Override Scene

Request a feature that you would like to see in QLC+.
Explain in details why you would need it and which is your usage case.
jszabolcs2006

I would like to create a button on the VirtualConsole that can do an override on the running functions/scenes/etc.
Lets say I have got some moving heads and washes and I would like to create a button that blacks all the fixtures and turns the blinders on. But as soon as I release the button everything returns to the previous state.
Is there a solution for this problem?
DIY open DMX (USB-DMX) box(es)
Novation Zero SL MKII
Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS
andres robles

Hello,
I think that is possible for a long time and it is something simple to do ... (maybe I do not understand what you are asking for) ....
My suggestion:
create your scenes with your spot and wash

create a scene with all the dimmer channels of your spot and wash in the off state, and turn on the blinders,

In VC, create your buttons and / or slider with your scenes / fx spot and wash

create a specific button that contains the scene that turns off everything and lights blinders, and gives the property of "flash button", assign an external control "button type"

In theory you must turn off everything and activate blinkers when pressed ...
In theory you must return everything to its previous state when released
In theory it will only be replaced if there is an active chase and the button press time is greater than the time remaining for the next step in the chase that contains elements turned off by the button ....

The latter should not be a problem

I do not know if this solves your problem, but I think it should ..., I do not know if I understood your solution ...

some things are solved changing priorities of HTP / LTP channels ... but I do not think this is your problem ....

I hope this solves your problem (if I understand and I can explain myself, and Google translator helps me translate ...) :)
jszabolcs2006

I have tried your idea! Thanks for the fast respone!
But I have another problem. If I set the dimmer channels to LTP, then the submaster faders will not work correctly. Any ideas?
For example I have got a few washes and a few robots. I have submasters for each groups dimming. If I use LTP, then the submaster always sets zero to the channels.
Novation Zero SL MKII
Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS
DJLadonin

I asked developers about this feature long time ago, but things didn't change, it's no good.
Problem is more complex. For example: I have running chaser-XY_effect-etc. on my moving heads. I need function (static), that override everything (XY_position, color-gobo-shutter-dimmer) for these moving heads. For static arguments I can use loopback feature (there is solution somewhere at forum), but for dynamic values (XY_position, color/gobo/focus/etc chaser) it not works, because LTP. So, shit happens.
Maybe, solution is in this way: priority. As I understand, Simple Desk has priority of DMX values then VC. So, maybe, Massimo or another developers can implement "middle layer" between VC and SimpleDesk for these "overriding functions" in VC?
BTW, in Sunlite Suite there is "Master page", that can be configured to have priority of Fixtures Pages. I used Sunlite a lot of time, and it's really cool for busking: at "Master page" I usually had color scenes (ALL_RED, ALL_BLUE), shutter flash scenes (All_Strobo_color), static scenes (ALL_pos_Scene, FULL_ON_Scene). So, during work I used Fixtures Pages for moving/color/gobo/etc of 5 types of moving heads and had bunch of pre-programmed static scenes, that had effect on all these 5 types of moving heads.
With best regards, DJ_Ladonin
Using QLC 4.12+Macbook Pro+EnttecPro+Nanokontrol 2
andres robles

jszabolcs2006 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:51 am I have tried your idea! Thanks for the fast respone!
But I have another problem. If I set the dimmer channels to LTP, then the submaster faders will not work correctly. Any ideas?
For example I have got a few washes and a few robots. I have submasters for each groups dimming. If I use LTP, then the submaster always sets zero to the channels.

Hello, you say that you use submaster to dim some groups of devices, but changing the channel mode to LTP does not work ... instead of creating submaster, it uses a slider in level mode controlling the Dimmer channels of the fixtures or group of fixtures that interest you ..... This can make the behavior you're looking for ..... I think .... Greetings
RockstarLighting

andres robles wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:58 pm Hello,
I think that is possible for a long time and it is something simple to do ... (maybe I do not understand what you are asking for) ....
My suggestion:
create your scenes with your spot and wash

create a scene with all the dimmer channels of your spot and wash in the off state, and turn on the blinders,

In VC, create your buttons and / or slider with your scenes / fx spot and wash

create a specific button that contains the scene that turns off everything and lights blinders, and gives the property of "flash button", assign an external control "button type"

In theory you must turn off everything and activate blinkers when pressed ...
In theory you must return everything to its previous state when released
In theory it will only be replaced if there is an active chase and the button press time is greater than the time remaining for the next step in the chase that contains elements turned off by the button ....

The latter should not be a problem

I do not know if this solves your problem, but I think it should ..., I do not know if I understood your solution ...

some things are solved changing priorities of HTP / LTP channels ... but I do not think this is your problem ....

I hope this solves your problem (if I understand and I can explain myself, and Google translator helps me translate ...) :)
I have also very much been wanting an over ride feature. I tried the above and it dies not work. Yes, you can LTP the dimmer channels, but that creates another set of problems.
jszabolcs2006

I have tried all your ideas, but I have problems with each.
If I turn the channel to LTP, then I can make a partial black out as I want, but can not use multiple chasers as HTP dimmers. (Yeah I know... LTP is not HTP)
If I stay in HTP, I can not make them black out.
If I use a submaster, or level controller, then I can make an override, but I cannot make partial blackout together with blinders.
So it would be nice to make some kind of an override function, or maybe priority level. Maybe somewhere hidden. Or disabled by default and later in the project you have to enable... Or something like that.

For some explanation: I use QLC+ for live stages. Mostly concerts, mostly rock and metal. I need some eye catching things... I do not have the time in a live situation to turn on/off a bunch of things. I need to change a lot of channels with a push of a button and return to the previous state with the release of that same button.
Novation Zero SL MKII
Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS
RockstarLighting

jszabolcs2006 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:57 pm I have tried all your ideas, but I have problems with each.
If I turn the channel to LTP, then I can make a partial black out as I want, but can not use multiple chasers as HTP dimmers. (Yeah I know... LTP is not HTP)
If I stay in HTP, I can not make them black out.
If I use a submaster, or level controller, then I can make an override, but I cannot make partial blackout together with blinders.
So it would be nice to make some kind of an override function, or maybe priority level. Maybe somewhere hidden. Or disabled by default and later in the project you have to enable... Or something like that.

For some explanation: I use QLC+ for live stages. Mostly concerts, mostly rock and metal. I need some eye catching things... I do not have the time in a live situation to turn on/off a bunch of things. I need to change a lot of channels with a push of a button and return to the previous state with the release of that same button.
This is exactly the thing I've also been wanting. I have also tried everything and been doing a lot of experimenting, and can't get the function I want. Maybe version 5 will have this feature?
TEL0000

I'm looking for exactly the same thing.

I think all functions should have something like blending modes. So it could be an Overlay that completely ignores the other running scenes (like suggested in this thread). Or it could also be something like the opposite of HTP, so the lowest values will be sent. Or a mode that will send the average value between the running functions and the overlay function.

Might be a lot of programming, and maybe a little cpu heavy, but it would offer a whole world of possibilities.
jszabolcs2006

Maybe layers. And a layer could be transparent or blacked, or do a scene, or something...
I do not know what is the right solution about this problem, but it would be great if we could do some kind of override during a live show.
Novation Zero SL MKII
Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS
julianb240393

That function would be great, I have the same problems with some scenes.

Scenes should be able to override other running scenes or chasers.

And what also would be great would be a "Blackout" Mode. So if I activate "Scene A" it "blackouts" the Scenes I have chosen in configuration or script or what ever.
pixler089

Hello,

as I have written in the board "Software Development" I try at the moment to add new functionality to a fork of QLC+ 4 that I want to use on my shows, so I also planned to add something like an "Override" mode, but of course I don't know if these changes are OK for Massimo or if he has own concepts for realizing this. If Massimo already has a concept for this on QLC+5 it would be not useful to implement an other solution in QLC+4.

When I looked for a solution of a "Fixture Submaster Mode" (that is at the moment already working on my fork) I found that QLC+ is prepared for priorities, so I think adding an Override Mode would be not a big thing, but the question is the usage concept of this. Using a button this would be easy - if the button is active, it will replace the values set by other buttons and faders. But what if a scene is attached to Fader, what is the trigger if Override is active? Should override on a fader be a Crossfade, or switch the other Values from Scenes/Chaser/EFX off immediately?

