QLC+ 5.0.0 Alpha1 release

Public announcements of new QLC+ releases.

PLEASE, do not post bugs and issues here !
giacomo

maybe in the future could it be possible a solution to avoid a software crash?
eg. hiding the 3d view if the system doesn't support it, or a message saying that the 3d view t's not supported?
I'm thinking of a scenario where qlcplus plus is used for rehearsals and not technical people - the performers or the director - will not be aware of it,
it shouldn't crash because someone click on the wrong tab, isn't it?
siegmund

I would like to backup that idea. I totally get the reasons why it is as it is (thanks for the detailed explanation Massimo), but it should not crash for that reason.
andres robles

hello to all, finally I was able to download qlc5 and play for a while, and tried both the windows version (w7, intel dual core 2ghz, ati radeon hd5770 1g ddr5) and in ubuntustudio 16.04 in a very modest mini hp, intel atom 1g ram , and well, my impressions are, the graphic interface of qlc is now more comfortable for my eyes, the dark colors help not to burn the eyes, I see much more quickly when it comes to patching the fixtures, the theme of creating the scenes and select devices that also seem faster and easier and I see very useful panel 2d to select fixtures for scenes, the show manager also becomes more agile to lengthen or shorten the scenes in time just dragging the mouse, in general I it seems a great advance in almost all aspects, in terms of failures, in win7 with several changes of tab it froze, I could not do much, when patched several fixtures too, in the 3D section it seems to work! but it's extremely moving or rotating the stage in a very fine way ... and little else, I could not do anything without it freezing to the second click ... in ubuntustudio 16.04, everything seems to work better, more fluid, the changes between tabs faster and with fewer crashes, I got to work more deeply, also with crashes but much less followed, and well, the 3D, 3D better not touch it, just try to turn the stage disappears all qlc,
I understand that intel and table very bad, I also managed to load some projects of qlc 4.11.1 without problems, only the fixtures were disordered in the 2D graph everything else apparently well before the crash ..., well, neither in win7 nor linux appears the simple table .... leaving aside that it is a pre alpha version and that it is incomplete, I think the change of look and way of doing things in Qlc is impressive, I also value very positively the new address of qlc .... Congratulations for the great progress and the effort to build it, I am impressed.
mcallegari

siegmund wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:16 pm I would like to backup that idea. I totally get the reasons why it is as it is (thanks for the detailed explanation Massimo), but it should not crash for that reason.
Obviously it is not my intention to release the final version of QLC+ 5 full of crashes...
As for Linux + Intel + Mesa, I left the crashes there intentionally, instead of completely disable the 3D preview.
As I said before, the situation might improve over time, so there's no reason at the moment for me to put effort on something that might get fixed in a few months.
We just need to patiently wait and accept the fact that this is Alpha 1. I plan many more Alphas before even entering a Beta stage, so let's just not speculate on something that is clearly a very immature product.
It's like saying "your 1 year old son doesn't seem to walk properly. You should not allow him to run the New York marathon". DUH
mcallegari

andres robles wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:11 pm well, neither in win7 nor linux appears the simple table
Thanks for your feedback.
If by "simple table" you mean "Simple Desk tab", please see the spreadsheet I shared in my OP. It's marked as "missing".
Simple Desk is an area where I haven't dedicated much of a thought yet. One thing I'm almost sure is that I want to remove the "Cue" management. It will use the global DMX dump feature and possibly I will add helpers to easily create Chasers.
mcallegari

Linux + Intel + Mesa guys, I've got terrific good news !
Today I resurrected an old laptop I have with Ubuntu 14.04, Intel HD4000 (IvyBridge) and Mesa 10.1.3 (exposing OpenGL 3.3)

I've built QLC+ 5 on Qt 5.9.4: 3D crashes.
Without changing a single line of code, built on Qt 5.10.1: no 3D crashes ! Yay !

So at this point the graphics requirement for QLC+ 5 is actually OpenGL 3.3 and not 4.0. Performances is another story though...
I'll pack up a new TEST AppImage bundle when I can.

