RGBMatrix fill replacing any color to another

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
maartenvd84

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to use the RGBMatrix function to replace any active color (e.g. blue) with another color (e.g., blue).
e.g., my current color is GREEN. I trigger the animation: boom ... from left to right GREEN becomes BLUE. Sounds simple, right?

Today the only way to do this is to make different matrices per color to be added/subtracted and think very carefully when launching a scene which is the current color, and what color addition/subtraction I need to trigger to get to the desirable end-color. In some cases this means bundling two matrices in a collection.
In my previous example: If I want to go from Green to Blue => Removing green matrix + Adding blue matrix in a collection (and ensure they run at the same pace ;) ).

Note:
- I use LTP for all my channels (if that would matter)
- I know it can be done by not using a RGB matrix (and rely on a chaser with individual scenes), but ... these matrices are pretty cool and offer the flexibility I like thanks to the grouping selector. Would be cool if it was available for scenes as well ('fixture groups').

Thx,
Maarten
That dude that enjoys the lightshow more than the actual concert :-) . Beginner QLC+ user.
MichelSliepenbeek

What you could try:

Create a RGB Matrix with Pattern = Plain Color, Blend Mode = Subtract and Blend Color = Red. Now do the same for Green and Blue.
Create a standard Frame and within that put a solo frame with 3 buttons (that launch your 3 RGB Matrices) and a Submaster Slider.

Run another RGB Matrix with (for instance) Blend Color is Cyan.
Now press the green Button and move the Slider Up.

If you also create Matrices for Cyan, Yellow and Magenta and also create a set with Blend Mode = Add, you might end up with something like this:

Color Add-Subtract.jpg
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
Yestalgia

Use an Animation Widget with presets for your colour and thank me later.
maartenvd84

Hi Michel and Yestalgia,

Thanks for your help once more.
Configured both of your proposals, but didn't get to what I had in mind.
What I wanted to achieve in the end (and yes, I can do it ... but it feels a bit cumbersome) is this:
Looplicht.gif
("Click on me, I'm a (badly :D ) animated gif")
(Sorry for the (lack of) cable management too :D --> Quick setup to showcase my issue)

It uses this code:
Remove Blue

Code: Select all

<Function ID="602" Type="RGBMatrix" Name="RGB-CXX ALL_WASH SS: Fill Remove Blue (Left --&gt; Right)" Path="02. Color" BlendMode="Subtractive">
   <Speed FadeIn="125" FadeOut="0" Duration="221"/>
   <Direction>Forward</Direction>
   <RunOrder>PingPong</RunOrder>
   <Algorithm Type="Script">Fill</Algorithm>
   <MonoColor>4278190335</MonoColor>
   <EndColor>4278190335</EndColor>
   <ControlMode>RGB</ControlMode>
   <FixtureGroup>12</FixtureGroup>
   <Property Name="orientation" Value="Horizontal"/>
  </Function>
and add white

<Function ID="580" Type="RGBMatrix" Name="RGB-CXX ALL_WASH SS: Fill White (Left --&gt;  Right)" Path="02. Color">
   <Speed FadeIn="125" FadeOut="0" Duration="221"/>
   <Direction>Forward</Direction>
   <RunOrder>PingPong</RunOrder>
   <Algorithm Type="Script">Fill</Algorithm>
   <MonoColor>4294967295</MonoColor>
   <EndColor>4294967295</EndColor>
   <ControlMode>White</ControlMode>
   <FixtureGroup>12</FixtureGroup>
  </Function>
joined in a collection.

<Function ID="688" Type="Collection" Name="COL-RGB-CXX ALL_WASH SS: Fill Blue &gt; White">
   <Step Number="0">602</Step>
   <Step Number="1">580</Step>
  </Function>
Key to make it work is of course to start from a scene that has all the lights blue.

