Where is DMX USB Output connection data stored?

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Windows operating system
orrinc

I've been using QLC+ with an Enttec USB-DMX interface on a Windows 10 laptop.

On occasion, particularly when reloading the QLC+ program, I have needed to click on the Input/Output tab and re-enable the interface by clicking on the box. I don't know why, but it's usually no big deal to fix it!

Now there is a button on the Windows taskbar that starts the QLC+ system in Kiosk Mode, so it will go directly into Operate Mode with the proper Workspace enabled, since many untrained operators have access to the system, and this keeps them out of the configuration pages.

The Taskbar icon also adds a "Close" button on the Virtual Console screen that quits back to Windows.

It all seems to work, but I'm concerned that if the DMX interface loses its connection in the program, there is no access to the "Input/Output" tab to re-enable it!

I assumed the connection was somewhere in the .QXW file, but browsing through the XML, I see that it is not there (the loopback settings are, though).

Where is that information stored, and how can I be confident that when an operator starts the program in Kiosk Mode, it will always default to the Enttec interface?
GGGss

This is a good catch Orrin.

We all assume that opening a QLC+ show file would retain its connection status - but it doesn't... with multiple interfaces connected. So you have to reselect and rearrange the universes. When the interface(s) has(ve) been disconnected and the Windows USB enumeration restarts you aren't sure.
Some investigation should be in place here.

In my fixed installs, I did opt for the use of a network router configured for its purpose and made use of Artnet to DMX interfaces. When power is applied, after some time all is ready and when the computer (or raspi) is started, it is ready to produce. And this combination works flawlessly and every time again.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
orrinc

Well it did actually happen- in the middle of a concert, the lights suddenly stopped responding to anything from the Virtual Console!!

The only thing I could do was to first unplug the EntTec box from the DMX cable so that the lights would stay as they were, close the program, open up the full version of the program, go to Input/Output, unplug and replug the USB to the dmx box, uncheck the dmx output, re-enable it, go into Operate Mode, select a Scene that was close to what the lights were doing, and then cross my fingers and plug the DMX cable back in and hit the scene again!! 🤪

Fortunately it worked! I suspect the audience hardly noticed, although the drummer asked me later what happened!

Is there any way to lock in this connection in the Workspace? Please!!
GGGss

Ow - that was bad and a good reaction of yourself. (I always have my fixtures to hold their values if DMX fails)

Did you make sure that there is no power setting which applies to your USB ports? Energy saving mode would be the search string. You have to disable the 'power saving' setting on every USB port.
Only now you are sure that over the whole production time, USB ports stay in a connected state.

While in pre-production I make sure that the speaker of the laptop is enabled, so I can hear the USB disconnect/connect sound - meaning I might get in trouble later on.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
orrinc

I will check that next time I am there, but I doubt that it is the reason for the problem- the laptop is plugged in . . . not running on batteries or using any power-saving settings. I'm still looking for a way to store the DMX output USB settings in the config file so worst case I can have the operator quit and restart the program, rather than having to quit and re-open the program in non-kiosk mode to reestablish the DMX connection!
GGGss

orrinc wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:51 pm I will check that next time I am there, but I doubt that it is the reason for the problem- the laptop is plugged in . . . not running on batteries or using any power-saving settings. I'm still looking for a way to store the DMX output USB settings in the config file so worst case I can have the operator quit and restart the program, rather than having to quit and re-open the program in non-kiosk mode to reestablish the DMX connection!
Under normal conditions, these settings are saved inside the project-file. You can find it under the [interface] block.
If for one reason or another, the interface is not present at project startup, you won't see any output. Understandable, since no interface is present. Having the interface replugged and QLC+ reopened (even in kiosk mode) it should find its interface again and starts running.
It is the condition where in the middle of production you lose your interface that worries me the most. Therefore ^^ above comments about USB power saving.