Still, I am a bit disappointed you guys don't have faith in what I do :(
GGGss

LOL ... really? Massimo come on !
mcallegari wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:10 pm I've got terrific good news !
How can that news be terrific ... it's SPLENDID news ;-)
mcallegari wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:10 pm Still, I am a bit disappointed you guys don't have faith in what I do :(
"Who is the faithless?" I cannot second that statement or point to that person ... I read the forum otherwise -> IMHO you have the best supporters-club in da world !!! [writing some of the worst English expressions everrrrr] ... but hey We are [trying to] communicating.

I AM A BIG FAN OF YOU. Period
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
sbenejam

mcallegari wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:10 pm Linux + Intel + Mesa guys, I've got terrific good news !
Today I resurrected an old laptop I have with Ubuntu 14.04, Intel HD4000 (IvyBridge) and Mesa 10.1.3 (exposing OpenGL 3.3)

I've built QLC+ 5 on Qt 5.9.4: 3D crashes.
Without changing a single line of code, built on Qt 5.10.1: no 3D crashes ! Yay !

So at this point the graphics requirement for QLC+ 5 is actually OpenGL 3.3 and not 4.0. Performances is another story though...
I'll pack up a new TEST AppImage bundle when I can.

Still, I am a bit disappointed you guys don't have faith in what I do :(
Hi,
I tested QLC+5 with Qt5.10.1 on my laptop with Intel GME965, no crash. I don't see the fixtures i 3D view.
On my desktop computer with an nVidia card switching to 3D tab program hangs and crash.
mcallegari

sbenejam wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:01 pm I tested QLC+5 with Qt5.10.1 on my laptop with Intel GME965, no crash. I don't see the fixtures i 3D view.
On my desktop computer with an nVidia card switching to 3D tab program hangs and crash.
Please always indicate the OS/distro and the relevant details. In this case, which 3D driver. Mesa Noveau or proprietary nVidia driver ?
sbenejam

mcallegari wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:13 pm
sbenejam wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:01 pm I tested QLC+5 with Qt5.10.1 on my laptop with Intel GME965, no crash. I don't see the fixtures i 3D view.
Please always indicate the OS/distro and the relevant details. In this case, which 3D driver. Mesa Noveau or proprietary nVidia driver ?
SO: Xubuntu 17.10 with nVidia driver in the console I get this message: FBO incomplete. I'll try Noveau driver tomorrow and I'll do more tests.
On the laptop Xubuntu 17.10 with Intel card. I tested a simple two fixtures project and playing some scenes and I can view the lights working.
mcallegari

sbenejam wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:34 pm
SO: Xubuntu 17.10 with nVidia driver in the console I get this message: FBO incomplete. I'll try Noveau driver tomorrow and I'll do more tests.
Weird. I've never had issues with NV proprietary drivers. How old is that graphics card ? Are you sure the driver is at least OGL 3.3 ? (glxinfo might help)
sbenejam

mcallegari wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:37 pm
Weird. I've never had issues with NV proprietary drivers. How old is that graphics card ? Are you sure the driver is at least OGL 3.3 ? (glxinfo might help)
It seems that this graphic card is OpenGL 2.0. ;-(
What graphic card do you recommend?
mcallegari

sbenejam wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:48 pm
mcallegari wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:37 pm
It seems that this graphic card is OpenGL 2.0. ;-(
What graphic card do you recommend?
I don't really have a particular recommendation. I'd say to get some decent results, a graphics card not older than 5 years should be fine.
andres robles

Hello everyone, try qlc 5 in a slightly more current machine, intel i5 7600, nvidia gtx 1050ti 4 gddr5, ram 16g, hd ssd 120g and 1 tera hdd, ubuntustudio 14.04 with privative nvidia driver, and well, the impression since you launch the appimage is extreme speed, in launching, in loading projects of other versions of qlc (4.11.1) and only received a crash moving the stage in 3D, everything seems to work very well and fluid ..... the new system to move bread and tilt looks very cool, but it is difficult to move finely pan and tilt, responds in a fluid and latent manner, I think the XYpad of qlc 4 is more effective, especially if you move pan and tilt simultaneously ... it's just my impression, otherwise, I also do not see fixtures in 3D, I see the scenario that on this pc if it moves very thin and it works very fluid ... before the crash, at the moment I only received crash with 3D , the other works very fluid except the pan and tilt ... I managed to add some accessories, create several functions, and add them to the show manager, edit a little and give the play in a few minutes ..... Really very fast ..... It is amazing the work done to reduce programming times, I'm hallucinating.
mcallegari

New TEST bundle available for Linux, just to address the nasty 3D crashes:
QLC+_5.0.0_alpha2-TEST-20180311-x86_64.AppImage

Please let me know if everything works as expected now.

