Pan Fine and Tilt Fine and other Channel definitions do not work as expected

The issues found when using the Fixture Definition Editor application
kenact

When defining a fixture with a Pan Fine or Tilt Fine channel, the fixture is created, but Pan Fine and Tilt Fine channel definitions do not work properly within scenes assigned a Fade In value.

Trying to fade from one value to another, DMX Monitor shows the channels continually scrolling from 0 to 255 until the fade is completed.

Trying to fade from one value to the same value, DMX Monitor shows the Channel drop to 0 then jump back to the value specified.

I have witnessed this on:
Pan Fine
Tilt Fine
Shutter A Rotation/Index Fine
Shutter A In/Out
Shutter B Rotation/Index Fine
Shutter B In/Out
Shutter C Rotation/Index Fine
Shutter C In/Out
Shutter D Rotation/Index Fine
Shutter D In/Out
Gobo 1rotation Fine
Iris fine, or fine rotation of Gobo2

I'm sure other channel definitions experience the same issue.

I initially noticed this in the behavior of my Tomshine Mini Gobo Moving Head, so I tested it with the ADB Warp M, and found it effected other channels.

I've attached a workspace displays the problem. Open the workspace, open DMX Monitor, step through the Chase.

I have verified this in version 4.12.7 in Windows 10 x64
Attachments
Channels Error.qxw
(2.57 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
GGGss

I know there is a problem with the fine channels not doing what they are supposed to. As far as I'm informed, the QLC+ Engine does need a super variable type that can handle the 255+255 mathematics. For the time being, the value of the MSB is copied to the LSB to mimic a fine channel behaviour.
Using or introducing a fade will create havoc since these values do not add up correctly. This is what you see.
For the moment, I stick to none fine channel mode settings with my gear...
This should be addressed once ...
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
kenact

I won't have an opportunity to test this again for 2 weeks. Someone else is in that theater space, but when I get back in there, I'm going to copy and modify the Tomshine definition, setting both Fine channels to a different channel definition, one that works like a standard DMX channel, to see if that fixes the problem for me.

I don't know how that will affect EFX or any other function, but I'll report back on my results.
kenact

GGGss wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:33 pm I know there is a problem with the fine channels not doing what they are supposed to. As far as I'm informed, the QLC+ Engine does need a super variable type that can handle the 255+255 mathematics. For the time being, the value of the MSB is copied to the LSB to mimic a fine channel behaviour.
Using or introducing a fade will create havoc since these values do not add up correctly. This is what you see.
For the moment, I stick to none fine channel mode settings with my gear...
This should be addressed once ...
In my previous post I said I was going to try setting the Pan Fine channel to some other channel definition. After thinking about it, I realized that won't work. Part of the problem is, Pan Fine does not seem to be tied to Pan, and it has to be, in order to get smooth movement. To achieve the smoothest movement when going from Pan=1 to Pan =2, Pan Fine has to scroll up to from its current value to 255, just as Pan gets to 2. If the values aren't coordinated, movement will never be smooth.