MIDI to control both sliders and scenes

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
Zedroopy

Hello,

I'm using a DAW (Studio one for now) to send MIDI CCs to QLC+ via midi loopback driver, in order to control the VC in which I replicated the 10 channel of my PAR(s). I set up each slider widget with the midi monitor in both the general and level tabs.
That's working great.
My problem is, if I want to do the same for scenes, i.e setup a button with a midi trigger, the scene activation won't take over the "overridden" sliders, so the scene doesn't actually show.
Is there a way to have both control modes at the same time (individual sliders and scenes)
Of course, within the DAW, I'm using either sliders or scenes, not both at the same time.

Also, having search the forum for my issue, I read that it's good practice to have a universe for midi in, and another one for DMX out, yet I can't figure out the two would connect?

Thank you for the help.
GGGss

If your channels are set by HTP, the highest value will win the battle over priority. So if a slider has a higher value than the value set by the scene, the slider will win.
You can change that behavior by selecting LTP in the channel modifier of your fixtures.

Indeed, keep inputs separated from outputs. You might get very strange results. (Midi driving dmx channels directly). Your input signals are interpreted on the VC controls. The controls do their thing and the engine spits out signals to the fixtures defined, in their chosen universe. So you don't need to 'connect' something.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
Zedroopy

Thank you very much for the quick reply and detailed pointers.
QLC+ wiki says you shouldn't changed HTP/LTP unless you know what you're doing, so I skipped that 😆.
I'll try setting my fixtures to LTP.

About the universes, so if I understand it right, the VC is across universe and controls the fixture you tell it to, in whatever universe it's in?
Zedroopy

I tested with LTP channel settings, the slider behaviour when switching scenes did change, but did not resolve my issue with scene control.
I attached a screenshot of my sliders with the issue occuring: DAW MIDI took control of Red and Blue channels, and although MIDI isn't sent anymore, if I click my scene buttons, Red and Blue won't move, unless I click the red "reset override" cross. You can see the blue "secondary" slider is up to 255, but the main slider (and thus light) is not receiving the command.
Is there a way around this?
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2024-02-17 002536.jpg
GGGss

Zedroopy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:03 pm About the universes, so if I understand it right, the VC is across universe and controls the fixture you tell it to, in whatever universe it's in?
Correct, it is even possible to start a function, which holds values for fixtures spreading across multiple universes. This doesn't matter at all.
Zedroopy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:03 pm I attached a screenshot of my sliders with the issue occuring: DAW MIDI took control of Red and Blue channels, and although MIDI isn't sent anymore, if I click my scene buttons, Red and Blue won't move, unless I click the red "reset override" cross. You can see the blue "secondary" slider is up to 255, but the main slider (and thus light) is not receiving the command.
The screenshot does not reflect what you are saying. Where is the second slider for blue? Oh you mean the external input slider? OK.
You know you can verify all your signals using the DMX monitor. By using this built-in tool, you have an overview of all values... even those coming in.
In general I give the users the suggestion that the DAW should only give out signals that set scenes (chasers, EFX, ...). Not trying to set DMX values directly for the fixtures. Doing it like this, you have much better control of the manual part vs the DAW signals interfering.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore