Cue List Weirdness

The issues found when using the Virtual Console
ShagLight

4.12.7, Windows 10

I have a lot of different chasers and to cut down on the number of buttons I need to trigger them, I set up cue lists set to "select next/previous step." The chaser I used to import the chasers (chasers within a chaser), that is then imported into the cue list, is set to infinity.

I assigned hot keys to scroll through previous and next chasers on the cue list, and trigger the selected chaser from a button on my APC40 MK2. That way, one button on my APC40 MK2 can trigger any number of chasers, depending on which one is selected in the cue list.

The cue list (for the pars, for instance) is in a solo frame, which also includes different scene buttons and a submaster slider. So nothing lights up in that solo frame until the submaster is up, which is patched to a fader on the APC40 MK2.

This setup was working fine in 4.11.2, but last weekend I lit up a couple shows (my first time putting 4.12.7 through it's real world paces) and found a problem. With the submaster down and when triggering a selected chaser, the pars light up and I didn't even bring the submaster fader up. Once I work the fader, it works as desired, until I trigger a selected chaser again. This does not happen in 4.11.2.

Screen shot of my workspace attached.

As always, a big thanks for any ideas and thoughts.
Attachments
Screenshot (6).png
NO, I AM NOT THE SOUNDMAN!
GGGss

Submasters only influence functions started inside a frame.
It looks like your subchasers are living outside of the frame. (TopTip: limit the submaster to 1, not zero...)
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
ShagLight

GGGss wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:33 am Submasters only influence functions started inside a frame.
It looks like your subchasers are living outside of the frame. (TopTip: limit the submaster to 1, not zero...)
Sub chasers are inside the solo frame. Cue list highlighted in red.
Attachments
Screenshot (6) B.png
GGGss

Then this is a bug ... @mcallegari
@shaglight - can you send in your project file please?
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
mcallegari

A simple project to reproduce the issue please
I won't even start to debug on that monster project
Thanks
ShagLight

GGGss wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:27 am Then this is a bug ... @mcallegari
@shaglight - can you send in your project file please?
OK, here is a simple show file I created. It was created in 4.11.2, and the possible bug happens in 4.12.7. File attached, and thanks as always!
Attachments
Cue List Possible Bug.qxw
(8.61 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
ShagLight

mcallegari wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:10 pm A simple project to reproduce the issue please
I won't even start to debug on that monster project
Thanks
My project is a monster? LOL But seriously, I'm a huge fan of QLC+ and I've got some serious light shows happening with it.

Anyway, attached is a simple file I created to show the possible bug. It was created in 4.11.2, but the bug happens in 4.12.7.

Fixtures are just generic RGB, so you can see it in the monitor.

Thanks as always!
Attachments
Cue List Possible Bug.qxw
(8.61 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
MichelSliepenbeek

(TopTip: limit the submaster to 1, not zero...)
Did you follow Fredje's tip?

It seems to me that the chaser will pick up the correct Submaster value if it is in the range (1 .. 255).
Only if the submaster = 0, it will pick up the "previous value" :
- if you start the chaser for the first time this will be 255.
- if you REstart the chaser this will be the value of the submaster that you used before stopping the chaser.

If you can confirm that your problem only occurs when submaster = 0 and that everything works fine if you keep the submaster in the 1 .. 255 range, we might have reduced this "monster project" to a simple "Less (<) instead of Less Or Equal (<=) mistake". :) ;)
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
ShagLight

MichelSliepenbeek wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:10 am
(TopTip: limit the submaster to 1, not zero...)
Did you follow Fredje's tip?

It seems to me that the chaser will pick up the correct Submaster value if it is in the range (1 .. 255).
Only if the submaster = 0, it will pick up the "previous value" :
- if you start the chaser for the first time this will be 255.
- if you REstart the chaser this will be the value of the submaster that you used before stopping the chaser.

