SOLVED: IAC driver help! (MIDI feedback loop)

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Mac OSX operating system
musicmand

UPDATE: I fiddled around with Ableton and got it to function correctly. One thing I did notice with Ableton is that I had to specify for it to ONLY take input from the MPK Mini - it defaults to taking input from any MIDI source, including the IAC driver, which would create a MIDI feedback loop. I suspect the same thing is happening in Logic. I'll poke around to see if I can find that setting in Logic and report back.

UPDATE 2: That's exactly what it was. I had to dive all the way back into MIDI preferences and it's a global setting, but IAC was enabled as an input. There HAS to be a way to choose by the track, right? In any event, that solves my problem for the time being. Mods can either delete this or leave it up for anyone who runs into a similar issue.

I'm struggling to get the IAC driver to work. My OS is 10.15.6. I'm currently trying to get Logic Pro X to talk to QLC+ 4.12.7, but no joy (I have Ableton 11 Intro, but haven't gotten around to learning it yet). Essentially, rather than running cue to cue on QLC+, I want to trigger widgets as if I were busking live. Here are the problems I'm experiencing:

1. Even though everything appears to be set up correctly in Logic and QLC+, the signal from IAC is intermittent at best. I'm using my MPK Mini to trigger a track on Logic set up as an external MIDI track, assigned to IAC driver. I've sat on the inputs/outputs page and I see the input coming through, but only about half the time. This is the same whether it's live or on playback.

2. When playback does work, the widgets don't work properly. On my MPK Mini or my Korg NanoPad2, I just tap it once to turn on; tap again to turn off. The IAC command functions as a double click, like it's triggering on the press and then triggering again on release. EDIT: I realized that I only tested this in playback - I tried live and it's behaving similarly. I can, however, sometimes get it to stay toggled on, but I can't figure out any rhyme or reason. It's like IAC is sending multiple commands at once. I used auto detect on the widget's external input in order to assign it.

3. This might be the root of the problem, but I don't know how to diagnose. When I try to record notes through Logic on the external MIDI/IAC channel, instead of single short notes like I'm actually playing (and as it shows up during recording), the notes sustain the entire duration of the recording take. I tried to record both the external MIDI channel and an instrument track at the same time but both are glitched, only registering the first few of the notes I'm playing.

Can somebody help? This might be moot once I get around to learning Ableton, but I'm building a show for next month and didn't want to learn both how to automate the show and learn a brand new DAW.
kproth

I don't know if this would help any. But in case you're not aware, you can create multiple "buses" in IAC. That would let you dedicate each bus to a defined function and set it as input or output where needed.