Multiple Controllers

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Windows operating system
shirthappen

First let me say that I am loving QSC Plus! We are using the Entec USB for output. We have had great success using the APC Mini to control our lights but found some limitations due to the fact that either myself, the guitar player, or our drummer has been operating the Mini. I pulled out an old Roctron MIDImate to be able to do more with foot controller. However that too has limitations. We are unable to flash lights or control a cue list with the Rocktron. Is it possible to use both controllers for input changes while using just the one Entec for output? I'm thinking I would need to set up a second universe but it doesn't appear that I can assign lights to 2 universes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
MichelSliepenbeek

Assuming that your fixtures are in universe 1:

Use Universe 1 for your Fixtures and assign your Enttec as Output (for this Universe). Change the name to "Universe 1 - Fixtures".

Keep Universe 2 for spare (change the name to "Universe 2 - Spare").

Use Universe 3 for your Akai (change the name to "Universe 3 - Akai APC Mini"). Select the Akai APC Mini for Input and Feedback and (on the next Tab) select the Akai PC Mini Input Profile.
Use the Toolbox Icon to set the Midi Channel (If you have a mk1 set it to 1. If you have a MK2 check the forum: there are a lot of posts about that).

Use Universe 4 for your Rocktron Midimate (change the name to "Universe 4 - Rocktron Midimate"). I guess you need to use a MIDI to USB cable, so this will determine the name that QLC will show at the Inputs Outputs Tab. Set it up for Input and Feedback (and use the Toolbox Icon to set the Midi Channel to Omni Mode (1-16)).
As there will not be a Input Profile available for the MidiMate you have to add one yourself (use the wizard).
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
shirthappen

Thanks for the quick response. This could be a real game changer for how we can work our lights in real time. A light guy would be nice but....LOL. I won't get to try this until next week. You laid it out really well for me for sure. Hopefully the profiles will already be there since we're using the Rocktron now and previously used the APC.
GGGss

shirthappen wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:35 pm Hopefully the profiles will already be there since we're using the Rocktron now and previously used the APC.
The surely will not (!) They were never created...
BUT !
Reading between the lines, I am assuming you guys are pressing buttons and your lights react to midi-notes? Right?
This is somewhat malpractice. The idea of using external controllers is to use them to trigger pre-programmed functions __inside__ QLC+ (them driving your lights).
This means, you need some fixtures and functions. You need to create some scenes and place some buttons on your Virtual Console. In the buttons properties you need to assign a function to it (previously created scenes). Only now connect your external controls to these buttons as an external input.
With the use of the external signals, you can start/stop functions driving your lights.
This is the whole concept of using multiple universes, so that everything is well separated/isolated.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
shirthappen

The surely will not (!) They were never created...
BUT !
Reading between the lines, I am assuming you guys are pressing buttons and your lights react to midi-notes? Right?
This is somewhat malpractice. The idea of using external controllers is to use them to trigger pre-programmed functions __inside__ QLC+ (them driving your lights).
This means, you need some fixtures and functions. You need to create some scenes and place some buttons on your Virtual Console. In the buttons properties you need to assign a function to it (previously created scenes). Only now connect your external controls to these buttons as an external input.
With the use of the external signals, you can start/stop functions driving your lights.
This is the whole concept of using multiple universes, so that everything is well separated/isolated.
Hmmm...I may not be as far along as I thought I was. This is what we used Saturday night with only the MIDIMate.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=13318

We had previously run this same Virtual Console with the APC Mini. My goal was to make a Cue list to be controlled by the Mini to be a starting scene for each song. Then use the Midi Mate to make changes during the song since the Midi Mate doesn't seem to want to to advance more than one step in the Cue list. Could my whole problem be in the Profile?
Attachments
Screenshot (1).png
GGGss

Can I (we) have a look at your project file please?
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
shirthappen

Attachments
County Line 2024 With Truss.qxw
(50.91 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
MichelSliepenbeek

The problem is not in the Input Profile: if you use the Auto Detect option for assigning External Controls, you can even do without such a profile.
As your MidiMate only sends CC messages, an Input Profile will only add meaningfull descriptions.

