Note velocity to CC conversion

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
Vitus

Hello,
I'm designing a synced light show for my band's live performance (triggered by midi file with our backing tracks). I'm using QLC+ routed via loopMIDI to Cubase to record MIDI data.

First I set the type to Note velocity as I thought its gonna be best one to edit in Cubase. Well, the routing worked allright, but when using too much continuous parameters (e.g. heads moving in a pattern, or continuous change of the dimmer on many lights) the Cubase started to get really laggy. I noticed, that as the note velocity cannot continuously change (as CC or Prog Change) it actually write down many many notes each with different value - they even overlapped thus creating a crazy big load of data. That's what was lagging the Cubase. So I change the QLC+ output the CC type and actually tried to overload it - as these are just points - which cannot overlap, it worked much better.

But - my issue is - I already have one song done and written down in Note velocity - I would like to somehow convert it to Control Change... I've already tried with Cubase (via the internal Logical Editor, or even some third party vst) - it converts the notes to CC numbers well even a lot of parameters are right, but there are a lot of "mistakes" making it absolutely mess - I believe the overlapping notes are just mess on itself, so the conversion cannot be done propely - BUT triggering the note velocity midi track from Cubase to my light converter it works as its supposed.... so my thoughts are - if I could just send the note velocity data bacl to QLC+ (exactly as it wrote down to Cubase before) - can I then "convert" the Note velocity to another track in Cubase ? When I tried to route it (cubase Note velocity track data -> midi in QLC+ - midi out QLC+ -> cubase control change track) it did't trigger anything. Can anyone have any idea how to solve this problem? (btw yeah I checked the proper setting of midi channels, and proper setting on qlc+ midi in (set to note velocity) and out (set to cc) as well as the routing in Cubase).

I would be really glad for any ideas, as I would like to avoid programming the whole song again.

Thanks
GGGss

Welcome to the forum,

Are you aware that over here we bring support to the QLC+ users community, dealing with QLC+ related issues.
What you are asking is Cubase related? I can't help you with that...
And you made an mistake while setting your project up and now you want us to solve it? Hihi ... mistakes are there to learn from and I'd simply suggest to redo your work in CC (or whatever that is called?)
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
Vitus

Hi,
thanks for your insight, although I got a bit passive agressive feeling from it :) Indeed if I won't find any solution to this I will have to redo the work. I mentiond the DAW I use for the better understanding of my issue, but the question I'm asking is absolutely related to QLC+ - so if I simplify the question and take away used DAW (it could be actually any, or even some PC midi player directly routed to QLC+ midi input) the question will be:

Can I operate QLC+ by its midi input set to note velocity? (I mean - the options is there in routing, but I couldn't make it working)

(btw CC stands for Control Change - if you check the Inputs/Outputs of the QLC+ and look into configure MIDI in/out you will find there are 3 basic "modes" of MIDI data: Note Velocity, Control Change and Program Change - it's not some "only Cubase" related buzz - but if you are not familiar with this basics od MIDI communication, I guess you are probably not capable of giving me any advice on this issue).

Thanks
Last edited by Vitus on Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
GGGss

To my knowledge, QLC+ can work with velocity changes. The documentation might help you further: https://docs.qlcplus.org/v4/plugins/midi
If additional assistance is needed, there a quite some QLC+ users using a DAW (reaper f.i.) helping them doing their stuf. An example here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV82cuWLlLg
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
Vitus

Thank you for the links. I've already read the documentiation, but as for the video - that's exactly I would like to achieve - the QLC+ triggered by MIDI (ideally straigh from the DAW) - but unfortunately there is no demonstration of the routing in the video :/