Load workspace via button (midi)

Request a feature that you would like to see in QLC+.
Explain in details why you would need it and which is your usage case.
thefungus

Hello,

First of all, thank you for QLC it's been really good to work with for my bands live show lighting.

I use Ableton to send midi messages to trigger the scenes for my lighting. I have opted for this as the QLC show editor is not great for my purposes as it lacks features for good setup in regards to timing to a live song.

The problem I am faced with is I can only send 128 different messages via midi from ableton so its a hard limit of 128 scenes. I can get around this limit by changing workspace whenever I hit the limit. I would like to automate this workspace change so I don't have to do it manually during our show. So if a button can be set to load a new workspace I would really appreciate it. and this is the main feature I am requesting.

The other way to circumvent this limit, would be having 2 input universes that can share 1 output universe. from there I could change the midi channel that feeds QLC and send the next set of commands to the same universe my lighting rig runs from. Currently I can only see the ability to run a parallel universe.

For people using the show editor for a use case like mine which does get around the 128 channel limit nicely. there is a few features that could be integrated to make it more user friendly.
1. ability to zoom in on the timeline for easier placement. this could be further enhanced with snap to beat rather than just snap to bar.
2. when setting the grid to beats rather than time. the time/duration tool should change to beats aswell so it's easier to apply durations.

Thanks for your time and efforts.
MichelSliepenbeek

You could use a Multi Page Frame.
As only the page "on Top" is active, you can assign your Midi Messages to different functions on every different page.
Of course you need to sacrifice a few Midi Messages (Next and Previous, or even better use specific page numbers), but this way you can change pages on the fly.
Be aware that if you copy Buttons/Widgets from one page to another, you need to reassign the External Controll (QLC will put "(page n)" behind the description, to make this connection unique for this page)

Furthermore you can configure the QLC MIDI plugin to receive 16 channels by setting it to Omni Mode (it is the option "before" midi channel 1).
It is important to use an Input Profile and set it up accordingly: so for each Midi Channel for each Midi Message you use, add a meaningfull description.
Attachments
MIDI Plugin.jpg
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
GGGss

thefungus wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:26 am
For people using the show editor for a use case like mine which does get around the 128 channel limit nicely. there is a few features that could be integrated to make it more user friendly.
1. ability to zoom in on the timeline for easier placement. this could be further enhanced with snap to beat rather than just snap to bar.
2. when setting the grid to beats rather than time. the time/duration tool should change to beats aswell so it's easier to apply durations.
Maybe there should be a note included stating that QLC+ is not timecode precise in its current state.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
thefungus

MichelSliepenbeek wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:03 am You could use a Multi Page Frame.
As only the page "on Top" is active, you can assign your Midi Messages to different functions on every different page.
Of course you need to sacrifice a few Midi Messages (Next and Previous, or even better use specific page numbers), but this way you can change pages on the fly.
Be aware that if you copy Buttons/Widgets from one page to another, you need to reassign the External Controll (QLC will put "(page n)" behind the description, to make this connection unique for this page)

Furthermore you can configure the QLC MIDI plugin to receive 16 channels by setting it to Omni Mode (it is the option "before" midi channel 1).
It is important to use an Input Profile and set it up accordingly: so for each Midi Channel for each Midi Message you use, add a meaningfull description.
Not one but 2 perfectly valid solutions that were already there, that I misunderstood when reading the documentation.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I really appreciate it!