PI ARM64 vs ARMHF Packages

All the topics related to QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi
charliem

Hi All,

I am running my QLC system on a PI4 using one of the official images. I have customised the image a fair bit since the install to fit my specific needs better. So when previous updates to QLC have been released I simply download the new versions DEB package and install it replacing the existing version. However when I have tried to install the latest release I get an error message.

Code: Select all

dpkg: error processing archive qlcplus_4.13.0_arm64.deb (--install):
 package architecture (arm64) does not match system (armhf)
Presumably the builds are now ARM64 builds? Is there anyway to get an ARMHF build of the latest release?

Thanks,

Charlie
SMNDVC

Hi Charlie,

ARMHF is an architecture used on 32 bit processors. ARM64 is modern version made for 64 bit processors (RPI 5 is the first 64 bit raspberry).

Image you probably downloaded is qlcplus_raspios_bookworm_20240317.7z

You should download any older version, for example (under button Bullseye) qlcplus_raspios_bullseye_20230519.7z

If you want to download qlc directly onto your RPI4 (wich is 32bit), use any file that ends in armhf.deb, for RPI5, you would yous any arm64.deb. Transfer via usb stick or download from the internet using webbrowser, and use: sudo dpkg -i file_name.deb

Hope that clears it
Best of luck, Šimon
Last edited by SMNDVC on Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
charliem

Thanks for the reply.

From what I can see the current OS image is 32 Bit however the Pi4 has a 64bit CPU. So it could run the latest image if I rewrote the SD card image.

I was just wondering if there was a 32 Bit a build of the latest QLC Package for the Pi? Theres a couple of fixes in the releases notes that I think would be beneficial to me.

If theres no alternative package available, short of building from source my only option is to reflash the SD Card and then have to reapply all my customisations.

Charlie
mcallegari

At the moment I have no plans to build also a 32bit version of version 4.13.0.
Obviusly I can if the need is baked by a few other Pi users.
In any case I would prefer to draw a line and continue with 64bit support only for obvious maintenance reasons.
spectral

I've got the same issue too. Ideally, I'd start again from the new 64 bit image but don't really have the time before shows at the moment with all the customisations (OSC etc)
If I can't upgrade the raspi version, I'm going to have to downgrade the version on the PC I use for design until I can re-image the raspi.
mcallegari

As far as I can recall, there is no compatibility breakage between 4.12.7 and 4.13.0 so projects modified in 4.13.0 should work correctly when loaded with 4.12.7.
demophoon

I personally would love to see an ARMHF package for 4.13.0, or even steps on building it myself for my pi. I don't think i'll be getting an arm64 pi anytime soon.
edogawa

In our home:mcallegari79 OBS we could easily set up Raspbian 32bit deb builds, it's just a matter of enabling that target distro and architecture, the build recipes are there...
In my home project on OBS I already build Debian11 and Raspian ARM debs of current GIT, see https://software.opensuse.org//download ... us-qt5-git
IIRC the Debian armhf7 package installs just fine on a RPi.

If Massimo is ok with it, I can try and find time to set that up in his OBS, also for Debian 12
mcallegari

I prefer to build a 32bit 4.13.0 myself and place it in the reserved area
In this way I don't have to give support for builds that I can't control/verify