using Rpi3B+ to create wifi (no internet) for OSC, while still use ethernet for Artnet communication

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
djcflo

Hello! This is my first post, and I've been messing with the Raspberry Pi and QLC+ for a couple weeks now...
I've been experimenting with using TouchOSC to control QLC over wifi, without the need to connect to a router or any internet - that is, I want the Rpi to be mobile and act as a hot spot wherever I bring it.

I also wanted to be able to communicate with Artnet via ethernet output. I struggled to figure out how to configure the Rpi as a hotspot without messing with ethernet communication. Every time I got the Wifi access point configured and running, it disabled my ethernet connectivity in QLC, or changed the settings enough that I couldn't connect with my DMXking LeDMX4 Pro LED strip driver.

here is a short tutorial I've written to get Wifi access point setup on a clean install of QLC. I'm using qlcplus_raspbian_stretch_20181110

first flash clean QLC image to SD card

————
step one - updating the software

connect via Ethernet to local network with internet

boot up, shutdown QLC

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade
say Yes

sudo reboot
————
step two, fixing wpa_supplicant wifi country code error

under QLC input/output, check the pi’s wired ethernet IP address

from computer, ssh into the pi
login with user/pass using pi/raspberry
type in

sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlan0.conf
hit enter

in what is probably a blank document, paste:

ctrl_interface=/run/wpa_supplicant
update_config=1
country=US
control X to quit, Y to save, enter to get back to command line

sudo shutdown -h now
————

unplug ethernet

boot up the pi:
quit QLC
login with user/pass using pi/raspberry

sudo raspi-config
change default password to something new

quit out with Finish

type in

sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
hit enter

in document, directly under ctrl_interface add

country=US
populate the fields with your home network info

ssid=”home wifi name”
psk=”home wifi password”

sudo reboot
————

under QLC input/output, check the pi’s new wifi-based IP address

ssh in over wifi

decide what you want your QLC box’s wifi to be called, and an 8-character password for it. replace that in WIFIPASS and WIFINAME in this script:

curl -sSL https://gist.github.com/Lewiscowles1986/fecd4de0b45b2029c390/raw/0c8b3af3530a35db9ab958defe9629cb5ea99972/rPi3-ap-setup.sh | sudo bash $0 WIFIPASS WIFINAME

sudo wget -q https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Lewiscowles1986/390d4d423a08c4663c0ada0adfe04cdb/raw/5b41bc95d1d483b48e119db64e0603eefaec57ff/dhcpcd.sh -O /usr/lib/dhcpcd5/dhcpcd

sudo chmod +x /usr/lib/dhcpcd5/dhcpcd
run

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
find

iface eth0 inet manual
and add a # before iface to disable the line

right below, paste in

auto eth0
    allow-hotplug eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

sudo reboot
————

the pi should take a long time to boot up, it get's caught for about a minute "A start job is running for raise network interfaces"
I couldn't figure out what settings to tweak to fix this little hang up, but at the end of the process it works! my Ethernet acts with DHCP and communicates fine over Artnet (under input/output)
and my wifi works to connect with TouchOSC and successfully receives OSC signal.
I can connect with my laptop to QLC+ web interface if i still want to upload fixtures and load configurations or projects, and save the auto-start project as well.

I don't know how I would go about disabling it to run apt-get upgrade again, but for now, the box acts as a standalone hot spot that can still send signals out via ethernet.

I hope this helps someone!!!!