@Yestalgia: When using the animation component and function 'fill' I fade from color x to y. That's not what I want. Happy to learn how I can work around that with the animation widget.
@Michel: I'm probably missing some experience, but please shine a light on what the purpose of your submaster would be. I see the concept of adding a submaster regularly on the forum, but I don't always grasp why one would add it.
That dude that enjoys the lightshow more than the actual concert :-) . Beginner QLC+ user.
MichelSliepenbeek

... shine a light on what the purpose of your submaster would be....
You can use it in different situations:

- Color Fades. Run a RGB Matrix in Yellow, use the "Subtract Green" to gradually fade to Red and then start a RGB matrix (or Scene) in Red. Now use the "Add Blue" to fade to Magenta and start a RGB matrix (or Scene) in Magenta.
- Accent your Effects. Run a Scene (or RGB Matrix) in White on your Washes, use the "Subtract Blue" to fade (your washes) to Yellow and then start an Effect in Blue on your Spots/Beams.
- subtle variations while Busking. If you create two sets of the Matrices for the Left and Right side of the stage: if you run a Orange Scene and use Subtract Green for the Left and Add Green for the Right, with the fader you can change the colors on the Left (to Red) and the Right (to Yellow), while the overall experience remains Orange.
- change color temperature. You can also use it to fade from Neutral White to Warm White (use Subtract with Blend Color Red(0), Green(78) and Blue(145)), or from Neutral White to Cold White (use Subtract with Blend Color Red(53), Green(37) and Blue(0)).
- build up to a climax. If you have a slow intro to a fast song: start with a blue Scene (or RGB Matrix) and by the end of the intro use Add Yellow to fade to white.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
maartenvd84

As always, thanks Michel for taking the time to teach us.
I've been playing around with your suggestions and there's indeed some subtle tings you can achieve by using the sub master.
GGGss

maartenvd84 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:44 pm As always, thanks Michel for taking the time to teach us.
I've been playing around with your suggestions and there's indeed some subtle tings you can achieve by using the sub master.
I don't want to mess up with the thread here - but a general pointer to Maarten: Submaster is a slider put inside a frame. Now, every function started inside that frame will be intensity controlled by the submaster.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
MichelSliepenbeek

If we go back to the beginning of this thread:
I was wondering if it's possible to use the RGBMatrix function to replace any active color (e.g. blue) with another color (e.g., blue).
e.g., my current color is GREEN. I trigger the animation: boom ... from left to right GREEN becomes BLUE. Sounds simple, right?

I guess what Maarten really wants is something like the "Color Sweeps" or "Fade Directions" (using Soft Palettes) in Chamsys.
In this video at 02:12 you find an example: https://youtu.be/hoS6aPlPuHw?feature=shared
Or here at 05:25 another one: https://youtu.be/vW6xbpts9vo?feature=shared
maartenvd84

@Fredje: Thanks!
I guess what Maarten really wants is something like the "Color Sweeps" or "Fade Directions" (using Soft Palettes) in Chamsys.
Spot-on! Those were indeed good examples of what I was hoping to achieve with a single RGBMatrix. See also my GIF in a previous post.
GGGss

ehhm ... there is a new effect in v4.13 called SquareTrue. I didn't test it already but I think this is what you're after at?
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
maartenvd84

new effect in v4.13 called SquareTrue
It might be, but can't tell ... since I don't see that effect in the dropdown of v4.13 on Windows nor Linux (Rasbian).
The only squares I found are:
  • Squares
  • Fill unfill squares from center
  • Squares from center
Is it in the development version?
GGGss

maartenvd84 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:39 am
new effect in v4.13 called SquareTrue

It might be, but can't tell ... since I don't see that effect in the dropdown of v4.13 on Windows nor Linux (Rasbian).
The only squares I found are:
  • Squares
  • Fill unfill squares from center
  • Squares from center

Is it in the development version?

No ... it was announced in the release-notes viewtopic.php?t=17141 It should be present in the EFX...

[edit] Ai ai Caramba ! The new thing is for EFX NOT RGBMatrix