[Closed, no response] Cloning a show, all tracks start at beginning

The issues found when using the Show Manager panel
Mibmusic

Hi,

In the process of designing ’the perfect show’ it can be usefull to clone a show just for comparing and figuring things out. But when cloning an existing show the tracks in the cloned show are tracks start at 1193h02m47s295ms. Also, the cloned show creates and uses copies of all audio, chasers, RGB matrixes, etc. I am not sure if creating copies of all the used functions is wrong or bad but it seems like cloning a show does not work properly. I use qlc 4.12.1 on MacOS Mojave 10.14.2

As a workaround I can save copies of a project with appropriate descriptions in the name but it makes switching a bit more complicated.

Best regards,

Gerard
Last edited by Mibmusic on Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mibmusic

Sorry to bother you all but am I the only one experiencing this? Perhaps, using shows is not commonly used?
GGGss

I think it's just plain better to make regular backups of your show file.
When cloning - everything is duplicated and ow boy - changing the master won't change the copy etc etc. Try to debug this (!)
Why the cloned version starts at minute xxx - I don't know and maybe caused by many things...
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
Mibmusic

Thank you for your assistance. At this moment I am cloning shows by just adding a new show and start from scratch. Again, not a big deal but it would be nice to have cloning working. And a clone in my opinion is just a copy and changing the master should not change the clone too. Or am I wrong?
GGGss

Just do the plain-old backup thingy ...
Before yesterday I 'saved' a 400+ fixture houselight show - just with a backup ... my fee was $xxx
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
Mibmusic

I found another thread on this forum that indicates this issue has been around for a while. But I can live with manually duplicating shows. And about backups, I make a backup of all the versions I create. I am currently at version 0.61, so not even at my 1.0 version. :D But our show will be so much better after adding lights to our backings tracks! And it is fun do create a show too!
Mibmusic

Turns out that duplicating shows it about he only way to properly test with shows. I haven't had any indication that this bug is on a list to be fixed.
Dear Massimo, is it on a list and will it be fixed? If not, what could I do to compare shows?

Best regards,

Gerard
Mibmusic

Hmm, no response at all. That’s pretty disapointing.
CoS2000

Hi @all,

OK i've looked into this.

I've created a simple show with 2 sequences on 1 track and just copy that show. The bug is simple. QLC "fortgets" to copy the attribute for "StartTime" in each "ShowFunction" Tag. Look in the Save File:

Original:

Code: Select all

<Function ID="0" Type="Show" Name="testshow">
   <TimeDivision Type="Time" BPM="120"/>
   <Track ID="0" Name="Spur 1" SceneID="1" isMute="0">
    <ShowFunction ID="2" StartTime="6000" Duration="10000" Color="#556b80"/>
    <ShowFunction ID="3" StartTime="24000" Duration="10000" Color="#556b80"/>
   </Track>
  </Function>
Copy:

Code: Select all

<Function ID="6" Type="Show" Name="testshow_copy">
   <TimeDivision Type="Time" BPM="120"/>
   <Track ID="0" Name="Spur 1" SceneID="1" isMute="0">
    <ShowFunction ID="4" StartTime="0" Duration="10000" Color="#556b80"/>
    <ShowFunction ID="5" StartTime="0" Duration="10000" Color="#556b80"/>
   </Track>
  </Function>
You can see the 2 "ShowFunction" Tags has StartTime="0"! By the way: QLC doesnt copy the hidden scene used for this track ;-)

This should be easy to fix it think...

Best regards...
CoS
Mibmusic

Thank you so much CoS, but what now? Wait untill Massimo picks it up and solves it? I still don’t understand how that procedure works.
CoS2000

Mibmusic wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:00 am Thank you so much CoS, but what now? Wait untill Massimo picks it up and solves it? I still don’t understand how that procedure works.
Belive me - QLC ist very complex. To handle that (and Massimo works alone) he cannot create construction sites. Just fix things where you know the reason for and where you know how to fix. Thats the reason for fixing only things that are reproduceable!

On the other side you have bugs that are more important than others. When important dmx/usb devices stop to work on a new version or such things. The reason for such bugs can have unknown impact on other devices!

But i think this "show cloning" bug should be easy to fix. The values here looks like just "forgetting" to copy a attribute!

Best Regards
CoS
Mibmusic

Thank you again. I understand his situation completely, no doubt about that. But in fact, my usb device does noet work on 4.12.2 and also there is no respons. No big deal too, just trying to understand. But I can live with it all. Just trying to makes things better.
mcallegari

Should be fixed upstream now.
Thanks for reporting
kenact

"You can see the 2 "ShowFunction" Tags has StartTime="0"! By the way: QLC doesnt copy the hidden scene used for this track "

I'm not sure that this is so much a bug as it is trying to get QLC+ to do something it isn't supposed to do.

Once you use a scene in a show, it becomes a hidden scene that can't be used in another show.
Mibmusic

Hi Ken,

I am probably not experienced enough to exactly understand what you are talking about. I am just a musician who uses the QLC+ show function to synchronize DMX lightning with backing tracks. From day one I it has been a pleasure working with this software but I have found some minor issues that (when fixed) will make the product even better. The part of hidden scenes is something that is pretty new to me and very hard to understand too. I have an other topic on this which I hope will be fixed soon. But for this topic, I am very happy that Massimo has a fix!
CoS2000

kenact wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:21 pm "You can see the 2 "ShowFunction" Tags has StartTime="0"! By the way: QLC doesnt copy the hidden scene used for this track "

I'm not sure that this is so much a bug as it is trying to get QLC+ to do something it isn't supposed to do.

Once you use a scene in a show, it becomes a hidden scene that can't be used in another show.
The hidden Scene saves the information, about the fixtures/devices you use. When you add a new device to a track, it will be saved in the hidden scene. But when you copy the show and the copy uses the same hidden scenes, than all added fixtures in a track (in the original show) are also added in the copy of the show!

Best regards
CoS
Mibmusic

I have installed QLC+_4.12.3-TEST-20191005 and I am able to clone a show without loosing any data. So all the tracks start at the right time. The used sequences are copied too and the even the used audiofile is copied! After that, I made some changes to the copied show and the changes worked too. These changes did not effect the original show so that’s perfect.

Dear Massimo, or others, please let me know if you need me to do some more tests to make sure this can be marked as resolved.

Best regards,

Gerard