QLC+ 5 3D Preview - This is awesome !

A place where updates of QLC+ activities and technical articles are posted as if it was a blog
mcallegari

Hey guys, today I'm finally sharing the results of the last 1,5 months of hard work that me and Eric carried out thanks to the successful 3D advanced features campaign.
I'm pretty excited about this. First because it's been damn hard to reach this point. Second, because I believe this is a strong sign that QLC+ 5 is taking steps to a whole new level.
Enough, enjoy the video !

This is almost everything QLC+ 5 can give right now. Not bad for an alpha though, right ?

Funny facts:
  • it took me 1,5 hours to setup the stage. I might be able to do better than this by adding position helpers
  • it took me 6 hours to create the light show
  • it took something around 4 hours to compose the music. Yes, I did that too
  • along the way I found 9 bugs. 2 of them stopped me so I had to fix them :D
  • the show has been entirely made with QLC+ 5. No tricks or manual intervention needed
  • the project file is 57,7 kb big
  • I used a desktop PC with Ubuntu 18.04 running on a 6 years old Intel i5 CPU and a nVidia GTX 970 graphics card
  • I made 8 backup copies of the project but I have never used any of them. All my mistakes could be corrected from within the UI without problems
  • I haven't used a single Sequence...and for now Sequences are broken in QLC+ 5
  • I used one Script in the project. This is a pearl I'll explain in a separate post
In case you're wondering about performances on various graphics card, I'd say the current PCIe cards should be OK. Those gazillion of embedded Intel GPU might suffer a bit. However, with Eric, we already exposed a rendering quality parameter to increase or decrease the requirements. So even with a very low end card (obviously supporting at least OpenGL 3.3) you should get acceptable results.

So, what now ?
The plan is to release this HUGE Alpha 3 version in a week or so.
A LOT happened, not only in the 3D area. I'll explain all the details in one or more separate posts.
With Alpha 3, I will release also the project file I used for this video.
After Alpha 3, me and Eric will keep on working toward the other 3D features.

Personally, I found the 3D preview REALLY helpful when programming a show. Basically I never used the 2D view.

What do you guys think ? Are you as excited as I am for this big step of the project ? :)
kikko

Awesome Massimo and Eric! Really good job!! Thank you for your effort!

Francesco
weiryler

WOW! You and Eric are absolutely amazing! The preview looks wonderful! QLC has been a life saver the last two years for me and my band and we really do appreciate all of the work put into this project. I just recently converted a local venue here in Springfield Missouri USA to QLC from ShowXpress. They love it as well! Keep up the great work!
RayArt

Fantastic! Thank you for all your hard work. I hope Alpha 3 will install ok on my Windows 10 machine. Take care guys.
EricArneback

Glad to know that people are excited by the features me and Massimo have been working hard on =D
EXELBONSAI

Glad to know that people are excited by the features me and Massimo have been working hard on =D

Definitely .....
You do a great job. Do not be fake modesty

Deutsch
Auf jeden Fall .....
Ihr leistet Top Arbeit. Bloß keine falsche Bescheidenheit
psyka

Ohhhhh.
Very great, I hope we will try this soon :)
Thank for the work!
Krauthaus

Dammed, I got in touch with QLC+ about 2 weeks ago, and I am really kind of addicted to it! I am really exited to 5, and a part of my next shows check will be donated to you for shure! :D
fooschnickens

Simply fantastic! I'm not sure how much more I can say other than I can't wait to get into the new Alpha once it's released.

Having the graphics quality options will be great. I feel like if you could disable the light beams and simply rely on the light pattern on the projected surfaces you would clear up a lot of rendering bandwidth to let this run on nearly anything.

Again, awesome work Massimo and Eric d('_'d)
EricArneback

fooschnickens wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:47 pm Simply fantastic! I'm not sure how much more I can say other than I can't wait to get into the new Alpha once it's released.

Having the graphics quality options will be great. I feel like if you could disable the light beams and simply rely on the light pattern on the projected surfaces you would clear up a lot of rendering bandwidth to let this run on nearly anything.

That's actually exactly how we are implementing that setting. The beams are the most expensive part of the entire thing, and turning them off gains a lot of performance, which makes this thing usable on even crappy Intel cards.
lightweaver

WOW! This is incredible!!
The 3d visualisation puts this software up there with other professional (and very expensive) lighting control software.
I've been super happy with QLC+ 4 for production use.
Looking forward to what other gems come out with QLC+ 5.

Big hats-off to you Massimo and Eric! :D :D :D
fooschnickens

EricArneback wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:41 pm
fooschnickens wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:47 pm Simply fantastic! I'm not sure how much more I can say other than I can't wait to get into the new Alpha once it's released.

That's actually exactly how we are implementing that setting. The beams are the most expensive part of the entire thing, and turning them off gains a lot of performance, which makes this thing usable on even crappy Intel cards.
I figured as much, but it never hurts to ask! Some people consider graphics optimization on simple shaders to be adding more and more dithering until it looks like an Andy Warhol piece XD
lesaint2

very nice job!
GGGss

Just came back out of holiday to discover this... Where have I been? Haha

Great Job guys! Great Job.
And thanks Massimo revealing the amount of workload involved to get this show on the road... sometimes people think: "only 3 clicks and go ..." No way

Looking forward to the next level and I'm kinda proud being a very small part of the development (through funding of course)
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
kripton

Nice work! Looking forward to try this with one of my shows.
... and to see the smoke simulation :D