There also already exists a concept named "Blending" (as TEL0000 suggested it) in QLC+ that enables to multiply the value of other scenes/chasers/value fader by a percentage set by an other fader and to add or subtract an offset, but this seems only to be used on QLC+5 and on RGB Matrix Editor at the moment, so I think it would be no problem to add these functionalities to an Override Concept.
NiteLites1

I don't know much about programming, so forgive me if this sounds dumb:

Couldn't an override option be added to a VC button?

The way an override option might work is taking whatever part of the code that makes a slider in submaster mode affect whatever is in a frame

and taking whatever part of the code is in the blackout button that makes it override and return to previous state, but would affect whatever is in a frame as well.

Hope this isn't confusing.

I would do this myself if I knew how.
projectp

I am soooo looking forward to an override function. I have the same problem.

Sometimes I just want to press a "strobe" Button, then everything goes off but every fixture which is capable of this goes into a strobe mode. As soon as I release the button everything goes back to normal as if nothing happened.

I'd be glad when QLC+ would get this feature in the future. It's the only real thing that's missing for me.
kabook83

Bump.

A TEMP/OVERRIDE (whatever the name) button could be really useful.
For it to have useability it should remember (save?) the previous state of all affected channels in order to "bring them back" after turning it off (because, LTP). Maybe it could be done via a script ?
Robatzen

Another bump for the overwrite function.

I've already posted my problem here which would be fixed if a button could act as an overwrite.
viewtopic.php?p=63542
electivefool

Bump

Having something that works like MA executors would make it much easier to busk.

I'm having to put everything in a solo frame and actively play the lights! (I bud EDM) it's fun but it makes me work for the money!

Idk much about the back end of QLC but Perhaps the solution lies in a sort of frame hierarchy? Maybe a 3rd type of golden frame, functions triggered within which inhibit the universe(s) they apply to.

That way you don't have to stop or pause any running functions
Last edited by electivefool on Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
rajones203

BUMP!!!

Has this feature been addressed for version 5? It seems like a majority of buskers want this and the bright minds have laid out how it could be done in theory, but I see little response from anyone contributing to the main vision (Massimo’s). I think the priority/override feature is so crucial! I almost wanted to switch to the incredibly oversimplified light wave JUST to have this….

Ive never used MA, but I believe the X keys and how they work are what we’re trying to emulate.. I get this program is supposed to be simple (I see a lot of rebuttals with the excuse cued up that “It wouldn’t be desirable for all users”. I’ve got a rebuttal to that…. It’s an option!
______

Russell Jones
TV Professional - EVS, Producer/Director
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com
GGGss

rajones203 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:41 am Ive never used MA, but I believe the X keys and how they work are what we’re trying to emulate.
off-topic: the users used to program the X-keys to have those functionalities, because they are positioned well outside of the 'normal operation' region. It is mainly switching pages to functions using temp and higher priorities.

on-topic: a higher than normal priority would be soo nice but I can only try to imagine how much work that would mean... You all are aware that the internal engine has to be doubled?
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
rajones203

Touché on that answer. And I’m not one to judge the complexity of it, just based off what was said here, there were plenty of ideas spitballed.

I would be asking myself, how do the other guys accomplish the same thing… not trying to compare how software is written because I dont know. The curiosity kills me to find out though. I think “Lightwave”?? Has this feature predominant in their very simple “VC” you can build. Again, dont know if you can compare these two, but just wanted to throw it out.

Thanks for the info on the X Keys too!

How hard would it be to create some kind of Button priority that will simplify this crazy loopback system I see a lot have come up with and am planning to implement myself. I love how the loopback works, but man, I’m so intimidated by how much time it will take to custom build a feature like this that I feel, really could be built into the software.

Hate that I don’t know more about the coding, but I hope I can bring that End user opinion into the fold positively.
______

Russell Jones
TV Professional - EVS, Producer/Director
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com