Meanwhile, developments go on. You might be happy to know that I've started working on the Cue List widget and I've added a shortcut to the Chaser Editor so that if you double click on the Function name, it will edit the Function. Similar to Collection Editor.
sbenejam

mcallegari wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:12 pm New TEST bundle available for Linux, just to address the nasty 3D crashes:
QLC+_5.0.0_alpha2-TEST-20180311-x86_64.AppImage

Please let me know if everything works as expected now.

Meanwhile, developments go on. You might be happy to know that I've started working on the Cue List widget and I've added a shortcut to the Chaser Editor so that if you double click on the Function name, it will edit the Function. Similar to Collection Editor.
On Xubuntu 17.10 with Nvidia Geforce 7300 LE card I get a black screen, the stage is not rendered, no crashes changing between 2D and 3D tabs.
On Xubuntu 17.10 with Intel card, stage and fixtures are rendered, no crashes changing 2D and 3D tabs.
mcallegari

sbenejam wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:55 pm On Xubuntu 17.10 with Nvidia Geforce 7300 LE card I get a black screen, the stage is not rendered, no crashes changing between 2D and 3D tabs.
Santiago, GeForce 7300 is a 9 years old card and it's OpenGL 2.1. I hope you're kidding me now...
andres robles

Hello everyone, I just tried the new app test qlc5, ubuntustudio 14.04 (xubuntu) intel i5 7600 and nvidia gtx1050 ti with proprietary driver, just start the app ran very fast, added a pair of devices, irock 5c and Variscan P6, the irock does not appear in the 3D environment, the variscan yes, I liked the option to put rock stage, shortly after playing, create a couple of scenes, freeze, casually run compiz with some of its effects and with active compiz launch qlc 5, to my surprise it did not freeze qlc again, it showed me all the devices that it inserted and it worked pretty well everything (it will have something to do compiz? I think that with compiz some renders or opengl options are activated) it is curious that easyview is executed with wine in this same machine perfectly with compiz, without compiz according to the size of the window you can not see anything or sometimes it has graphic artifacts, activating compiz is solved ... going back to qlc5, I was playing for a while without any problems or crashes, working or 3D, zooming and rotating the stage with lights on ... all right, I really liked the button to track light on stage seems very effective, and well, for reasons of time stop trying ... I have to try some things like being able to move the fixtures in the 3D plane and some other things ... later I'll try other modest machines to see the results .......
sbenejam

mcallegari wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:45 pm
sbenejam wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:55 pm On Xubuntu 17.10 with Nvidia Geforce 7300 LE card I get a black screen, the stage is not rendered, no crashes changing between 2D and 3D tabs.
Santiago, GeForce 7300 is a 9 years old card and it's OpenGL 2.1. I hope you're kidding me now...
I know Massimo I'm looking to buy a new one. ;-)
siegmund

mcallegari wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:26 am
siegmund wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:16 pm I would like to backup that idea. I totally get the reasons why it is as it is (thanks for the detailed explanation Massimo), but it should not crash for that reason.
Obviously it is not my intention to release the final version of QLC+ 5 full of crashes...
As for Linux + Intel + Mesa, I left the crashes there intentionally, instead of completely disable the 3D preview.
As I said before, the situation might improve over time, so there's no reason at the moment for me to put effort on something that might get fixed in a few months.
We just need to patiently wait and accept the fact that this is Alpha 1. I plan many more Alphas before even entering a Beta stage, so let's just not speculate on something that is clearly a very immature product.
It's like saying "your 1 year old son doesn't seem to walk properly. You should not allow him to run the New York marathon". DUH
Massimo, we all know you won't release an instantly crashing program. I guess, we're just a little too exited about the new version - so please be as patient with us as you expect us to be with you.
mcallegari wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:10 pm Still, I am a bit disappointed you guys don't have faith in what I do :(
If I would not have faith in what you're doing, I would have left this project a long time ago... You're doing a great job - keep going, don't take one or the other comment to heart!