Find the right file to tune DMX USB Enttec Open

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Linux operating system
MartinDPR

Hello everyone,

I startet with QLC+ a few days ago. I have a Raspberry Pi B+ so I am running QLC+ on this device. I obtained the image file for Raspberry from the developer. And I purchased an "Enttec Open DMX USB". Everything is working so far. I am controlling four identical lights (Ignition WAL-L310 Par). I use cables with five contacts. The Raspberry is running headless, controlled by Wireless LAN (with an USB-Dongle - it worked out of the box). I configured the file on my Mac, opened the web access on the Raspberry and loaded the file there. Now, I can change colors, intensity and programs using the web interface.

But: the lights are not always stable. Sometimes, there is a flickering, or a sudden change of color. So I want to change parameters of the "Enttec Open DMX USB". On my Mac, it is easy to do so. I can change the frequency. But where do I change parameters on the Raspberry?

In the documentation, I read:
Configuration files are located in your user $HOME directory, in the .config/qlcplus folder.
Here's the quick command to access it from a terminal:
cd $HOME/.config/qlcplus
You will find both QLC+ and Fixture editor configuration files.
I went to "$HOME/.config/qlcplus", and called "ls -a" to see files, but there aren't any files.

I found files in different locations, but I don't think I found the right file.
  • /etc/init.d/qlcplus (start, stop etc.)
    /usr/share/qlcplus/ (several files)
    /root/.qlcplus/autostart.qxw
The documentation reads:
Most likely you will not find the following parameters in a standard QLC+ configuration. To make them effective, you need to add them at the end of your configuration file.
Category: enttecdmxusbopen
Name: channels
Type: integer
Description: Set the maximum number of DMX channels transmitted by Enttec Open (and similar) devices.
In some cases this could solve flickering issues. For example you might try with 256.
Default: 512
Please can somebody point me in the right direction?
mcallegari

Easier thing to do is to connect a TV to the RPi, a mouse and a keyboard, head to input/output panel and adjust the output frequency from the USB DMX plugin configuration.
Try it on your computer first
MartinDPR

mcallegari wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:34 pm Easier thing to do is to connect a TV …
Thanks for your reply. This might be easy, if a screen, keyboard and mouse is available. I am working with a notebook computer, and use ssh. Perhaps I could use VNC. I will find a solution. But my initial quest is to find the file where channel and frequency settings are stored. This should be somewhere. And I can't find it.
mcallegari

it's in

Code: Select all

$HOME/.config/qlcplus/Q\ Light\ Controller\ Plus.conf
the problem is that the frequency map (section [qlcftdi]) is stored as QVariant so it's unreadable.
MartinDPR

As I wrote in my initial posting: I went to "$HOME/.config/qlcplus", and called "ls -a" to see files, but there aren't any files. There are still no files there.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo tree -a /home/pi/.config
/home/pi/.config
|-- procps
`-- qlcplus

2 directories, 0 files
mcallegari

That's because QLC+ is launched as root at boot, so

/root/.config/qlcplus/Q\ Light\ Controller\ Plus.conf
MartinDPR

This is it. Now I have found the file. Thank you!