Limit pan and tilt

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
nirri

Hi
I have Cameo Hydrabeam 400RGBW, set of 4 moving led beams. Fixture definition was provided in QLC.

I try to limit movement of heads, to only pointing forward or side (and between), not backwards. Head has movement of 0-540 and with DMX value 85, I got it pointing forward to audience. Hydrabeam will be located in back of stage.

Documentation is read many times, and after couple of hours experimenting with EFX and XY pad and I just can't figure out how to limit movement way I want.

Finally tried to alter fixture definition, but can't do it there either. Can't edit channel min/max value or create new capability, gives me this error (attachment). Can someone advice how to proceed?
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-17 110157.png
MichelSliepenbeek

You could watch this video: https://youtu.be/8-bgVX4uT2E?feature=shared

Starting at 08:30 Massimo explains how you can limit the movement of the heads.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
nirri

Thanks. I tried that also, for example limiting pan dmx values 156-189 for all heads and I see from monitor DMX values changig 0-255 and even "flip" from 255 to 0 which cause the head spinning around.

Once more I will start from beginning and try again.
Last edited by nirri on Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichelSliepenbeek

..... I see from monitor DMX values changig 0-255 and even "flip" from 255 to 0 .

Are these the Pan and Tilt channels, or are you looking at Pan Fine and Tilt Fine?
Keep in mind that you are using your fixtures in 16 bit mode.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
nirri

Pan channels. I guess pan fine is supposed to run 0-255 and that's okay.
Here I have set pan to 50-120 values. In screenshot we see some values below that. Does the green area override these settings?
Attachments
qlc2.png
qlc3.png
MichelSliepenbeek

If you read the manual: https://docs.qlcplus.org/v4/virtual-console/xy-pad
you will find that the XY pad can be used in 3 different modes.

The restrictions you set in your first JPG only have effect when you use the XY Pad in "mode 1- Absolute positioning".
The XY pad in both your JPG's however is in "mode 2- EFX".

If you look at this example:
Example 2.qxw
(60.63 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

You will find 2 XY Pads.
The first one is in "mode 1- Absolute positioning" and there are restrictions applied on Fixture 3 and Fixture 4.
If you open the Fixture Monitor in 2D View, and use the different presets from this XY Pad, the differences between Fixtures 1 and 2 and Fixtures 3 and 4 show you that the restrictions are effective.

The second XY Pad is in "mode 2- EFX".
If you run one of the EFX's that are preset overhere, the Fixture Monitor in 2D view will show you that the Pan and Tilt restrictions have some effect.
In this situation you still need to use the parameters in your EFX (Width, Height, X-Offset and Y-Offset) and the handles of your XY Pad to restrict the movement of your fixtures.

The trick is to create Starting Positions that will put your EFX's (in relativ mode with the right dimensions) in the right working area.
nirri

Thanks a lot!