QLC on Raspberry.... my experience

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
tolmino

Hi, i attach some photoes.

the system is very stable, and it is running from last friday, day and night, without a shutdown.

i have had some issues during creation of workspace: sometime opening button or slider propreties, is opening a new black window.... and system freezes. I haven't a keyboard on raspberry as you can see in images, so i cannot kill xserver and restart it to test if is Operating system or xserver in still.

BUT IT IS FANTASTIC.
Attachments
DSC_0016.JPG
DSC_0016.JPG (357.98 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
DSC_0017.JPG
DSC_0017.JPG (304.37 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0015.JPG (331.05 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG (293.88 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
Massimo Callegari

Hi Tolmino, thanks for the pictures !
I'm glad to read that the software is stable and running for a long time.

As indicated in the documentation, the RPi CPU is very limited so it's strongly NOT suggested to do workspace editing directly on the Pi.
If you go on the Simple Desk panel, you will understand what I'm talking about.

Basically you should create/edit your project on a PC and then load it on the RPi for live operations.

I understand some operations are impossible on the RPi cause there is no window manager, so you can't close or resize windows.
I am thinking to introduce a WM in the next releases and my first choice is Wayland/Weston.
However I need to carefully evaluate the performances impact of such change, so stay tuned for any news !
Cingulingu

Hi, I have a suggestion. Tray Razor-Qt as a desktop environment. I have tested QLC on an old Transmeta (limited-i586) with a very old ATI rage GPU, 512Mb shared RAM, with 4GB CF card, embedded machine. And the Razor Qt give me great performance in comparison to LXDE and others. Even better was the space consumption. Because it natively use qt as QLC do. It become very responsive and performing. The only problem with this machine to be used, is the obsolete HW and very low touch screen resolution (640x480-10"). And it is even worst in term of performance then the Pi so it can be easily compared to the Raspberry
So my suggestion is to give it a try on a Pi.
Massimo Callegari

Hi cingulingu, thanks for the suggestion.
However, if I'm right, Razor-qt depends on X11 and I would like to avoid that.
My goal is to have a minimal window system directly based on OpenGL.
This means extremely low footprint and a limited number of software layers, thus performances.

The other day I tried to build QtWayland on the Pi but it's a mess. I'll try harder later but so far it is not an easy matter at all.
Cingulingu

Hi, Massimo. Yes, it depends on X11. I suggested it just for that. Because I did take a look to wayland and saw, that is a very good project. But may be later on. Because QLC+ need to much of a rework for it. And I think in that stage of development on the RPi it is not wise to change the entire graphic library under it. As you sad "it is not an easy matter at all." And it wood be very difficult to port it to waylaid and even harder wood be, to pinpoint problems.
So my suggestion is to test it with Razor-Qt and port it to wayland later on, or open a separate development project for wayland. With the implementation of Qt-5 in QLCplus and Razor-Qt5 it may not be even necessary.
Choose your poison :-P