Please help me setup beat counting with audio trigger

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
rajdude

Hello!
I need your help please. I have been reading up, testing, experimenting for the past 10-15 days now. I am new to this and I have a show coming up on Saturday. I cannot make the beat counting feature work :(

Here is what I want to do with my PAR lights
  • Flash red at every bass beat
I have managed to do that using a simple audio trigger.
  • Flash green at every 4th bass beat.
For this I need beat counting, right? That is where I am stuck at. I saw this really old post where the OP seems to have accomplished exactly that. I downloaded the file, and playing around with it, but my feeble brain cannot understand how it is all working:
viewtopic.php?t=14479
PS: I posted in that thread, but I am afraid I may not get any reply there since my understanding is that place is to showcase one's accomplishments, and not for asking help.

I also do not understand if the loopbacks are really required. Seems to me it just adds extra complexity which may not be really needed for what I am trying to accomplish (I could be totally wrong!)

Here is the workspace file I have made, so far:
Beat lights Set 1.qxw
(11.35 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
I would really appreciate if someone could please guide me through this. I have already spent quite a lot of time on this project but I cannot make it work as I want.
Thank you in advance!
-Raj
Just a hobbyist 8-)
GGGss

[moderator] Don't post the same request into multiple threads please.
I altered your showfile to what I think could work ... please try it out

Pointers:
Do not reuse scenes in a solo frame—they will fight each other when used elsewhere (in your chasers, for example).
I created a dummy scene, to fill the chaser so we come to the 4 bars needed.
I introduced a Speed Dial widget. Now, you can tap your tempo, and it will adopt the timing for your chasers.
I created a Loopback universe with a generic dimmer and bound it to the audio-widget bass channel. So now, your audio widget 'bass' channel will start tapping the speed dial widget, setting the speed of your chasers.

I did not test this in real life. I just adopted your project to what I think could work.
Attachments
Beat lights Set 1-gggss.qxw
(16.09 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
rajdude

GGGss wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:27 am [moderator] Don't post the same request into multiple threads please.
I altered your showfile to what I think could work ... please try it out

Pointers:
Do not reuse scenes in a solo frame—they will fight each other when used elsewhere (in your chasers, for example).
I created a dummy scene, to fill the chaser so we come to the 4 bars needed.
I introduced a Speed Dial widget. Now, you can tap your tempo, and it will adopt the timing for your chasers.
I created a Loopback universe with a generic dimmer and bound it to the audio-widget bass channel. So now, your audio widget 'bass' channel will start tapping the speed dial widget, setting the speed of your chasers.

I did not test this in real life. I just adopted your project to what I think could work.
thank you very much, Fredje! I will try it out later today.

But I was working on my project until very late last night and I got some part working. New project file attached here.
Beats+Highs lights Set 2.qxw
(13.26 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

Major Problem:
For some reason QLC does not detect the high and low frequencies fast enough. It misses many beats. That makes it almost unusable for my particular purpose, because the flashes are not really sync'ed to the beats.
I tested it using my buttons on the VC, it surely does not blink fast enough if I tap on the buttons fast. QLC+ starts missing my taps.

What I want QLC+ to do is something like this:
https://youtu.be/egnRy7JOY28?si=X6omvksuRFsbRj5E&t=126
Actually, this is a pretty slow song, bass flashes are very slow and long. I was doing my testing on a much faster song.

May I ask you very frankly, is it even do-able in QLC+?
Am I asking for too much from this software?

Or maybe it is a limitation of DMX, I mean DMX may not be able to flash fast enough. Your thoughts?

PS: Sorry for cross posting to the other thread, I thought no one will look at that forum and reply, since it was such an old post (4 years old)
-Raj
Just a hobbyist 8-)