No USB in the output devices list

Ask a question related to the QLC+ 5.x usage here.
Provide as much details as you can, especially what you would like to achieve and if available, a sample workspace of your work in progress
domhaumont

Hello,
I'm working for several years whit QLC+ 4.10.5B. I would like to try QLC+ 5, but I don't find the output device usb Entecc pro MKII. Any usb output device. But in the video demo, I saw them. I don' understand the difference. Could you help me? Thank you very much. Dominique
mcallegari

Select a universe and open the side panels
domhaumont

Thank you, Massimo. When I open that, I find only 5 ArNet, 5 E1.31, 4 Loopback, General midi, and OSC. That's all. I don't understand. Thank you for your help.
Last edited by domhaumont on Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcallegari

Which operating system are you on?
domhaumont

Windows 11
GGGss

On Win11, with the MKII connected, I can select it from the list
QLC5 (latest) works as designed.
domhaumont wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:15 pm Thank you, Massimo. When I open that, I find only 5 ArNet, 5 E1.31, 4 Loopback, General midi, and OSC. That's all. I don't understand. Thank you for your help.
@OP: there must be something else going on. I suggest, open QLC+ v4 and check if your MKII is listed there. If not -> You have a driver problem (which doesn't exist yet for .11 - but this can be arranged for)
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
domhaumont

Bonjour,
I have solved my problem. I'm a little bit stupid.
Working at home on QLC5, I hadn't the MKII with me. It stays at the music club, where we work with it.
So now, I brought it here and connected it. And it works!
On the précédent versions 4, the device is listed in the library, even if the device is not connected. In the 5 version, it's listed in the library only if you connect it.
Thank you for help,
Best regards, amitiés,
Dominique
farlander762

I'm seeing the same issue in QLC+ 5 but in Ubuntu 22.04. I do have two FTDI devices plugged in and can "see" both of them when running lsusb. Additionally, have QLC+ 4.12.4 running concurrently (QLC+ 5 was opened first, 4 was only opened as a troubleshooting step) and it found both devices.

One is a proper ENTTEC Open (Blue), the other is a $19 Suamdoen (Amazon). I've checked as closely as I can, even disassembled the ENTTEC, and as closely as I can tell they both use the same FTDI chip, driver, pretty much everything except for how they are packaged.
QLC+5 IO Page.jpg
QLC+4 IO Page.jpg

BTW, Ubuntu is getting cultish like the big names in software and will only allow the installation of 4.12.4 from their own repo. Come late June when the newest Linux Mint is released, I'm moving everything to that.

Any thoughts on the DMX USB issue?
Thanks!
GGGss

Question: do you or don't you have both program versions running at the same time?
A program can only open and address one (1) port at a time.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
farlander762

I didn't even have 4 installed on this machine when I started playing with 5. When that wasn't showing either USB DMX device and I couldn't figure it out, I installed and opened 4 to confirm.
farlander762

Odd, it's working now. Maybe 4 loaded something like libusb that it needed.

I would send a pic but the forum has locked up my browser 4 times now when attempting. I may not wait until June to get Minty...
SteveT

Maybe I'm just not understanding how USB drivers work in Win11, but running into something similar that seems... odd.

Cold-booting with my USB (uDMX) cable plugged in, Device Manager recognizes it, says it is working properly, but most of the time, (3/4 or so, usually) opening QLC+ 5 Beta 3, selecting Input/Output, scroll all the way down, where uDMX would be listed there is something I can drag onto the first universe, but it has no description, and does not work. The other quarter or so of the time, it has the uDMX description, and works fine.

If I boot, then plug in the cable, Device Manager reports the cable, but occasionally, QLC+ does the same thing -- blank description in the I/O device column.

So long as that description is there, everything works fine. Otherwise, it's quit QLC+, unplug/plug in the cable, restart QLC+, check I/O, repeat until it works. I usually have to repeat no more than 4-5 times.

I have no idea what's doing it. Varying the time between Device Manager recognizing it (a second or so) and starting QLC+ (anywhere from a few seconds to a half-hour) does not seem to matter. I would have thought cold boot would be consistent, but maybe it's not in Win11. I'm not seeing anything different in Task Manager.

I'm kind of at a loss. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
SteveT

Figured it out. Or at least a workaround. The driver that came with the cable (that I just bought) was outdated. Found a newer one on-line, (from a different manufacturer -- the website from the cable itself says the one in the package is the current one) and all is well.