Receiving OSC command from Companion

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Windows operating system
w8dev

Howdy all. I've been having some difficulty setting up OSC in QLC+to receive input commands from an OSC plugin inside of Companion (https://bitfocus.io/). I've watched the tutorial videos and searched through the forums and found out that I need to enable the OSC input on the universe, set up a profile for OSC and configure buttons/faders/etc for the appropriate OSC channels. I tried using the TouchOSC profile as well as creating a new profile and adding a single channel to it for testing and there was no change in results.

I set up an OSC plugin inside of Companion to send commands to the IP address of my QLC+computer using port 7700 (default configured in QLC+) but when I trigger the command, nothing seems to be received in QLC+. I installed an OSC monitor on my computer to ensure that the commands were being received on the computer (to rule out a firewall/communication issue) and each time I press the button in Companion, the command is received in the monitor, but nothing happens in QLC+.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction and show me what I'm missing. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them and I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

Thanks,

Adam
gbt64

Hi, I have the same issue. Did you find a solution in the meantime? Thanks
lighthacker2020

Which universe is receiving the OSC input? The OSC port increments by 1 for each additional universe ... so Universe 1 would receive on port 7700, Universe 2 would receive on port 7701 (using the default configuration), and so on ...
gbt64

Hi, universe 1. If you have some command/string examples (OSC path to send together with values/arguments) for universe 1 could help. Companion is working on port 7700, sending the string to the right port. I need some real generic OSC examples with the correct syntax for QLC+. Thank you in advance.
B
w8dev

I did get it working. I'm going from memory right now so I apologize if some of the terminology is incorrect.

I think my biggest issue was with the OSC plugin in Companion. I couldn't get it to work and then I stumbled upon some article which stated the OSC path needed to start with "/qlc+/". So I started creating my own convention with the paths. I would reference in the path what I was using to make the call (button or fader) and then what I was trying to call (house, wash, pars, etc) and I would build out the custom path for each button in companion (whether that's needed or not, I'm not sure). So for example, to call my house lights the OSC path would be "/qlc+/btn/house" and then I would set a value of 1.

On the QLC+ side, I would make a button which called a cue and then I think there's a "learn" button or something like that where you click it and then you can press the button from companion and it will learn the proper command from that button to listen for.

Hope that helps.
JesseFPV

Hi, is there somebody who can share the Bitfocus Companion OSC commands send to QLC+ to change the values of a DMX channel? An example would be great indeed. I'm running in Universe 1.

Hoping somebody is able to point me in the right direction. The message from w8dev did not work for me.
GGGss

All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
JesseFPV

GGGss wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:51 am Maybe you start here: https://docs.qlcplus.org/v4/plugins/osc
Yes I read and tried, however this doc is not very complete. I see the packets received rate increase when I send an OSC message to the QLC. However when I add a button in Virtual Console and use the option 'auto detect input' nothing changes or get 'captured'.

Any tips?

UPDATE:
Got further, my stupid mistake. You HAVE to select FLOAT type in Bitfocus Companion or QLC+ does not do anything with the values send. Hope this important detail will help others.
Last edited by JesseFPV on Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.