Board for DMX-USB converter

The issues found when using the Input/Output Manager panel
tommix

Board for DMX-USB converter
Hello. I'm new to the forum. I'm not a professional in the lighting industry but in this period I have the technical "responsibility" of a theater, so I kindly ask for advice:
which DMX-USB converter I have to use to control from pc (SO win7 32bit) 10 par led (showtec compact par) + 12 par64, connected to a splitter (showtec). The maximum length of the dmx line is 30 m.
The converter should be recognized, if possible as well as by QLC, also by Freestyler, and the cost should not exceed 100 euro.
Does Qlc recognize the korg nanokontroll controller?
What is the difference between a 20-euro DMX-USB converter and a 100-euro converter?
Thanks and congratulations for the site.
edogawa

The QLC+ website has a dedicated page listing supported input and output devices.

USB DMX devices based on the FTDI chip are supported well by both QLC and Freestyler, AFAIK (I haven't ever worked with Freestyler). The manual has a section on FTDI driver installation per operating system.

I own an Enttec USB DMX Pro Mk2 which sells around 185 € currently, and while I'm aware that it exceeds your budget and requrements (it can drive two DMX universes/1024 lighting channels), I still recommend it. It's very fast due to its active electronics, and inside QLC+ it can be configured to run at up to 50 Hz DMX output frequency, so I'm very happy with it. It does not suffer from the flickering/stuck output problems that other users experience with passive FTDI devices in latest QLC releases 4.12.0 and 4.12.1.

I don't have experience with other output adapters/plugins, so hopefully others will comment.

On the input controller side, the NanoKontrol2 is supported very well, I use up to three of them to control my virtual console in theater lighting projects, all connected to one USB hub.

The length of your DMX line is not that critical, we regularly use to send via 50-100 m cable lengths in big theaters but the longer the line, the more important become proper termination and cable impedance. Lately I'm using a bunch of cheap DMX wireless senders/transmitters (beamZ) at least for parts of my lighting installations, with great success.
tommix

Thanks for your answer.
I think I'll build a converter with little money. Take a look at this link:
https://stevenbreuls.com/2013/05/diy-us ... -under-10/
Has anyone made it?
GGGss

Is this in a real theater you are working in?
In these surroundings there are so much ground-faults, parasitic noises, dimmer packs which do distort signal quality etc etc...
I strongly suggest you to buy an intelligent DMX interface. With these, signal strength and timing precision is dead on target. Also in- and outputs are optically isolated - parasitic induced signals will fry your $10 DIY interface. Even with only 30m of cable...

This is an (huge) investment (for starters) but you will be in the running for many years to come...
Believe me: I have 2 EntTec Pro's always at hand in the trunk of my private car. I already have 'saved' many many productions because of troubles with DMX interfaces. (Mostly cheap Artnet -> DMX in combination with Chamsys without blue hardware / unknown laser fixtures killing everything electrically attached, and so on). At that time you can bill more than the cost of an interface ;-)

Budget-wise (and since this is your first project) maybe a lender will help you getting started? If you live in Belgium, I'd love to lend you one of mine.
Or if you are renting fixtures ... ask renting company for a decent DMX USB interface.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
edogawa

I second what GGGss said...

go for a "professional" and preferably intelligent (aka active) interface, it will save you a LOT of trouble. Static electricity, plugging or unplugging arbitrary equipment and similar stuff can even confuse these more robust ones.

There's one major disadvantage with the Enttec Pro Mk2, and that is the microUSB socket, which is just SMD soldered to the PCB and not secured mechanically, so you really have to take care not to stress that while the cable is plugged in. Other than that I fully recommend it. The older generation (passive and only one universe) has a more robust socket screwed to the metal housing IIRC.

Once I fried my old laptop's USB subsystem completely, when the interface got kicked off the table by accident and the USB port socket came off the PCB. I had to go and get a replacement interface and set up a 2nd computer to be able to run the show that was scheduled for the day after, not a nice thing during end-rehearsals.
GGGss

I made a moulded casing around it and using a fold fashion USB B connection so the micro-USB is kinda protected
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
tommix

Thanks for the answers and advice. I expect to have some money and above all experience before buying a more professional converter. The theater where "work" is not a real theater; we are working to make it a small theater. For the moment we have no great technical requirements.
P.S. I found this on the net that comes close to the "ENTTEC PRO".
https://sites.google.com/site/rpidmx512 ... controller
GGGss

Thanks for the share of your catch... It's a very nice one. I will order one for a home project out of curiosity
lbon1989

edogawa wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:08 am The QLC+ website has a dedicated page listing supported input and output devices.

USB DMX devices based on the FTDI chip are supported well by both QLC and Freestyler, AFAIK (I haven't ever worked with Freestyler). The manual has a section on FTDI driver installation per operating system.

I own an Enttec USB DMX Pro Mk2 which sells around 185 € currently, and while I'm aware that it exceeds your budget and requrements (it can drive two DMX universes/1024 lighting channels), I still recommend it. It's very fast due to its active electronics, and inside QLC+ it can be configured to run at up to 50 Hz DMX output frequency, so I'm very happy with it. It does not suffer from the flickering/stuck output problems that other users experience with passive FTDI devices in latest QLC releases 4.12.0 and 4.12.1.

I don't have experience with other output adapters/plugins, so hopefully others will comment.

On the input controller side, the NanoKontrol2 is supported very well, I use up to three of them to control my virtual console in theater lighting projects, all connected to one USB hub.

The length of your DMX line is not that critical, we regularly use to send via 50-100 m cable lengths in big theaters but the longer the line, the more important become proper termination and cable impedance. Lately I'm using a bunch of cheap DMX wireless senders/transmitters (beamZ) at least for parts of my lighting installations, with great success.
Can you connect multiple korg devices?

I have a NanoPad 2 and would like to add a NanoKontrol 2 as well. Do I need to purchase a usb hub to have one input usb? On QLC+ it does not allow multiple profiles