Raspberry Pi 5 and 64bit image

A place where updates of QLC+ activities and technical articles are posted as if it was a blog

Which Raspberry Pi model are you currently using?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:16 pm

Raspberry Pi 1
4%
Raspberry Pi 2
No votes
Raspberry Pi 3
30%
Raspberry Pi 4 (or 400)
48%
Raspberry Pi 5
19%
Raspberry Pi Zero
No votes
Raspberry Pi Zero W
No votes

Total votes: 27
mcallegari

QLC+ on the Raspberry Pi version is still an important piece of this project.
Running a full lighting desk on a limited budget device is a key changer on several project we've seen over the years.
From being a portable and low energy solution to being a cost effective one, people adopted it in any possible way!

Today I've finally been able to run QLC+ on a Raspberry Pi 5 without a desktop environment.
Every new Pi generation introduces new challenges from the software point of view.
Pi 5 made no exception.

What I noticed though is that every generation has a dedicated compatibility software (kernel+drivers) and so right now there are like 6 different versions of the same component in the image to support every Raspberry Pi model.

So I was wondering, as a normal practice in software development, if moving to the 64bit architecture and support only the latest Pi generations.
This would mean a new image will support the following Pi version: 3B, 3B+, 3A+, 4B, 400, 5, CM3, CM4, CM4S and Zero 2W
This choice would also limit the image size, meaning less time to download and flash it.

What do you guys think?

Let me know in the poll what is the Pi generation you're currently using and if moving to 64bit would be OK for you!

Thanks!
markzvo

I think it is very common at this point to only support Pi 3B and newer. Many other softwares also follow this convention. Pi 5 support is more important than continued support for Pi 1/2. My opinion :)
edogawa

I second what markzvo said.

I don't use the image currently on any of my RPis, only the .deb in RPi OS, or my selfbuilt rpm in a Tumbleweed image. I started with Raspberries when Model 3 was the newest, bought some 4 and a 400 later, and will surely try to get a 5 soon. I have been given an ancient Pi1 (I think) and it was unbearably slow even in VT, so I wonder why anyone would take te pain these days to run QLC+ on it. No experience with the 2 or any CM models.
dvthomas

Hello

I'm using the 3B+ and i'm planning to have soon a rpi5 to perform tests.

Thats why I already checked the rpi5 in the poll.

Regards
btree

Network and USB on Raspberries < model 3 were too flaky to be of much use for DMX, IMHO. The fact that virtually nobody uses them anymore also is a strong argument to dump the 32 bit ARM architecture. I mean I even have an old but working model 1B somewhere in a drawer and I never bothered trying to run QLC+ on it because I know that it can't handle more than one single MIDI port (in *or* out, not even 1x1) without an external UART. I think the only thing images for old Raspis will be good for is creating complaints and frustrated users about and due to their next-to-uselessness.
Nicko453

I think the suggestion is very sensible, and pretty well in-line with industry practice.
SPOPATT

I agree with the above points. One it's industry standard for paid services and two QLC+ is becoming competitive with those paid services. The availability of the newer units has vastly improved also. I wouldn't have supported this move as much a couple years ago but now it's a no brainer in my opinion.
Nicko453

Thinking outside the box a bit .... with the progressive increases in processing power of the RPi, do the benefits of having a 'cut down', QLC/Pi specific image vs a full desktop environment justify the development and support time and effort involved ?

I have been running QLC+ on a RPi 5 with a general RPi image (64-bit Bullseye with full desktop) - using DMK King adapter plugged straight into Pi USB - and it seems to run quite smoothly with 30+ fixtures. It is obviously not quite the 'black box' arrangement I have been used to over the years, with a Pi 3 and the QLC+ Pi image, where you just turn the unit on and it runs QLC+ automatically, but still not an onerous task to start QLC+ from the menu.

[As an aside, I physically installed the RPi on the back of a 10" touchscreen, and it works pretty well as a self contained unit. The small touchscreen is adequate for navigating the o/s, starting QLC+, and operating QLC+ controls (as long as you make the buttons etc big enough on screen). ]

I guess, put simply, the question is - "is the RPi 5 powerful enough to not warrant a 'cut down o/s and QLC+' image?"
mcallegari

The point is: not everyone is comfortable to setup and tweak a Linux environment.
The purpose of the dedicated image is
1) have an out of the box solution where you flash a SD card and you're ready to operate with web interface, QLC+ autostart, GPIO and UART plugins, network manager control, etc
2) no need for a display, mouse and keyboard. You can just put the Pi hidden in some case or rack and forget about it
3) minimize the download size/time with a minimal Linux stack with faster boot time

I hope I gave enough reasons to still consider the dedicated image a valuable solution to have QLC+ running on a Pi.
GGGss

mcallegari wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:12 pm The point is: not everyone is comfortable to setup and tweak a Linux environment.
The purpose of the dedicated image is
1) have an out of the box solution where you flash a SD card and you're ready to operate with web interface, QLC+ autostart, GPIO and UART plugins, network manager control, etc
2) no need for a display, mouse and keyboard. You can just put the Pi hidden in some case or rack and forget about it
3) minimize the download size/time with a minimal Linux stack with faster boot time

I hope I gave enough reasons to still consider the dedicated image a valuable solution to have QLC+ running on a Pi.
For fixed installs the Raspi works absufabulous perfectly. Thx for the effort to keep it up.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore