XY-Pad

The issues found when using the Virtual Console
scarfface

Hello,
I have some problems with the XY-Pad.
First make shure that in Loopback 1 the In- and Output is activated. The profile needs to be one where Channel 12 and 13 are Fader and the movement option needs to be relative.
Now I have problems:
When I move the right slider the value of the Y-Axis increase or decrease. But the value of Tilt and Tilt fine are always the same. And the speed up and downwards is really different. (Slider value 128 (slow) and 126 (fast).
When I now limit the size of the moving area (X-axis is prepared), and move the left slider the Pan fine value is different to the Pan value. (But when I have a slidervalue of 126 it does not increase Panfine, but jumps to another Panfine value).
There seems to be also a unvisible limit where the Point stops (and jumps a little bit back and goes to there again). But when I change the slidervalue the "unvisible stop line" changes its position.

Thanks for your help, Scarfface

P.S. once I made a video of the problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXvnRUR9iIw
Attachments
XY-Pad Input Problems(1).qxw
(4.86 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
GGGss

Don't use an universe for loopback AND dmx devices.
(There were problems reported with the channel modifiers ... so a potential problem.)
Instead of using channel modifiers you can limit the sliders movement by properties.

I've reworked your project a bit
8 bit resolution of the loopback faders typically show these jumps in 16 bit values. (You can't invent new values in between - these would have to be calculated)
Attachments
XY-Pad Input Problems_changed.qxw
(6.58 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
scarfface

Yes, you're right now it looks better...

Did you test it with relative movement?
(I understand, when its absolute movement, it can only have 16 bit.)
When I use relative, i think it should work with 16 bit...
Just like: if you click with your mouse inside the field, then you can use your arrow-keys to move the fixture relative. When youre pressing ctrl and/or shift, you can move your fixture with 16bit...
Or is it possible to use other (external /dmx values) controllers "to press the arrow-keys"? And to get this XY-Pad to the foreground (with external control)?

Thanks for your help, scarfface
GGGss

What do you want to achieve?
My background tells me - you won't have time to change XY positions on the fly in a production ... they should be prepared in cues.
The only reason a joystick connected to an XY has a reason to work is when you pseudo 1 follow-spot (one! the rest will look awful).
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
scarfface

Thanks,
Yes, I have a Gamepad, (or I will find a joystick) to control the MH positions. I think its easier to programm... And during the show I want to correct the Position (Maybe follow an actor).
Maybe I want to control multiple devices, but not at the same time i think I can put the XY Pads in frames. With buttons I can activate one of the frames, so I can control one multiple fixtures with one Joystick (not at the same time).
chrissi

Hey there,

any news on this topic? I´m working on a custom control for a couple of moving heads and need to readjust live. At the moment the only solution is, to "live edit a function", but i takes a lot of clicking around the windows to adjust 2 moving heads...
I have a gamepad working quite good with the xy pad, and i was considering to buy another one (quite cheap today).
But inside QLC how can you get a scene send its feedback to (multiple) XY pad(s) so you can use the readjustment function (which works with one XY pad quite good if you save a preset within the XY pad!) ?
Cheers!
chrissi

if anyone can point me in the right direction where the problem could be located, i would try to correct the code. I´m not the best programmer but i can give i a try. Since QLCs code is new to me, a little help would be necessary....
i really need this xy problem to be solved for my project and don´t like other dmx software :-/
scarffac3

If your project is not too secret, i would be happy, if you can send it to me, just to see your workaround.
I have an workaround with QLC+ and Dot2OnPc... That does my work very well, but i dont want to run always 2 programs...
With Dot2OnPc i have a workaround with 7Bit only, but only in the needed area (Up to 180°). So this is more precise than 540° in 8Bit. (I could also change the Fixture to only 180° than that would be better.
I think i forgot the reason for choosing such a complicated workaround, but i think i didnt understand how i can have saved points in cues, and adjust them (without saving) when i am in a live show. Can you explain me that?
Do you control the XY-Pad directly with your gamepad? My gamepad does not find the middle position, so the light moves a little bit. Thats why i made another loopback with a virtual fixture with a modified curve of the output, so that more values point on 127 so the range is bigger, where the lights do not move.
Can you find in the Code, where the Arrow-Keys can control the XY-Pad? Maybe you can find a solution for fixing there.

Edit:
Now i remeber why i have choosen this workaround: before there were two points in the XY-Pad: one blue and one grey. i had pressed a button for a position and then the grey point jumped to this position. Then i wanted to adjust the position a little bit. With relative movement the grey point jumped to the position of the blue point and both moved there relative. There is the main problem, also with the live edit mode i cant put an adjusted position in to a scene? I dont understand anything right now...

Edit2:
1. I think i need a control option for putting the blue point in the XY-pad to the location of the grey point. Or does anyone has an better idea for control live the position of a prepared position.

At first i want to ask, if there is no option to edit szenes live with the advantages of the virtual console?
Only the color can be directly choosing in the live editing window, but other click and go advantages does not work here?
2. For live editing szenes i think there a some ways:

A: For me, it would be great if there is an option in the live editing mode (or a third button besides new scene and live scene editing) for editing a scene live, but with the preselected channels of the live editing mode, but with the values of the live scene ( The values which are used in new scene mode).
(There is still the problem for live editing a scene in blind mode....)

B: Just like A, but not a third button or option, only change the values to the values of new scene in the live eding mode.
This is maybe i little bit too complicated, but i think can be helpful.
To be able to adjust scenes in a live show blind, we need another option:
A button in a virtual console to put the hole console in blind mode. So now can be choosen another scene, shich can be adjusted and saved with the button.

Now you can get back to the original scene: one way is directly. (The old scenes are present)
The other is maybe, to reset first the scene (with a new button) to the original one. And then got to the live scene and update it also. Now there is the availability to prepare a scene and put it in live scene to specific time.

Is there someone, who understand my problems? And can tell me, that i did not saw the way to do this.
Last edited by scarffac3 on Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
GGGss

2 A & B ... in 'live mode' I make changes to my preprogrammed scenes. If I see an opportunity that the scene will have to be changed (and the original being used afterwards) I make a dump-DMX.
But now it is present in QLC+ but not on the VC; the fastest and easiest way I found out is to use a chaser holding the 2 scenes. On the VC now the button is 'converted' to a 'go' button for the chaser. Doing this while the production is running, is stressy I have to admit, but hey ... the result looks that slicker. (I mostly use submasters for groups of functions and not for specific lights... )
Blind mode does not work with positions and MH... simply because you cannot see the position you are in. A highlight feature is more practical (for this reason I have a 3th or 4th page, where I can select 1 MH and give it a color, so I can track it)