NO brightness channel on fixture (color palette), any workaround?

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
denverhousedj

I have a Chauvet Color Pallet, and i like it a lot. With modes, you can use it as one cell (whole palette one color), 2 cells (left/right), 4 cells(quadrants), or 8 cells (2 rows of 4).
My issue is there is not a brightness channel on this fixture, and I like to program my brightness (intensity) separate from color for flexibility (almost exclusively busking).
I tried putting 24 sliders in a frame (8 cells X3 for RGB) with a SUB_MASTER, however the submaster only works if you override the channels, will not control brightness from functions while "monitoring". Has anyone come across a situation like this and been successful with any kind of work-around?
TIA
Tom
denverhousedj

UPDATE: I was able to figure out a solution! I changed my existing color palette fixture in my project to universe 3 (VIRTUAL FIXTURES), and added another color palette fixture back in to my dmx output universe (universe 1). This was the easiest way as I did not need to edit my existing scenes. Using loopback, I then patched the two fixtures together
using a VC frame with 24 faders for all the RGB channels. I then put each group of RGB channels inside their own frames (1 master frame and 8 sub frames). I then put a sub master slider in each frame. This gave me dimming controls over each individual RGB group and a master dimmer. Now to utilize these submasters to create scenes, i created a virtual 9 channel dimmer on universe 3. In a new VC frame I created 9 faders that correspond to the 9 channels of the virtual dimmer. Finally, I used loopback to patch the 9 virtual dimmer channels to the 9 submaster faders. I can now create complex chases independent of color (ie. don't need a separate chase for each color).
I hope that this might help anyone that has a similar issue.
Tom
GGGss

We lack 'virtual dimmers' for this situation. The only way to go is by using sub-masters. And you did it rightfully.
Thanks for sharing.
For the novice reader: this solution should be marked as 'advanced', because the Loopback Magic is present in its purest form. The usage of loopback channels makes your project quite complex. I would strongly advise to create an input profile for debugging purposes.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
denverhousedj

Fredje,
Thanks for the response and input.
I have only been using QLC for about a week and a half now, and I think input profiles is my next deep dive.

I am almost fully set up with my small rig;
-2 generic moving heads -nonRGB(color wheel) and GOBOS
-4 RGB pars
-Chauvet color palette
-(I have the materials for, and will soon be building a generic 24ch RGB fixture with 8 LED tape strips.)

Still need to get control widgets and programing for the moving heads, had some issues getting them to work properly with the XY pad.
I checked course vs fine, but the issue was that the XY pad was controlling the FINE tilt/pan channels(2,4) and not the regular tilt/pan channels(1,3).
The only way I have found so far to make it work on the correct channels(1,3) was to disable the fine control channels(2,4).
This is probably not the CORRECT way to set them up, but the only solution I could figure out so far.
I might need a separate post or possibly message you directly with some other questions about my movers (gobo/color indexing?, macros from FreestyleDMX vs QLC scripts).

I would like to post my project once I have it dialed in as the setup is complex but the use/workspace is fairly compact, straight forward, and easy to use.
It has LOTS of automation, yet is extremely flexible and is setup to play "on the fly" (busking).
Not sure where on the forum is appropriate to post about general workspace (VC) layout, workflow ideas, etc.

I was looking at the progress on V5, and almost ready to download, but my use HAS to have audio triggers.
My use is for DJ sets.

Sorry if my reply is a little rambling, I am quite excited to be getting the most out of my (and my son's) setup!

Thanks again Fredje
Tom