CPU usage

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Mac OSX operating system
Jan

Hello,
i use QLC+ with 8 Artnet Universes on a MacBook Pro with an I7 2,4 Ghz. When there is a lot of traffic on the ArtNet I get a delay of aprox. 1 second. I toke a look at the activity monitor of OSX. At the attached screenshot you can see the CPU usage of QLC+ is at 105% (red marked) but the use of the CPU is at aprox. 25% (blue marked). Does QLC+ use only one Core of the CPU? Is there a possibility to use all four cores of the CPU?
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2018-06-28 um 08.06.39_LI.jpg
mcallegari

Hi, unfortunately the QLC+ engine works on a single core.
I've read of people using 40 ArtNet universes without problems.
What is your usage case that can explain such high CPU usage ?
Have you tried platforms other than macOS and see if it gets better ? (I recommend Linux)
Jan

I think the usage is caused by the lots of sliders I use. In the project are about 1200 slider which are controlled over ArtNet.

I have an old computer with a Core2Duo 3 Ghz. I will try this one with Linux.
mcallegari

QLC+ does good on many things. The "does miracles" functionality has not been implemented yet though :)
Jan

:)
This does not work. So I need an other solution.
For the show I have 16 Wash-Movingheads with Pixelcontrol . Allover this are 304 pixels with RGBW. The Pixel of the Movingheads should be controlled by Resolume over ArtNet. The other functions of the devices should be controlled by an ArtNet Software. The problem is that if booth softwares send to the same universe the values override each other. My idea was to passtrhough the values of the ArtNet software and the values for the Pixels are added with sliders which are controlled from Resolume over ArtNet. I also tried to passthrough the signals of booth softwares but here I get the same result as booth send to the same universe.
Maybe you have an idea how this could be done?

I saw videos how this does work with GrandMa or other lightconsoles but I don´t have the money for those expensive consoles. :)
janosvitok

If you just need to merge two artnet streams to produce the final one, and you don't need other QLC+ features, try OLA (https://www.openlighting.org/ola/).
Even if you need QLC+ you may merge it as a third stream.

QLC+ doesn't support merging two different artnet inputs on the same universe.

What exact models are your wash heads? What is the other artnet software?
Jan

Ok I will try with OLA.

The moving heads are Spiider from Robe. The other software is LumiDMX.
GGGss

OUt of curiosity ... What RGB matrix are you using? I mean which form?
Since the LED dots are in a circular manner I guess square won't be good?
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
Jan

GGGss wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:22 pm OUt of curiosity ... What RGB matrix are you using? I mean which form?
Since the LED dots are in a circular manner I guess square won't be good?
I don´t use a matrix. At Resolume every pixel is an own device so i can place them like a circle.