If you can confirm that your problem only occurs when submaster = 0 and that everything works fine if you keep the submaster in the 1 .. 255 range, we might have reduced this "monster project" to a simple "Less (<) instead of Less Or Equal (<=) mistake". :) ;)
Hit play on the cue list with the submaster at "0" and the selected chaser will run as if the submaster was at 255.
mcallegari

Thanks for the simple project.
I confirm I reproduced the issue and it seems related to value 0 only.
As a workaround you can set submaster value to 1 if that is acceptable for you. You can also act on channel modifiers to tell QLC+ 1 is actually 0.

This the Chaser inside a Chaser case and it's very difficult to debug, so it will require some time to get solved.
MichelSliepenbeek

To help you with your debuging:

- this is not introduced with version 4.12.7, it was already there in 4.12.4 (i started using QLC from 4.12.4, so maybe even earlier).
- it is not restricted to a "chaser within a chaser case" only (otherwise i would not have noticed this, i never used a chaser within a chaser).
It also happens if you launch functions from a multi page frame (and you don't use a separate submaster on every page).

I made it a habbit to always set all submasters to 1 before i save a workfile.
That way already preventing surprises when you launch a function for the first time. :) :)
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
ShagLight

mcallegari wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:57 am Thanks for the simple project.
As a workaround you can set submaster value to 1 if that is acceptable for you. You can also act on channel modifiers to tell QLC+ 1 is actually 0.

This the Chaser inside a Chaser case and it's very difficult to debug, so it will require some time to gel solved.
While you're at it, another glitch I found is when using an APC 40 MK2, the play button on the cue list will only send one upper feedback value regardless of what value you assign it. So if I give the upper feedback a value of 42 (which would give a green color on the APC40 MK2 button), it still sends a value of 255.
ShagLight

ShagLight wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:33 pm
mcallegari wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:57 am Thanks for the simple project.

This the Chaser inside a Chaser case and it's very difficult to debug, so it will require some time to gel solved.
While you're at it, another glitch I found is when using an APC 40 MK2, the play button on the cue list will only send one upper feedback value regardless of what value you assign it. So if I give the upper feedback a value of 42 (which would give a green color on the APC40 MK2 button), it still sends a value of 255.
I'm not sure why you have to import anything into a chaser, then import that chaser into a cue list. Wouldn't it be easier and simpler to code in such a way that you just import everything (be it a scene, chaser, or whatever) directly into the cue list?
kenact

ShagLight wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:15 pm
I'm not sure why you have to import anything into a chaser, then import that chaser into a cue list. Wouldn't it be easier and simpler to code in such a way that you just import everything (be it a scene, chaser, or whatever) directly into the cue list?
A Cue List is just a way to stipulate which Chase you're going to use. A Chase can also be used in other ways. For instance, I can create a chase that just plays a series of music files, then assign that Chase to a button on my Virtual Console.
ShagLight

kenact wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:37 pm
ShagLight wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:15 pm
A Cue List is just a way to stipulate which Chase you're going to use. A Chase can also be used in other ways. For instance, I can create a chase that just plays a series of music files, then assign that Chase to a button on my Virtual Console.
The reason I want to be able to select chasers from a cue list is because I have a lot of different chasers and if I were to use them all, I would need a lot of buttons on my APC40 MK2. So to reduce the need for a lot of buttons, I want to do it with a cue list so one button on the APC40 MK2 can trigger any number of chasers, depending on which chaser is selected on the cue list.
MichelSliepenbeek

You could also make use of Multi Page frames.
As only the Page that is On Top is Active, you can assign your sliders and buttons on every page as external control to different functions/widgets.
ShagLight

MichelSliepenbeek wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:15 pm You could also make use of Multi Page frames.
As only the Page that is On Top is Active, you can assign your sliders and buttons on every page as external control to different functions/widgets.
Thanks, but I already tried that. Doesn't work as desired.
kproth

FYI - I believe I've tracked down the root cause of this issue, and I posted details in a comment on the associated Github issue (https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/issues/1466). Hopefully Massimo can implement a fix for you based on this research.
ShagLight

kproth wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:25 am FYI - I believe I've tracked down the root cause of this issue, and I posted details in a comment on the associated Github issue (https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/issues/1466). Hopefully Massimo can implement a fix for you based on this research.
Thanks! Looking forward to the next version!