I downloaded a manual for the MidiMate and did a quick scan on it:
- the Midimate can only send CC (and PC) Midi messages. It does not Receive (so you cannot use the Feedback option in QLC), it does not support Notes (which sends a Note On when pressed and a Note Off when Released) .
- i could not find an option to change the characteristics of a Button (On/Off vs Flash, AKA Latching vs Momentary).
So the problem is mainly in (the limitations of) your MidiMate.

If you really want to continue with using a Foot Controller for your lights, i suggest you try to find a second hand Behringer FCB1010.
It supports Midi Notes, there are Free Programs (like FCB1010 Manager) to set it up on your PC and it has two Expression Pedals (to set your Level, but you can also use it as External Control on the CrossFader of a Cue List).

If you as a guitar player might be using a Line 6 Helix (or another multi effects pedal): you can also use that to send Midi (even in combination with the MidiMate).
If you use different settings for Chorus, Verse and Solo for a song, it might be an idea to let the Helix also send a Midi message with every change (or use Snap Shots, or .... I own a HX effects but never tried this).

Remark: there are several Eeproms to upgrade the FCB1010 (to use it as a Kemper footswitch, Uno, Eureka, ......). i don't think you need them to controll your lights: they won't harm, but do not pay extra for that.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
shirthappen

MichelSliepenbeek wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:39 am The problem is not in the Input Profile: if you use the Auto Detect option for assigning External Controls, you can even do without such a profile.
As your MidiMate only sends CC messages, an Input Profile will only add meaningfull descriptions.

I downloaded a manual for the MidiMate and did a quick scan on it:
- the Midimate can only send CC (and PC) Midi messages. It does not Receive (so you cannot use the Feedback option in QLC), it does not support Notes (which sends a Note On when pressed and a Note Off when Released) .
- i could not find an option to change the characteristics of a Button (On/Off vs Flash, AKA Latching vs Momentary).
So the problem is mainly in (the limitations of) your MidiMate.

If you really want to continue with using a Foot Controller for your lights, i suggest you try to find a second hand Behringer FCB1010.
It supports Midi Notes, there are Free Programs (like FCB1010 Manager) to set it up on your PC and it has two Expression Pedals (to set your Level, but you can also use it as External Control on the CrossFader of a Cue List).

If you as a guitar player might be using a Line 6 Helix (or another multi effects pedal): you can also use that to send Midi (even in combination with the MidiMate).
If you use different settings for Chorus, Verse and Solo for a song, it might be an idea to let the Helix also send a Midi message with every change (or use Snap Shots, or .... I own a HX effects but never tried this).

Remark: there are several Eeproms to upgrade the FCB1010 (to use it as a Kemper footswitch, Uno, Eureka, ......). i don't think you need them to controll your lights: they won't harm, but do not pay extra for that.
The Behringer FCB1010 may just be the way to go. Without someone dedicated to running lights, a footswitch is the best option. Even $150 new is doable. I'm using a Headrush MX5 but I don't make many changes in song. Never thought of using it for lights. I have the rig for each song in a Setlist on the MX5 so I could probably send an initial Scene with each rig change.
I do appreciate all of the help. I'm discovering how much lighting is an art in and of itself. For us it's always been kind of an afterthought.
MichelSliepenbeek

Just a few tips:

- have a closer look at what you can do with frames https://docs.qlcplus.org/v4/virtual-console/frame.
You could use a multi page Frame, where you use a separate page for each Bank on your footcontroller (following the logic that within QLC only the page that is on top is active).
If you know the Midi Messages that you receive from your controller for "Bank Up" and "Bank Down" you can use them as External Control for "Next Page" and "Previous Page".
If your Controller sends a Bank Number you can also use it to jump directly to the matching page.

- have a look at RGB Matrices https://docs.qlcplus.org/v4/function-ma ... rix-editor
In Blend Mode = Standard, with Pattern = Gradient or Plasma you can easily create yourself some Color Changers without having to bother about setting up colors.
If you use Blend Mode = Mask, you can run Effects like Strobe, Noise, Opposite, Waves, and Circles that work on the colors (and Levels) you did set up with your scenes before.