Easy way to switch from one universe to another?

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
musicmand

I'm having a critical issue wherein QLC+ has memory leakage to the point where the entire OS crashes. After research, I suspect that it might be tied to the fact that I'm using universe 1 for both input and output (even though I've always done it this way without issue until switching to IAC Driver). Before I waste even more time trying to track down the error logs and everything else (I'm not even quite finished programming the show and it's tomorrow), I thought I'd try just splitting it into two universes to see if that solves the problem... so here are some questions-

First, is there an easy way to do this other than individually reassigning? I'm sending midi cues from Ableton via the IAC Driver, so I have something like 85 virtual console widgets getting fired.

On the other hand, I still haven't figured out how to properly build fixture definitions for my 3-in-1 LED bars, so I have every segment on each one built as a separate fixture. Yes, it's a mess, and yes, I plan to start over from scratch after this show, but for now I'd prefer not to manually reassign each of the nearly 400 "fixtures" to another universe.

So before I spend the five minutes of tedium reassigning those 85 midi cues, is there a "batch processing" way to convert everything, either inputs or outputs, at once?
GGGss

musicmand wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:29 pm
On the other hand, I still haven't figured out how to properly build fixture definitions for my 3-in-1 LED bars, so I have every segment on each one built as a separate fixture. Yes, it's a mess, and yes, I plan to start over from scratch after this show, but for now I'd prefer not to manually reassign each of the nearly 400 "fixtures" to another universe.
Build a fixture profile and use the remap fixtures utility. Warning: create a backup and a second one too ... thank me later. https://docs.qlcplus.org/v4/fixture-man ... -remapping
musicmand wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:29 pm
So before I spend the five minutes of tedium reassigning those 85 midi cues, is there a "batch processing" way to convert everything, either inputs or outputs, at once?
* Prepare your project for the new universe ...
* give it a meaningful title.
* add a dummy dimmer or something to this new universe. Give it a meaningful name. (You need this name as a pointer).
* save your project
* Open your project in a text editor. Try to figure out the structure of it (it is like an .xml file)
* look for the meaningful names you gave the new universe and new fixture.
* With some finger muscles, you can edit and move all your fixtures to this newly created universe easily.
Warning: Create a backup (again) - breaking the structure of the showfile, destroys your showfile. (Create a 2nd backup as well - thank me later ;-)

Break a leg
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
musicmand

GGGss wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:15 pm
* Prepare your project for the new universe ...
* give it a meaningful title.
* add a dummy dimmer or something to this new universe. Give it a meaningful name. (You need this name as a pointer).
* save your project
* Open your project in a text editor. Try to figure out the structure of it (it is like an .xml file)
* look for the meaningful names you gave the new universe and new fixture.
* With some finger muscles, you can edit and move all your fixtures to this newly created universe easily.
Warning: Create a backup (again) - breaking the structure of the showfile, destroys your showfile. (Create a 2nd backup as well - thank me later ;-)

Break a leg
This was brilliant and worked a charm. I even used find/replace to save some time (though I did have to use the "0</universe>" search term instead of "<universe>0" term... never did figure out why). Now all the fixtures have been moved to Universe 2 and the IAC Driver is by itself on Universe 1.

Unfortunately, while it made my "kernel panic" system crash error happen less often... it's still happening. Takes about three hours of active use, which is better than it crashing every hour before isolating the universes. On to fixing my fixture definitions, just in case there's a memory leak there.
GGGss

Do you have a proof of QLC+ leaking memory? Or is it the combination of and Ableton and the use of midi to trigger things in QLC+ that makes your system unstable?
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
musicmand

GGGss wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:49 am Do you have a proof of QLC+ leaking memory? Or is it the combination of and Ableton and the use of midi to trigger things in QLC+ that makes your system unstable?
All I have is the crash report that says QLC+ was the process that ultimately caused the crash. Something about kernels and not having enough space in a table.

The items that have changed recently are Ableton, the IAC Driver (I've been using midi controllers to busk for at least the last two years), and of course asking QLC+ to deal with my learning curve in using these together.

I'll do a full on post about that after I try updating the fixture definitions of my LED bars.