Which distrib for a "light", easy to install QLC+ Linux config?

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Linux operating system
bda

Hi,

I love QLC+ and have been using it under Windows. I need to get it working under Linux. I've tried multiple distributions (Mint, Puppy, Ubuntu, ...) on rather old hardware. I've never been able to get it to run. Whatever Linux distribution I use seems to run just fine on this older hardware (an IBM Thinkpad T23). But QLC+ is always asking for libraries, which I go search for and install from the different Linux sites, but no joy, it just doesn't work.

I want to use this T23 config as a standalone, QLC-only config which will ultimately be controlled on a tablet via QLC+'s web interface.

Does anyone have a proven, light-weight and easy to get up and running Linux setup they can share with me?

Thanks in advance!

Bruce
Andrew

You should be installing the libraries from the distribution's package manager. In fact, if you use Ubuntu and the .deb package, that should automatically install all the libraries required (which aren't already installed). I've used QLC+ in Ubuntu for quite a while now, on quite a few different machines, and I don't recall having any difficulty getting it installed.
andres robles

Hi, I'm listing the Linux distributions I've tried and used:

ubuntu (not ideal for small or old computers)
Always install it without problems and the missing packages were downloaded automatically (just make sure you have the repositories active, not tell you which, so I suggest you activate all that come by default)

Linux Mint (something better in small teams)
like ubuntu, perfect everything.

Antix linux (For me, the best for old computers and / or few resources) Based on Debian, and in the same way as Ubuntu and Mint, install without problems QLC +.
I have an old portable PC "by way of curiosity" and who knows, of reservation .... (Pentium 3 1ghz with 512 Ram 20g hard disk) and it is amazing how fast Antix starts and how fluid and well it works QLC + .. .

Ubuntustudio (Much less heavy than mint and ubuntu)
My favorite o.s and the one I use (with its touch-ups for me, it's perfect)
Perfect QLC + installation and perfect operation

KXstudio (like ubuntu, on small computers it looks like a windows ....)
Perfect installation, and where in my opinion, more "comfortable" runs and better QLC + works and more beautiful looks, I guess it has better integration with KDE desktop than with Gnome, Xfce ect ... as I say it's just my feeling, everything heavy that KDE seems, QLC + is where it seems that better flows ... (in any modern PC everything runs fast)

Lubuntu (I have some installation made in discotheques in PC of few resources)
Also, Perfect everything, in this case these PCs work about 8 hours in a row in the club and during these last 3 years, they never gave a problem at any time

Xubuntu: (ever use it)
Everything works.

Conclusion: If you dominate the Linux world and your PC is very scarce of resources I recommend you without a doubt Antix, if you do not control much and prefer something easy to install OS and that works well on almost any PC Lubuntu works very well, if your PC is powerful, Kxstudio or kubuntu can surprise you, my advice, try them all you find and stay with the one you like the most ...
(and activate repositories)

a greeting
bda

Thanks Andrew and Andres for all this great info. I've been away for a while and just getting back to the forum. Didn't want you to think I don't appreciate your input!!!

I'll get started trying out your differents suggestions, and when I've got something conclusive (or maybe problems/questions? :) ), I'll come back here.

Bruce
oskarmusician

Hi! I'm new here. Had installed QLC+ on UbuntuStudio 16.04, despite many comments complaining the upgrade from 14.04 got deleted some audio/video/graphics applications they've used to in the previous version. That's why I don't like upgrade to version 18.0x, once again searching desperately for the softsynths & DAWs that I've get used to them. Maybe it could have been the case with the QLC+ as well. I am at the moment on the query for a particular DMX interface from Enttec. First DMXIS which promises MIDI functionality within Cubase, Ableton Live, Reaper...with some annoying special paid add registering app, while the 2.nd interface = Enttec DMX USB Pro MK2 with including cable bundling 2 DMX outs 1 DMX in and MIDI I/O. (searching Thomann e-music shop & comments). 2 comments under 2.nd - Enttec DMX USB Pro MK2 mention QLC+ as a very good & reliable application. Just I don't know much as a musician/guitarist/composer, should I get using it's MIDI options within QLC+ in the DAWs like Reaper or Cubase or Ableton Live or some Linux based Ardour, Rosegarden etc. I'll read your experience and comments carefully. Regards in advance! Oskar
Attachments
COMMENTS on THOMANN ENTTECDMX PRO MkII..pdf .pdf
Comments about QLC+ using Enttec DMX USB Pro MK2 interface on Thomann web_page.
(23.81 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
GGGss

oskarmusician wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:35 pm Hi! I'm new here. Had installed QLC+ on UbuntuStudio 16.04, despite many comments complaining the upgrade from 14.04 got deleted some audio/video/graphics applications they've used to in the previous version. That's why I don't like upgrade to version 18.0x, once again searching desperately for the softsynths & DAWs that I've get used to them. Maybe it could have been the case with the QLC+ as well. I am at the moment on the query for a particular DMX interface from Enttec. First DMXIS which promises MIDI functionality within Cubase, Ableton Live, Reaper...with some annoying special paid add registering app, while the 2.nd interface = Enttec DMX USB Pro MK2 with including cable bundling 2 DMX outs 1 DMX in and MIDI I/O. (searching Thomann e-music shop & comments). 2 comments under 2.nd - Enttec DMX USB Pro MK2 mention QLC+ as a very good & reliable application. Just I don't know much as a musician/guitarist/composer, should I get using it's MIDI options within QLC+ in the DAWs like Reaper or Cubase or Ableton Live or some Linux based Ardour, Rosegarden etc. I'll read your experience and comments carefully. Regards in advance! Oskar
Do I understand that you are asking a lighting community wheather the midi part of an Enttec DMX interface will work on your DAW's??
And your question had nothing to do with the choise you have in the Linux packages ... so wrong place - wrong question ...
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore