Improvement to Live Edit in Virtual Console

mdmayfield

Hello all, and especially Massimo and Janos and others familiar with the codebase.

I'm working on writing a customization that will allow this functionality:

1) Shortcut to live-edit a widget's function
- In Virtual Console, in Live or Edit mode, Ctrl/Command-click on a widget
- The Live Function Edit dialog will then pop up for the function attached to that widget, if any, without needing to find it in the Function Picker

2) Shortcut to live-edit the function assigned to the current step of a Cue List
- In Virtual Console, in Live or Edit mode, Alt/Option-click on a Cue List
- The Live Function Edit dialog will then pop up for the function of the currently running step of the Cue List, if any, without needing to find it in the Function Picker

This will greatly improve efficiency when working on a complex show with 1000+ functions already set up in VC - probably saving 20-30 seconds every time I have to edit a function already assigned to a button or cue list.

I can see that I will need to create a FunctionLiveEditDialog with the function's ID and then exec() it, but I'm having trouble finding where to catch the modified click.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Of course I will submit this upstream once finished and tested if you deem it useful.

Thank you,

Matt
mdmayfield

I've implemented a prototype of this by catching mousePressEvent in VCButton and VCCueList. For the Cue List I decided to use Ctrl-Shift-click to edit the currently running step.

The remaining issue I'm trying to resolve is how to intercept a Ctrl-click *anywhere* in the Cue List widget, and not only in the margins around the buttons and tree list. Anyone have a pointer on where to start? I imagine Qt has some way to grab events "above" the individual buttons and pass them on to the child widgets if necessary.