RGB Matrix help

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
kproth

I have a collection of 12 LED wash lights, shining at different locations around the perimeter of an ice rink), and I like to have them run a pattern of moving one color around into different locations, or fading between a couple of colors. I've been trying to use RGB Matrix functions to drive that, in the mode that drives the RGB color rather than the dimmer, so that I can easily setup different colors and patterns and re-use a single "Dimmer=255" scene to light them up. While it seems to work, I can't figure out how to test it live without adding it to a collection first alongside my dimmer scene. Which means I have to alter the RGBMatrix setting, then jump over to the collection and play it, then jump back to keep experimenting until I like the pattern and color choices.

Is there a "better way"? Can I somehow "lock" that scene active and then go over to the rgbmatrix to play with its settings?

Separate question - is "EFX" an option I could try to explore? From the docs:
Only fixtures that contain valid pan & tilt channels can take part in an EFX function. Lately EFX can control also other channels like Dimmer or RGB.
Does that second sentence imply it may become possible to add fixtures that just have RGB & Dimmer channels?
Yestalgia

Your first option is to edit it while live which is possible :)

Or you can do what I do:
  - Create a channel group with the dimmers selected for your fixtures.
- Before you edit your matrix, go to the simple desk and put up the dimmer channel group

Hope this helps :)
kproth

Yes - those are the pointers I was looking for. Thank you!
MichelSliepenbeek

Separate question - is "EFX" an option I could try to explore?
Yes, you can use EFX in Dimmer Mode to create "level Changing Effects" and in RGB mode to create "Color Changing Effects".
If you have a look at the workfile in this post viewtopic.php?p=67586#p67586 you will find some examples.

Don't forget to store the QXI file in your user library.
Be aware that i have set up my RGB channels as LTP (Latest Takes Precedence).
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
kproth

Re: EFX -- this is interesting! If I add some RGB-only wash lights, it "works", but "about" 25% of the time it seems to be black (all 3 colors off I suppose), specifically when the active portion is all the way to the right on the movement tab. And some of the time it's pure white. But I like the effect when it's changing colors. Will have to play more to see if there's any way to get it to stay out of the black and white zones... Thanks!
MichelSliepenbeek

To see what you are doing, in the EFX Editor on the Movement Tab you need to box "Back Ground Color"".

With X-Offset you set the Base Color (e.g. Blue = 167).
With Height you set the Color Range (e.g. 40 sets the range from Cyan over Blue to Magenta).

With Y-Offset you set the Intensity Range.
With Width you set the Base Intensity.

It is important to understand that on the Top Half of the Y-axis you vary the Color from Black (Top) to Base Color (Mid, e.g. Blue).
On the Bottom Half of the Y-axis you vary the Color from Base Color (Mid, e.g. Blue) to White (Bottom).
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
rajones203

I’ve started messing around using the EFX editor to control a color wheel (via Loopback). I think that EFX editor could be as powerful as many others if it wasn’t built so much for movement and could control all channels. With offsets, channel ranges, etc….. just my 2c since I’ve seen so many people using the matrices and EFX for more than their intended uses.
______

Russell Jones
TV Professional - EVS, Producer/Director
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com