Window Size on Raspberry PI

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
David Graber

I finally got time to check out the QLC+ Raspberry Pi image. I like that it's this lightweight, only the tools you need running QLC are installed.

But now I have this **problem**:
The Window of QLC+ has always the same size and doesn't fill out the screen correctly. I tried both on a Full HD 1920x1080 screen as well as on a XGA 1024x768 touch screen (where I would like to run QLC+ productively). It seems that there is a window resolution (and position?) preburned somewhere.

Short remark: I had compiled QLC+ on a raspberry before the official image existed, but there I ran it with the default LXDE of raspbian. I must say that it works, and the user expirience would be better with a window manager. But there is also the performance lack, moving a single fader causes the cpu to go up to almost 100%. And doing nothing takes approx. 30% CPU... So I would appreciate getting the lightweight version to run.

Thanks in advance for helping me out!

Edit: Attached two images of the big and the small screen.
Attachments
2014-08-21%2011.11.31.jpg
2014-08-21%2011.11.31.jpg (568.06 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
2014-08-21%2011.04.10.jpg
2014-08-21%2011.04.10.jpg (218.29 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
Massimo Callegari

Hello David, thanks for your post.
Basically QLC+ on the RPi tries to detect the current screen size and go fullscreen minus a 5% of margin for those TVs that cut the picture.
So no, the size is not hardcoded.
I've got a Samsung TV as well and I can see the window correctly.

One thing though. It might be that a file in .config has been created with the dimension of a previous screen you used ?
Maybe try to remove that file and see if from "factory defaults" the behaviour is correct.

As for a window manager, it's indeed in my TODO list. I am monitoring the progresses of QtWayland but haven't found enough time yet to attempt a serious port.
David Graber

Thanks for your reply Massimo. I will have a look at the config folder when there is time again.

I did not use another screen with this installation before, but the Raspberry Pi doesn't recognize the screen resolution of the small one at its own. So I normally set the resolution in the /boot/config.txt file, with hdmi_group=2 and hdmi_mode=16 (list of all modes on ). Because of this it could be that QLC first took the wrong resolution at the first bootup, and then didn't catch the new one.

If nothing helps I try a clean image with the config file adjusted before first bootup.
David Graber

Thanks for your tipp with the config file, it worked. After deleting it the window had its correct size.

One thing remains though, why does QLC+ compensate for the TV overscan with the 5% margin? I ask because on my little screen I want to use every pixel available; and because one can set overscan compensation in the /boot/config.txt - so for most of us it wouldn't be necessary in my opinion.

Apart from the graphics which work now, I can't get the touchscreen working appropriately without an X server. The driver doesn't want to without, and recompiling the kernel with the driver included didn't help. So for me and my few channels, I will stay with the standard Raspbian image, LXDE and QLC+ on top. But I'm very interested what time will bring to the QLC raspberry pi image :-)
Massimo Callegari

David, I wasn't aware of the overscan parameter in config.txt.
I checked it out, but unfortunately it works in pixels and not in percentage.
In other words, it's not resolution-indipendent.
On the other hand QLC+ retrieves the current resolution at startup and overscan by 5%. What I can do in the next release is to make this "feature" an option (enabled by default) so you can modify the QLC+ startup script and remove it in case.

Regarging touchescreen, I think Qt reads events from /dev/input. If you tell me the touchscreen chipset I can double check if I can find anything about it on the network.
David Graber

The "overscan feature" as an option would be great! I didn't know how the config.txt overscan works, because I never need and never will need overscan ;-)

The touchscreen is a Faytech FT10TMS: . I don't have the exact chipset information, perhaps I can find it out later. The manual says nothing.
The driver I use is an eGalax "eGTouch_v2.5.2107.L-ma" for ARM/MIPS provided directly by faytech.