Oppray LED PARv - settings help request

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
MattR

Hi,
I purchased some 12x8W RGBW 4in1 Indoor LED Par from Amazon. They appear to be well made, solid lights. I have created a fixture definition for them, following the instructions given on YouTube videos and using the specifications from the manual.

When importing the fixtures into QLC+, the features appear as expected. However, I can only change the RGBW characteristics. I cannot adjust the dimming, strobe, functions or speed; none of these change when the functions are defined or the virtual console is used. If I use a DMX controller, all of the functions work as shown in the instructions.

I have attached the fixture file, a sample test file to show the light in action and a .jpg showing some settings ... from the settings, I should get a green light, dimmed, flashing and with a pulse variable effect. In practice, I just get a bright green light.

I want to keep the lights because they provide a bright, clean light. I can't keep them if I can't dim them etc using QLC+.

Any ideas please?
Attachments
Oppray-12x8W-RGBW-4in1-Indoor-LED-Par.qxf
(1.85 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Oppray light set up.jpg
Oppray test.qxw
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Last edited by MattR on Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MichelSliepenbeek

First step would be to check your Fixture Definition with the Fixture Validator: https://www.qlcplus.org/fixture_validator.php

Basically you have to remove all the "Acts On"-s on the Mode Tab. ;)
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
MattR

MichelSliepenbeek wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:10 pm First step would be to check your Fixture Definition with the Fixture Validator: https://www.qlcplus.org/fixture_validator.php

Basically you have to remove all the "Acts On"-s on the Mode Tab. ;)
I have amended the fixture definition (and re uploaded it) so it no longer has the "ERROR: In mode *, channel * cannot act on itself!" issue and added some more physical details. However, the issue above remains; I cannot adjust any of the characteristics beyond RGBW - no color macro, no mode, no dimming or no strobe.

Is there anything else I can try? The lights are so much nicer that the Chauvet SlimPar 56 lights I want to replace. I have viewed the Chauvet SlimPar's fixture definitions and not found anything different between what has been found automatically on them and what I have added for the Oppray lights (excluding the different features and channel numbers)
GGGss

Opening your project, the first thing that struct me was that, going into produce, there are values for channel 6, 7 and 8...
So I created a 'reset heads' scene, resetting the LTP channels.
Did you try using Simple Desk? This should overrule all values from the scenes. Reset channels with a red 'X' before using scenes again.
Attachments
Oppray test2.qxw
(2.72 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
MattR

GGGss wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:59 am Opening your project, the first thing that struct me was that, going into produce, there are values for channel 6, 7 and 8...
So I created a 'reset heads' scene, resetting the LTP channels.
Did you try using Simple Desk? This should overrule all values from the scenes. Reset channels with a red 'X' before using scenes again.
Thank you for looking at this; apologies for the delay - I was away.

The values in channels 6, 7 & 8 were to illustrate that no matter what value is put into those channels, there is no change to output. I don't get any changes with channel 5 (the dimmer) either.

I used your reset heads but get the same results as above.

The only way of adjusting the brightness of the light is to adjust the RGBW values in the Functions setting for the scene or using the simple desk.

Is it common to get "Chinese" PARs / light fixtures that do not respond to some settings using QLC+ ... it only seems to work with full functions when using a physical light desk?
GGGss

QLC+ does what it has to do...
ScreenHunter_206 Feb. 28 11.02.png
If the output isn't outputted, I'm pointing out to your DMX interface. With Chinese fixtures, lowering the DMX bus frequency may help.
Attachments
Oppray test3.qxw
(6.41 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
MattR

GGGss wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:07 am QLC+ does what it has to do...
ScreenHunter_206 Feb. 28 11.02.png

If the output isn't outputted, I'm pointing out to your DMX interface. With Chinese fixtures, lowering the DMX bus frequency may help.
Thank you for your reply. I have tried your modified .qxw file. The slider helps adjust the brightness of the light but I had to modify it through the Playback menu on the slider properties to do this; it did not have any impact otherwise. Unforuntately, it does not retain the values it was last set as when the light is switched on again. I have tried using a second slider to modify other features, such as the strobe but they still does not work.

It currently seems as though the only way to adjust the brightness of the lights is to create a function with the lights set as lower RGB values for dimmer lights; I can't get any of the other features such as the strobe, macro etc. to work at all.
GGGss

There must be something odd ... please send in your project... I'll have a look.
MattR

GGGss wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:30 am There must be something odd ... please send in your project... I'll have a look.
Hi, thank you for your offer. If you mean the QXF file, it is in the message above yours and the original ones are above that. If not, could you advise what file I can provide please? I would be grateful for your assistance.
MattR

Hi all,
any thoughts on this? I'm close to giving up on the lights but wanted to give them one last chance as they seem like they could be so good.
Thanks,
kenact

GGGss asked for your Project file, it has the QXW extension.
GGGss

To the OP - your project file above is inconsistent. Please send in your current version.
MichelSliepenbeek

I cannot adjust the dimming, strobe, functions or speed; none of these change when the functions are defined or the virtual console is used
I noticed that you did setup your channels 6, 7 and 8 as LTP (while channels 1 .. 5 are set as HTP).
You could change 6, 7 and 8 to HTP, or leave them as LTP but then create an extra scene (box channels 6, 7 and 8 and set the DMX values to 0) to initialise those channels when you start your show (add it to your Start Up Function: the green flag on the functions tab).

Your Master Dimmer (channel 5) is set up as HTP and is controlled by the slider on your VC. In your "New Scene 0" you also set this channel to 160.
This means that if your slider is set to a value above 160, the value in the scene has no effect while on the other hand if your scene is running, your slider will have no effect in the range 0 .. 160.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
MattR

Hi folk,
I'm back working on this after Easter holidays. I greatly appreciate the answers that are coming through. I have been able to solve some of the issues using the information you've provided so far ... I am working my way through things when I have the opportunity. I'll report back ASAP. Thanks
kenact

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but do the lights have multiple modes, and are you sure you have the lights in 8 channel mode?