Akai APC Mini Mk2 feedback

Request a feature that you would like to see in QLC+.
Explain in details why you would need it and which is your usage case.
Tooters

Hello! I currently use two Akai APC mini as inputs for my QLC+ show. They work wonderfully (except the bug with the newest version where you can't properly assign two of the same controller- which is mitigated by the git version I found in these forums somewhere that has a temporary workaround)

Anyways, Akai just released a new Mk2 version that has a full color palette for the buttons. The mk1 only does red green and yellow colors on the buttons. I would love to upgrade and be able to show my buttons in full color! However I'm not sure the feedback profile is available for it. I could be willing to do some research on which feedback numbers correspond to which colors, but I am looking for some assurance this controller will have a feedback profile before buying two! Please let me know if I can provide additional information. Thank you for your time :D
rajones203

I just bought two APC Mini’s for my console. I am working with them right now, just haven’t had time to fully go through.

One thing I noticed that everything was super dim… but probably something I’m doing wrong due to lack of knowledge. I will post here when I get that figured out the numbers for all the colors. I used a generic dimmer outputted to it and went through the 0-255 values and see the colors change on the pad. Saved a scene with all the standard RGBCMY and White values so far.
______

Russell Jones
TV Professional - EVS, Producer/Director
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com
desinellc

Put the feedback/output on channel 7 (It's the brightest, don't understand why). As for color assignment, right now I'm doing it manually myself which is tedious but will be nice.
rajones203

Can you send me a picture of how you have your's configured? I'm having trouble getting two to give feedback at once... ie. When I click the feedback for one Universe, and then go to select the second Akai's feedback, it says that it has already been assigned. Go back to the first Akai's universe, and it has all FOUR boxes checked. What am I doing wrong?

What do you mean by channel 7? MIDI channel 7?
______

Russell Jones
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com
rajones203

Oh my, you are right. MIDI Channel 7 on the output = BRIGHT!

I searched through the forums and found that it might be a 4.12.6 issue. I haven't seen how to correct it, and I'm not sure how to use any more recent test version. The problem is solved in the new Beta. I'm going around it by using MIDIPipe and Routing to a Virtual Input. Solves the problem with a little extra computing. Glad to see it is solved. I'm a speed dial away from switching to 5.0
______

Russell Jones
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com
Tooters

Great news everyone, I reached out to Akai and they sent me an exhaustive document with all the feedback information for the Mini Mk2. I attached the PDF. I hope someone can make some sense of it!

There seems to be color values, brightness values, and pulse/blink values.
Attachments
APC mini mk2 - Communication Protocol - v1.0 (1).pdf
Official Akai Document
(855.84 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
djnikkofb

I have attached my input profile I made.
A few issues, and specifics I have found.
1- Assigning a Feedback to a CUE list will not trigger the colors you set for high/low.

- Assigning colors to the feedback above the sliders have only 3 options (Red is the only color)
- The SHIFT button will not change color, no matter what color number you assign for feedback.
- Assigning colors to the feedback buttons to the right in green also only have only 3 options
SMALL SQUARE BUTTONS___________________
Color Feedback #'s are :
Solid/Off/and Blink
1-5, 10, and 15 are the only numbers used for feedback response
PADS________________________________
- Colors can be chosen 1-255 for all the PAD colors
6-White
4-White less bright
20230216_003829.jpg

(7.31 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
DJ NIKKO - FLAVOREDBREAKS
SOUTH CAROLINA - EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENT DJ
- WEDREAMSC.COM - @DJNIKKOFB
Tooters

Yeah that's the same with the mk1 mini, shift has no light, right side buttons green only, lower row of small buttons only red.

Thank you for the work!!
rajones203

Correct me if I am wrong but this has not solved the issue of the Red and Green (small) buttons only working on Channel 1 Output? Resulting in very dim RGB leds? I just switched to Ubuntu and cant find a viable replacement for MidiPipie, which is how I was working around it with a Keyboard Split.
______

Russell Jones
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com
rajones203

As usual, I've come around to a similar solution, but not without the boxing match.

For Linux users:

I installed Jack and Carla, learned all about ALSA and JACK MIDI, and how to bridge the gap. Could be pretty useful in the future because I feel with a little setup, I can virtually do whatever I want with my midi inputs now.

I'll try and get the time in the future to write up some proper help to guide user through a new setup, but everything can be found by googling "Set up Jack/ALSA Bridge.

Same thing is being accomplished as MidiPipe.... I input the feedback for my AKAI to a Virtual (ALSA>JACK) Bridge. There I can add plugins from Carla to Keysplit Notes higher than 88 (Which is approx where the small buttons start) to Channel 1, and the lower notes get sent to channel 7 (which results in the brighter leds)

So you can see the potential here is quite untapped, and you could create filters and such so that certain buttons flash, etc...

Good luck to everyone that purchased an AKAI APC Mini Mk2!!!!
______

Russell Jones
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com
revilo196

Hey everyone!

I recently got the Akai APC mini mk2 and have been working on a program to enhance its feedback functionality.
With the help of Tooters' documentation, I developed an simple mapper/router that does map the RGB buttons to CH7.
Additionally I also changed the colors to only use the first 64 colors. The rest of the Colors are used to route to CH9.

I developed an simple mapper/router that does map the RGB buttons to CH7.
Additionally i also changed the colors to only use the first 64 colors. The rest of the Colors are used to route to CH9.

These modifications allowed me to set up better QLC+ feedback.
Now, the Button-Off state displays a solid color, while the Button-On state blinks.

I'm really happy with the results and would love to hear your feedback or if you'd like to try it out yourself!

Currently this uses a VirtualMidi device that is only available under linux.

you can find it here with the full documentation:
https://github.com/revilo196/mk2apc_4light

I also worked on a handy lookup sheet for the colors:
Attachments
APC MINI mk2 qlcplus colors.pdf
(45.3 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
Last edited by revilo196 on Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
rajones203

I’m trying this tomorrow!!! Thank you!
______

Russell Jones
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com
rajones203

Very nice work sir! I am very impressed. It was like you read my mind for what I wanted and burped software out that my brain was thinking about.

This system works very well and the flashing button option is an absolute treat. I'm sure with some math you can do some crazy things with your config file.

I also love how you can change the names of the virtual MIDI inputs and run two instances (for two unique pads) and it all works!

Now, can anyone help a linux newbie write a script that will run two instances of this at boot, or when QLC boots?

Thank you so much for your efforts with this. My favorite contribution to the forum since I've started messing with QLC!!!!
______

Russell Jones
Lighting Hobbyist
rajones203@gmail.com
Johnnyx

Hello!

Is possible get bright big buttons (I was configure to MIDI ch 7, then buttons is on brighter level) and feedback to small buttons. I was get working feedback, to small button only on MIDI ch 1 , but then big buttons is dim
maartenvd84

I was very interested in getting the Akai APC Mini MKII to blink... and therefore followed the instructions listed in viewtopic.php?p=69227#p69227. When I try to run the command 'cargo run --release' I get below error. Something with certificates apparently. Anyway to get around this for a semi-Linux-noob.
SSHError.png
Full instructions here: https://github.com/revilo196/mk2apc_4li ... me-ov-file.
Or are there other means to get the 'Blink functionality on Windows/Linux'?

Edit 15:52: In the meanwhile found the solution to that problem... Basically it was caused by VirtualBox network card settings. After setting it to 'Bridged' mode, it worked. See also: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1387233 ... virtualbox
Now I have some build errors, but will see if I can fix those on my own first :)
That dude that enjoys the lightshow more than the actual concert :-) . Beginner QLC+ user.
maartenvd84

Small update: got it working.
For future reference / helping others with similar challenges, I'll add the things I had to to to get it working.
1. Installed it on a fresh Lubuntu and some packages were missing...
0_install.png
2. Selecting the correct midi devices
After that I could run it (although I had to update config.toml to the correct device based on the output after running the tool).
1_mk2apc_4light.png
3. Select the correct midi input and output in QLC+
2_MidiConfig.png
That dude that enjoys the lightshow more than the actual concert :-) . Beginner QLC+ user.
GGGss

Thanks, Maarten for POST-posting your findings ;-) These will surely help someone else in the future.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
Raeuberbach

HI everyone,

and first, let me say thanks for all the great support everyone is giving.

I've been working with QLC since 2017 and I'm still learning.
The latest topic is my new AKAI APC Mini mk2. With your help, I was able to brighten the feedbacks of the pads (using Chanel 7). I was also able to make the small buttons shine red on Chanel1.
But now I'm at the point where I want both at the same time and I fail.
Im sure it's because of some plugin-settings, but I dont know, what to do.
Can someone please help?

Below a screen of my settings.

edit: I'm using 4.12.7
JanS

revilo196 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:50 am ...
I also worked on a handy lookup sheet for the colors:
Hi, I'm also into programming my light with the AKAI APC Mini MK2.
I was wondering if anyone here wrote a feedback color sheet like @revilo196 did it with the final version of 4.12.7?