How much time to learn QLC+ for synchronising MP3-music with 30 "lights"

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
StefanL38

Hi everybody,

I would like to know as an estimated value how long will it take to learn all the steps to be able to
create a "light"-show where 30 "lights" will be switched on/off in sync with music coming from a MP3-file.

Though in this case there are not lights switched but watervalves.
What options do I have for connecting QLC+ with a microcontroller that will receive switching commands
and will switch on/off relais or MOS-FET-transistors etc?

How long this really takes depends on the knowledge somebody already has.
So I am familiar with basic editing soundfiles with audio-software like Audacity or ocenaudio.
I am Not familiar with high complex software like Cubase etc.

I know all the basic standard stuff how to work with office-software I use multiple CAD-software
Vectorworks, IronCAD, QCAD and do some scripting with autohotkey.

A rough estimation is will do.
Will it take

a.) 2 to 4 hours?
b.) 5 to 20 hours?
c.) 50 to 200 hours?
to learn to do the things described above

best regards Stefan
janosvitok

There are two parts:

1. How to tell QLC+ what to do - i.e. what music to play, and when the "lights" should be on or off: for this watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sCqQQCsv7Y - QLC+ Shows - https://docs.qlcplus.org/v4/show-manager
2. How to connect QLC+ with your valves: This is on you. There are several options, you have to choose depending on your abilities, etc.
Overall, I'd guess you will have something within "b" (maybe even "a" ) , but fully working and stable system will be more likely "c".

Ad 2: How to connect QLC+ and valves:

QLC+ is primarily designed to output DMX. That means if your relays controllable, you need DMX output device for your computer and you are done.
FYI: DMX is just a protocol over RS485, so if your microcontroller has RS485 input, you have start from there.
There are USB devices that output DMX (check DMXKing, enttec,...).

Alternatively, QLC+ outputs Artnet, sACN/e1.31 (all are DMX over IP), MIDI, and if run on raspberry, it can control its GPIO pins.

As you see there are many options, the question is where QLC+ and the valves meet :)

Jano
thibaultphil

Good morning,
To carry out your project, you will need a USB DMX interface (enttec) then to control the valves either they are dimmable then a DMX dimmer will do the trick or they are not then you will need a DMX relay (https:// www.amazon.fr/LOOR-SORTIE-Contr%C3%B4Le ... .83967fdb- 7ef7-4324-8657-c06d3b13b59e&pf_rd_p=83967fdb-7ef7-4324-8657-c06d3b13b59e&pf_rd_r=6A784SZ8FC52ZHHBRHW0&pd_rd_wg=RZd5d&pd_rd_r=9413645 9-8bc4-497a-8112-dd039bc911d8&pd_rd_i=B0CCCQ2NCJ&psc=1)
For the QLC development part you will need to create a show to synchronize the music with the management of the valves.
For someone familiar with QLC it will take a day to get everything ready.
Sincerely
GGGss

IMHO - I am very sceptical about your project in conjunction with QLC+
QLC+ is not a timecode processor, it will not be milli second precise. Since your project involves hardware valves and water jets, by nature, it will create a lag between the command and the outcome. You need perfect control over the timing to get this lag in time with the music.
In a very past project, I tried to solve this by postponing the start of the audio with the time the lag measured. This created a situation where the lights were lit well before the water jets, etc...
This was a very c) try and many errors project.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore