Fixture positioning advice needed.

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
velvetinanox

I am not sure that this is a question for this group, but I am unsure where else to ask. If you can recommend me a different place to ask this question that would be great too. Here it goes:
I have been given some stage lights (2xJB systems iColor 4, 2xChauvet Followspot g400 and 2xEurolite LED Bar 126 rgba)and also got 4 cheap Chinese RGBW LED PARs (yep, I know the quality is dubious at best) . I'm trying to make the most out of this kit for a tiny (read micro) casual venue (only a few times a year). We're basically talking a room the size of living room (about 10mx5m) and a stage about 4x4m. Ceiling height is about 3m. It's all cabaret/burlesque type acts and I'm using QLC+ to control it all. The technical side is fine, I got all the fixtures in qlc working (had to make a few DMX profiles but that was no issue). What I'd like to know is how would you position these lights?
I'm currently using both iColors at the far back (left and right) for a wash over the stage (and some chase effects), the Chauvet follow spots next to them for general stage lighting (though I think 1 might be enough instead of a tight and a wide beam). At the back of the stage I have 2 of the LED PARs high up with a wash aimed at the center (also some chases), the rgba LED Bars are used as uplighters for the black backdrop and the last 2 LED PARs are at front of stage floor level aimed up at performers (if they stand in the center). I was possibly thinking of getting 2 very cheap Chinese Moving Heads (either wash or gobo) to make it visually less static.
I am very much an "enthousiast" but would love to learn to get a bit better. Any tips or resources to learn would be greatly appreciated. If you got this far, thanks for reading.
GGGss

Welcome to the forum,

If it's a burlesque show, you have something to work with.
Since it's only basic, adding one or two movers won't make it more attractive but more of a 'nice try' type of situation. And IMHO, you don't need eye candy. You have the performers doing their things.
I would use the budget to get two or more fixtures with at least an amber colour emitter inside. It is preferable that they also hold a mint channel so that your costume colors come out a lot warmer and more vivid. The makeup will look even more astonishing.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
kenact

I'm sure you'll get some good ideas from the people in this forum. You may also want to join https://www.controlbooth.com/ where they also discuss how and where to hang lights for best effect.
velvetinanox

Hi GGGSS,

Thank you so much for the reply. I've been trying to get some advice for a while on different forums and never got any replies. Currently the only fixture that has a true amber channel are the 2 eurolite led bars. I did use a coloured gel on the Chauvet follow spot which was quite flattering, but obviously made using the colour macro wheel on that one a bit weird. Of all the acts in a show (typically around 12) usually only 2-3 are "classic burlesque", for which I would use a static lighting pretty much as you describe. The rest of the acts are neo-burlesque and can be anything from hard rock, metal, gore, gothic, comedy... Which is where I used the chases and strobe effects to match the act/music, especially during our Halloween shows and that's also where the moving heads would come in. However, I hate coming across as "nice try", so I might just skip that idea and maybe look at replacing one of the older (quite loud) fixtures with a modern LED (inc amber channel) version. Does the above mentioned position of the lights make sense to you? Thanks again for your help.
GGGss

Whatever works for you is fine - I cannot judge your preferences...
You have front, and you have contrast (from the back). Knowing you are playing in tight situations (room dimensions, etc.), it sounds good to me.
You could send in some pictures of how it looks in real life, and then we can judge/point out some suggestions.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore