External input affects controls in multiple pages in same frame

The issues found when using the Virtual Console
NateTheLightingGuy

Hi, everyone! I believe I found an issue that seems a bit confusing, but I will try my best to explain what I found.

I'm running release v4.13.0 .deb package on Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm) with KDE Plasma desktop.

I am using a Frame in Virtual Console with two pages and three buttons per page mapped to a Novation Launchpad Pro all on separate pads (for recreating this scenario) I have custom feedback setup so I can monitor the buttons response.
Page 1 has three buttons and all three buttons are assigned to their own scene.
Page 2 has three buttons as well assigned to the same individual scenes as Page 1, just controlled with different buttons from the launchpad.

When I switch to Operate Mode, all the 6 mapped buttons have control if the frame starts on Page 1. This stops if I go to Page 2 and head back to Page 1. It does not have the same effect if I start on page 2.
This same behavior occurs on either Page 1 or Page 2 if I disable the widget and re enable it.

Example:
O = Off
L = Lower Value
U = Upper Value
M = Monitor Value
P# = Pad(number)
P1 and P4 control the same scene
P2 and P5 control the same scene
P3 and P6 control the same scene

If I start on Page 1 or disable and re-enable Frame in either page:
| === Page 1 === | === Page 2 === |
| - P1 -- P2 -- P3 - | - P4 -- P5 -- P6 - |
| --- L ---- L ---- L --- | --- L ---- L ----- L -- |
| --- U ---- L --- L --- | --- M --- L ----- L -- |
| --- L ---- U --- L --- | ---- L --- M ---- L -- |
etc ....

If I start on Page 2 or switch to Page 2 from Page 1:
| === Page 1 === | === Page 2 === |
| - P1 -- P2 -- P3 - | - P4 -- P5 -- P6 - |
| --- L ---- L ---- L -- | --- L ---- L ----- L -- |
| --- U ---- L --- L --- | --- L ---- L ----- L -- |
| --- L ---- U --- L --- | --- L ---- L ----- L -- |
etc ....

I know this bug explanation may be a bit confusing, so I'll do my best to answer questions.
Attachments
FrameBugExample.qxw
(6.63 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
GGGss

When you reuse a scene on another page, the button on the other page will have an orange border, indicating the scene has been called elsewhere.
Therefore, reusing scenes is not recommended in conjunction with external commands.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
NateTheLightingGuy

Thanks GGGss for your response, :) I see what your saying, so I have a new project file that has a chaser button on one page and the three scene buttons on the other, separate from each other. Even with nothing reused, the problem persists with overlapping button control within the frame's pages. To help demonstrate the issue in better detail, I made a short video. I hope this helps. :)

https://youtu.be/IRi2cztyDeI

Attachments
FrameBugExampleWithChase.qxw
(5.53 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
MichelSliepenbeek

Even with nothing reused, the problem persists with overlapping button control within the frame's pages.
This is not true, you use the same scenes in your chaser as you use for your buttons on the second page.
So all three scenes are still reused, only on one off the two pages you now launch them in a different way.

If you want to avoid "overlapping button control" just make a copy of your scenes rename them to "Generic RGB - Color - Blue scene - Page 2" , "Generic RGB - Color - Red scene - Page 2" and "Generic RGB - Color - Green scene - Page 2" and launch those scenes with the buttons on page 2.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
NateTheLightingGuy

Thanks for the reply, the overlapping button control I don't think should be an issue in the first place. I may have over complicated the example so I'll start over, as basic as possible.
Two Scenes, two buttons, One Frame, two pages
In the frame:
Page 1 has one button for scene "Light 1" assigned to Pad 1 with feedback (Lower value is White, Upper is Green)
Page 2 has one button for scene "Light 2" assigned to Pad 2 with feedback (Lower value is White, Upper is Green)
One scene, one button per page, nothing shared between the pages

Brand new video to demonstrate:

https://youtu.be/8HndBc4FSwA

The issue is not reusing scenes on multiple pages (although that probably was not the best way to demonstrate).
The issues I'm trying to convey are:
  1. the overlapping button control across frame pages that happens when:
    1. You disable and enable the frame.
    2. Go into Operate Mode on any page except the first that has at least one button
  2. The button feedback does not "turn off" when you switch pages, it just stays at it's last value, looking like it can be used even though there's no control for on a different page.
I hope that clears things up. :)
Attachments
FrameBugNewExample.qxw
(3.97 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
MichelSliepenbeek

Try this:
FrameBugSolution.qxw
(5 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

The tric is to "reuse" the External Control to the specific Pad, but not to reuse the related function.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
MichelSliepenbeek

In the past i used an AKAi APC Mini MK1 on different pages of a Multi Page Screen.

The best way to initialise all your buttons, every time you change the page, is to create templates for each page, with the Initial colors you want to use on that page.
See the following examples:
APC Mini Template 2.jpg
APC Mini Template 1.jpg

I used another Multi Page Frame (the one on top in the examples) for those templates, that changed pages in sync with the other Multi Page Frame (the one on the bottom).
If you have a closer look, you can even see that i used the Buttons in the Right column to change the pages.

Just minimise this (template-) screen: that way it will remain "Aways On Top" but won't be in the way.
NateTheLightingGuy

That's a good way around button feedback not turning off, Michel. Nice setup BTW. :)
Thanks as well for modifying my example, with it, I believe I can show the overlapping button control issue a little more clearly, which I still believe is a bug. ( I hope you don't mind ;) )

I know the videos may seem overkill, but I believe this is the best way for me to show the behavior which leads me to believe this is a bug.
Feedback is set as Lower value is White, Upper is Green, Monitor is Orange
I apologize ahead of time Michel, If I mispronounce your name.

https://youtu.be/sIqPsYV4FxQ

P.S. It's not the original demo, it's the new simplified one Michel modified and posted.

This issue appears when:
1. (sometimes) You start Operate Mode on Page 1 as seen at the end of the video
2. You disable and enable the frame in Operate mode
3. Go into Operate Mode on any page except the first that has at least one button

Thanks again Michel and GGGss for the replies. I'm more than happy to provide more clarification if needed.
Last edited by NateTheLightingGuy on Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NateTheLightingGuy

Issue update: I understand if you don't have a launchpad or other midi device to test this out, It can be difficult to see the issue, so I've made a new demo that can be run without an external control device.
This demo uses keyboard shortcuts. Please see the attached demo.

I'm more than happy to provide more info if needed. I still believe this is a bug, and I would like to help squash it! :D
Attachments
FrameBugBasic.qxw
(8.28 KiB) Downloaded 7 times