New User Story

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
tripleb

Hi QLC+ users,

I recently started to (re-)discover lighting and made some first steps and good progress with QLC+ and some simple RGB fixtures last weekend 8-)

Background: I did some lighting as a side-task for a small rental audio company in the 90s - my main job was audio... So I already earned some basic knowledge with DMX, heavy dimmer-packs, Lee-filters and scanners.
Meanwhile a I have a different job, but have my after-work band project where we now want to improve our lighting setup and automate some show elements on a very low level.

So it seems QLC+ is the perfect choice :D

I was able to setup my fixtures, deal with the basic concepts of Scenes, Chaser, Sequences, Virtual Console etc. But I also made first contact and progress with OSC and Loopback

Goal is to bring this finally on a standalone RaspberryPi (or something similar, NUC ...) and control by our setlist and song structures.

I found most of the information I needed in the documentation, or got at least a hint in the right direction here from the various discussion.
BIG THANKS! :)

However, I'm still struggling with some concepts or workflows. Basically I got most of what I want sketched out and running on my test rig. But before proceeding I need some feedback:

1.) Step mode
This took a while. I currently prepared some chases or sequences with infinite duration. With trigger input by Loopback (DMX) or indirect by a button and OSC I can step through my chases/sequences, I can also trigger these steps by the Audio input / loopback. OK

Q: If I want to use RGB matrixes for some nice animations: do I still need to convert them to sequences if I want to use them in this step mode, or ist there an different method how I could step through the patterns in VC/by OSC?

2.) file transfers to Raspberry Pi
I made my first sketches on my Mac. I uploaded them (and a modified fixture) by the web interface - OK.
Currently I uploaded input profiles by the fixtures menu and manually moved them by SSH in the right folder

Q: is there a better way?

3.) it seems that new files like fixtures or input profiles are only recognized in their corresp. menus after a restart of QLC+

Q: is there an other way to get QLC+ to recognize .qxi and .qxf files, when they have been 'places' in the background?

4.) this is maybe something I have to post in the Raspberry sub-forum as well:

The graphical represenations of QLC+ on Mac, Webinterface and Raspberry HDMI output are quite different regarding font sizes
Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-22 um 11.51.46.png

Q: is there a way to optimize/align this?

Cheers
BBB