No MIDI device recognition NI Kontrol F1

The issues found when using the Input/Output Manager panel
prspktiv

Hi there, I'm trying to use the QLC+ 4.10.3a on my macbook pro using El capitan. The program works really well, got it do send dmx out to an enttec dmx pro dongle..

the only issue I have is it to make it connect with my midi controller. Its an Native Instruments Kontrol F1 controller. The software that came with the controller (NI controller editor) recognises me pressing the buttons, so I'm sure the controller works. When I'm trying to make it connect to QLC, it doesn't see it. I followed the tutorials but no luck.. So when I'm at the profile menu in input/output, It doesn't recognise me pressing the buttons or faders. Also no joystick..

Is there anything I'm missing?

thanks
mcallegari

Check the MIDI channel. You might need to use a specific one or the OMNI one which in QLC+ is named "1-16"
gmint

Have you ever gotten this working? Personally, I use Maschine and I've never been able to get QLC+ to recognize it directly. I think it must be something with the way that the NI devices publish their MIDI Inputs/Outputs. However, I've been using MIDI Patchbay to run the Maschine into an IAC bus and then use that input in QLC+ which works just fine. I actually even made a little script that opens the appropriate routing in MIDI patchbay when QLC+ goes into operate mode which looks like this:

systemcommand:/usr/bin/open arg:"/Users/qualleyiv/Dropbox/Lighting/QLC + Maschine Routing.mpb"

That way, it's really pretty hassle-free.

It would be nice if Maschine worked directly in QLC+, but I've never had any issues with this workaround.
criwo

Hi,

I was just about to post the same question. But then I tried the different midi channel setings in QLC+.
I found my Traktor Kontrol F1 working with midi channel 13, although the status is saying 'not opened.
When I'm pressing any button the little joystick symbol appears and I can assign buttons on virtual console.
(By the way, can I delete external inputs in button properties?)

What I did not try rigth now is midi feedback to get the F1's buttons light in colours.

Cheers,
Criwo
prspktiv

Hey guys, thanks for the replies

Still no luck in getting the F1 to work tho. I've tried setting the midi channel to 1-16, 13.. non of it works.. I see IAC Driver as first midi device. It's on that I need to change the midi channel right?

I'd like it to work without the workaround to be honest.

@ Criwo,

could you send me a little guide on how you got it to work?

thanks for your time!
criwo

prspktiv wrote:
@ Criwo,

could you send me a little guide on how you got it to work?

thanks for your time!
Hi,
sorry for the late reply, I'm lacking time at the moment. When I find some more time I will investigate a little deeper in this issues.
Right now I can't tell you any more.
I just tried every midi channel in QLC+ input settings. It was not working everytime, but somewhen my computer (an older windows notebook) seems to work because it was showing the sand clock symbol. The connection status is still displayed as 'not connected', but when I hit a button the joystick symbol appears.

But it's not all working fine, two buttons are not recognized.

Have someone of you tried to configure the Kontrol F1 with the NI Controller Editor software first? This is the next step I'm planning to try.

Best regards,
criwo
gmint

I'd be interested to hear as well if you can get it working. Like I said before, I really do think this is related to the way in which the NI hardware presents itself over USB and/or the way that QLC+ sees that hardware, but I'd love to be wrong...
criwo

gmint wrote:I'd be interested to hear as well if you can get it working. Like I said before, I really do think this is related to the way in which the NI hardware presents itself over USB and/or the way that QLC+ sees that hardware, but I'd love to be wrong...
I think this is going into the right direction. As I posted a minute ago above, my next step will be to try Controller Editor software to configure/check the Kontrol F1. Maybe this will help.
criwo

Hi guys!

I found the solution for the mapping of the buttons.
It's very easy - you just have to use NI Controller Editor software. There you can assign on which midi channel which button will work.

For me it is still interesting how to get midi feedback to work.
Right now I can recognize on/off state and the buttons are responding to action in the software. So far so good.
With controller editor you can set each button to 'HSB' mode, where you can control everything (brightness, color) via midi feedback. But I feel at the moment, that the feedback possibilities in QLC+ are a little bit to short for this.
Maybe someone likes to jump in here and try out what's possible?

Cheers.
Criwo