and adapt it to the new IO config.
Spitfirelive

An option on boot to program offline would be awesome or select setup. I sometimes carry my laptop without the controller rack to prep. It houses the dock which is my network card and usb interface. The slow down is a nightmare but if we had an option on boot, that would fix that particular issue for me.
GGGss

psst: if you open your project file, you can simply delete to entries for your devices and save. Now your project will open without the timeouts...
Warning: create a backup before editing. If you break the structure of the project file, you break the project in total.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore